Agnes Blackadder Hall - University of St Andrews
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed for 1 night and had a great experience, the staff were so helpful and friendly. The room was slightly small but perfectly adequate and clean. Breakfast was really good better than some budget hotels I have stayed in. For St Andrews prices I felt it was really worth staying there, especially as it was just for 1 night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed from a Monday until a Friday and I had no problems with the room, the food or the staff.
Staff were friendly and immediately changed my room when asked-only to get a view. It was not their fault that the view was not great.
For the price in St Andrews I would rate it highly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed for 3 nights as part of a conference package and as such it was good value for money.
The breakfasts are excellent - lots of choice on the hot fresh cooked food, large range of baked items(croissants, 3 types of pastry, bread, rolls), 3 choices of fruit salad plus fresh fruit, cheese, meat, cereal and porridge. Drinks wise there was juice, 2 varieties of milk, wide range of teas and fairly decent coffee. Its all served canteen style in a light airy dining room.
We had a double room and it was on the small side, especially if you had a large case, but it had all that we needed.
The 'complaints' (all quite minor) that we had were - rooms very stuffy, towels very small and thin (take your own if possible!), machines such as washing/drinks vending are all independent so problems cannot be rectified by staff, and the beds were just 'ok' - not the most comfortable
Its well located but be aware is a good 15 minute walk to the town.
Our main 'compliment' that we had is- staff all very friendly,
All in all we would recommend and would stay again dependent on the room rate. If I was paying myself I would say its worth about £60 for two people in a double room - and this is mainly due to the location, the friendly staff and large breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I booked a week so that I could attend The Open within walking distance. This was at the last Open 2010 I paid over £600. The service, the food, the rooms were all appallingly bad. So much so that I cut short my visit as I could not stomach the filth and the poor food any longer. The staff were totally unresponsive and could not have cared a jot. There was supposed to be a viewing TV so that folks could watch the progress of the Open. Only one large TV screen in a public room - (not in private rooms) - and they couldn't even get that to work. The chairs were broken and battered. Internet service was down. The canteen was filthy. Tables were not wiped at all. Plates and cutlery were left in heaps on the collecting areas without being taken away by staff. They clearly had used students who had not even been given protective clothing to cover up their own shoddy jeans and hair was not tied back. They had no idea how to serve and just slopped food on to your plate. The quality of the cooking was disgusting. I cannot think of a worse place I have ever stayed in my life. I frequently stay in YHAs and they are complete palaces compared to St Andrews University. The University certainly play on the fact that accommodation is so rare during The Open Week but anywhere would be better than this place to stay.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank jehsuffolk
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Main positive was the free breakfast. The rooms were of the poorest quality and the staff was rude and not responsive. One main criticism was that the hotel advertised internet but did not specify that it wasn't free. When we tried to pay for internet the connection within the entire hotel was down. Staff refused to grant us the free conference wi-fi code to accomodate. Staff also refused to adjust the rate to accomodate for the lack of internet service. Would not recomend staying here if at all possible.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the check in desk. Our room was a far walk.
Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2013

At £85 a night, I must say I expected better, £55 would have been more realistic. Our room was miles from the reception area. You wouldn't want to leave something in the car because it was a real trek to get back to it. The room was cramped and dated with a very thin duvet and there wasn't even a proper showerhead in the treacherous shower room. There was a small old school TV and thin curtains that let in the morning light. Breakfast choice and quality were good but on the first morning it was like arriving at an African watering hole - so many guests chowing down.

I went to reception and said we weren't happy with the accommodation and wished to have our money back for the second night so that we could go and stay elsewhere. We had paid our money up front in good faith. However, the receptionist's hospitality philosophy seemed to be "The customer is always wrong". We should have known what to expect. If we stayed anywhere else in St Andrews we would have to pay more. You can't cancel - it was in the small print when you booked etc..

Now I despise complaining and in the end I had to say - "So you are forcing us to stay here then?" She wouldn't even agree to that even though it was clear we weren't going to simply donate £85 to the university for a second night no-stay. But what really got me is when fifteen minutes later - returning from our distant room, I overheard the same receptionist happily relating to a colleague how she had just had to deal with a difficult "English" customer - in other words me! I hovered close to the reception counter and heard it all. Quite disgraceful and most disrespectful. My request had been firm but courteous and legitimate though it fell on deaf ears. I would never, ever stay at Agnes Blackadder again.

Room Tip: Why not seek accommodation in Crail or Anstruther instead?
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neil_in_Sheffield_UK
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed the night after a friends wedding. Great value for money especially for St Andrews. Rooms small but well laid out and very clean. Breakfast was excellent. Located about 15 min walk from centre so well positioned.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple