“A Great Place to Stay!”

Best Western Scores Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We were guests at a Wedding in St Andrews and we stayed overnight in The Scores on the night of 31 March. The Scores is a "traditional" Scottish Hotel, with front rooms that offer magnificent views out to sea, and along the Old Course and the famous West Sands. We asked the Hotel for early access to our room so that we could change into our Wedding clothes (their normal time for check in is 1400) and, pleasingly, were given the pass-key at midday, which was ideal, and it meant that there was no mad last minute dash to the Chapel. A friendly and helpful receptionist was able to supply all information we needed about the Hotel. Chariots Bar is a good place for a beer and it also has a good Bar menu. Our room was on the third floor - it wasn't the largest but it was very comfortable, with good views over the town and a nice, clean bathroom with loads of steaming hot water. Good shower in the bath and fluffy, clean towels. Full Breakfast on the Sunday morning was excellent - freshly cooked - and again, we were served by friendly, helpful staff. I am more than happy to recommend this Hotel - a warm welcome, good service and comfortable accommodation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
PhilipRolfe, Manager at Best Western Scores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2012

Dear Ian M,

Thanks for your Trip Advisor review after your brief visit at the end of March. I was pleased to hear of your satisfaction in being able to get into your room at noon, so that you could get changed for the wedding, nothing worse than being rushed when you are getting ready for an important event such as a wedding!

Thanks also for your kind comments about your room, the bathroom and the views, which really are beautiful from the hotel, particularly at sunset and sunrise in good weather.
As food and beverage manager, I was pleased to hear that you had enjoyed your breakfast and also that the staff were friendly and helpful to you- many thanks!

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back at some future time and you can be assured of our best attention for your visit.

Best Wishes,

There are newer reviews for Best Western Scores Hotel

Reviewed 31 March 2012

7 "ladies" on our annual post christmas bash and we had a fantastic overnught stay. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly, from Phil the manager, the bar staff, restuarant staff, reception staff. They were excellent. The hotel was terrific. The rooms had terrific views over the sands and the junior suite was huge. The food both at dinner and breakfast couldn't be beaten. Would definately return

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Margaret M,

Thanks very much for your comments after your post Christmas bash in February. I must admit that it was very nice to meet you and your friends/colleagues, and I was very happy to hear your positive comments about the staff, rooms, service and food. Please do come again, there was plenty of laughing here during your visit!!

Thanks again, your business is much appreciated,

Kind Regards,

Philip

Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed at the Scores Best Western Hotel on a business visit to St Andrews University in March. Sadly I was only able to stay one night but would definitely stay here again. The staff are very friendly and the hotel has a good atmosphere. I was given a room at the front with a lovely view. The internet worked well (essential for me) and the bed was very comfortable. There is building work going on, but guests were given information and prior warning about this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front!
1  Thank pari786

Dear Pari 786,

Please accept my apologies for not responding sooner to your comments which you kindly left on Trip Advisor after your visit here in March. I was very pleased to hear that you so enjoyed your short stay and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back before too long. I have passed on your thanks to the staff, much appreciated!
Many thanks and best wishes,

Philip Rolfe
Food and Beverage Manager.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

We very much enjoyed our two nights stay. The beds were really comfortable and the bathroom was a nice size. Even though there was the construction going on next door, it was quiet. We thought the staff was very friendly and welcoming. And, we really enjoyed the breakfasts - hard to beat the view out the window and the food was excellent. We walked ALL over St. Andrew's and this location was perfect.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
PhilipRolfe, Manager at Best Western Scores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2012

Dear Virginia L,

Really pleased that you had a good short break here and it was great to meet you and the rest of your travelling group. I was also relieved to hear that the construction hadn't adversely impacted upon your stay. Our work to construct six new junior suites will be complete by mid June and the works to Hamilton hall ( next door to us ) will be complete by the end of this year.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff friendliness, service, food and views.
I have passed these on to the staff and I would like to thank you on behalf of all of us in the Scores hotel team.

I do hope to see you again when you are next in Scotland, hopefully before too long!

Thanks again!

