I stayed in University Hall for 3 nights at the end of June. Accommodation was in short suply in St Andrews as it was graduations week, and I was there for the reunion that follows it, so I'd chosen to stay here, within easy walking distance of the town centre (7-10 minutes)and the Old Course, (5 minutes) rather than look for a hotel further out.
The university accommodation was much more spartan in my day, but this residence was built to convert into a hotel in the summer months. I had a small room, admittedly, but with ensuite shower etc., TV, phone, and good reading lights and desk., and a kettle with a good suply of coffee, teabags etc The rooms - over 500 - are on 3 floors, and there is a lift. On the ground floor there is a cafeteria style restaurant, and a bar, plus vending machines for soft drinks, water and so on.
Breakfast in the restaurant was cafeteria style and more than ample, with porridge and cereals, fresh fruit and 4 types of fruit compote, morning rolls and toast, and w wide selection for the cooked breakfast - not just the usual bacon and eggs, but black pudding, haggis, kippers and Arbroath smokies (a local fish delicacy).
It is self-service - you take your tray and fill up with whatever you want.. and then find a place at the refectory tables. There were not only current graduands and those back at the university for the reunion but golfers, people touring Scotland, even an army platoon, so there was interesting conversation at the meals.
I had one evening meal in the refectory, and this was also excellent - cream of chicken and tarragon soup, stuffed chicken breast with mustard sauce, carrots, cauliflower and Lyonaisse potatoes, and pavlova to follow.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open June-August only. Agnes Blackadder Hall is the University of St Andrews' premier residence. We offer the perfect base for those wanting to explore St Andrews, play on the world famous links courses and discover all that the Kingdom of Fife has to offer during the summer months. Our double rooms all feature an en-suite shower room, television, telephone and tea and coffee making facilities. Family rooms are also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, LateRooms and Agoda so you can book your Agnes Blackadder Hall - University of St Andrews reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Hall - University Of St Andrews Hotel St. Andrews
- Agnes Blackadder Hall - University Of St Andrews Scotland