Reviewed 20 March 2012

I have stayed here 3 times in as many months and just love returning,The location is superb.A short walk into town centre and views over the bay and sands are unbeatable,I could happily sit in the lounge with that view and not move again !!The rooms are extremely comfortable. Good size with VERY COMFORTABLE BEDS!! The food is excellent with a varied menu and well cooked.
The main asset tho of any Hotel is the staff and Everyone here is absolutely first class.Well run and polite helpful people make it a joy to visit.Thank you and see you soon,

Room Tip: All I have stayed in are very comfortable but anything with a sea view will give a real WOW factor.

Dear bootsnsaddles,

Thank you for your great feedback after your stay here in March. I was really pleased to hear that you had a good stay and it was nice to see you here again, many thanks for your business!

I am glad that you found the beds comfortable, its always a little difficult to get a bed that suits all customers, but you are right, they are pretty comfortable I think.
I have passed on your kind comments to the chef and all the staff and I thank you for these on their behalf.

We all look forward to welcoming you back sometime later this year.

Kind Regards and best wishes,

Reviewed 20 March 2012

Just two "negatives" first. They are doing some refurbishment work .. so expect a little tatty-ness in corridors. And, its out of season, so only the lounge was open for drinks and food etc. BUT ... it didn't really matter ...

Apart from a warm welcome from the staff, and excellent service from the restaurant supervisor (Gill I think) ... the hotel location is great. You Breakfast looking over the bay and the old course ... simply beautiful.

The other major plus for me, was the bed. The most comfortable bed I have slept in for years. I got a really decent nights sleep before a very important meeting.

Finally .. what a breakfast too. The Full Scottish breakfast buffet - including haggis of course - really set me up for the day.

I hope to be returning to St. Andrews soon .. may even try and make a weekend out of it too!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
PhilipRolfe, Manager at Best Western Scores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Dear Pete 2306,

Many thanks for your review of our hotel, after your stay here last month. Apologies for the building work that is going on here, I appreciate that it doesn't show us in the best light, so to speak, but all our works will be done by early/ mid June and we should have things back to "spick and span" for then! The works to Hamilton Hall, which are next door and are not under our control, should be completed by the end of this year. We will have six great new rooms/suites to show for our work, so it will be worth it.

Great to hear that you slept well, that's often a problem in hotels that have old beds. Ours are all less than two years old, thankfully.

Thanks also for your kind comments about breakfast, and glad to hear that you enjoyed the haggis too!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, thanks again for taking the time and trouble to review the hotel.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 19 March 2012

The location is the best point about this hotel - ideal for golfers, a walk on the beach and walking distance of the centre of St Andrews. The staff are very friendly and I'm sure would help you with anything if you asked. There is a steep staircase as you walk in the front door and nobody available to help you carry your luggage, unless you go up the stairs to ask. Parking is also 'first come, first served' so you may end up having to carry your luggage a long way! My room was comfortable, but a little pokey and also cold upon arrival. I was three minutes late for breakfast on Sunday morning (which I accept was my fault), but I was 'told off' by the head waitress and given an explanation of how the restaurant had to be prepared for lunch. Breakfast was very tasty with a wide choice available.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, which I did, but didn't get one anyway!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Loretta137,

Thank you very much for your recent review. I was glad to hear that you mostly found our hotel satisfactory and I was particularly pleased to hear that you commended the staff on their friendliness.

With regard to help carrying luggage, there is always someone to assist with this and whilst we do not have a concierge (or porters) as such, this can easily and quickly be arranged. Apologies for your room being cold on arrival, it should not have been so and I am very sorry for this. I suspect this was because we have been doing substantial work to our hot water tanks, (increasing their capacity, mainly) and we have had some occasional problems since with air in the system.

I am sorry you were " told off" by someone in the restaurant at breakfast, three minutes late really isn't a major issue and I am sorry for this rudeness and inflexibility on our part.
Nevertheless, I was really glad to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and that you were very happy with the food and choices available.

Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee a sea view, but we always try our best to oblige, depending on how busy the hotel is.

We look forward to welcoming you back before too long and if you call or e mail me when you have made your booking, I will see what can be done to give you a view of the waves!

Best wishes,