“Great place”

St Andrews Aquarium
Ranked #14 of 55 things to do in St Andrews
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Step through our doors and be transported into an underwater world of adventure and discovery. Come face to face with some of the most beautiful, fascinating and dangerous creatures of the watery worlds. From British sharks to spiders, lobsters to lionfish, poison dart frogs to piranhas, loveable seals...... and not to forget our fabulous meerkats. Get up close and personal with our daily interactive demonstrations which include Seal feeding at 12 noon and 3pm, Penguin feeding at 2pm, reptile and snake handling sessions at 11.20am and 2.20pm and an informative talk and feeding sessions with our family of Meerkats at 12.20pm and 3.20pm.
6 attraction reviews
“Great place”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Great place to see all different animals ,great staff, good price to come and spend the day there ,Like the seals the most

Visited September 2013

• Greek first
Derby
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“The Deep it isn't”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The small person we took was suitably impressed by the penguins she wanted to see. I thought they looked scruffy and unhappy, although it was a hot day. Personally I have reservations about captive animals/marine life and I'm afraid I was not convinced by St Andrews. The collection is modest, there were meerkats whose presence in my view owed more to advertising car insurance than a genuine concern for the creatures' survival or wellbeing. Accomodation was cramped and if there was any genuine scientific purpose behind the whole enterprise I was not made aware of it. I would be pleased to be corrected if there is. My advice would be, if you want to see what can be acheived with this sort of attraction, then The Deep at Hull is the one to visit. It is better in every respect.

1 Thank mykanaud
Dundee, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A short but sweet outing”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have been to St Andrews many times when I was younger and the Aquarium was always a compulsory visit,therefore it seemed only natural than during a 'coupley' day out in St Andrews with my girlfriend I should revisit the aquarium and see how it holds up in comparison to my memories of the place. Let me first start by saying the location of the Aquarium is fantastic. It is located right next to the beach nestled into the cliffs. We entered the aquarium and were charged 18 pounds for the two of us. A fair price I thought as we were entering an aquarium and were going to spend the afternoon marvelling at some of the oceans weirdest and most wonderful creatures. The enclosures were well maintained complete with interesting panels that gave more information about the animals. There were even interactive quiz puzzles that I'm sure children would enjoy. The animals looked healthy and well looked after and the walkways and corridors were well maintained and tidy. However my only criticism of this otherwise fantastic aquarium was that me and my girlfriend had been able to walk at a leisurely pace, stopping to look at the animals, and still complete a full tour of the aquarium in under forty five minutes. It is a shame that the aquarium is not bigger because it is such a fun day out you don't really want it to end. I know that the aquarium staff or owners cannot do much about this gripe as expansion is extremely limited by the cliffs and the sea. I would also not want to deter anyone from going to this aquarium as it is a fantastic outing, I would however suggest, if you are visiting St Andrews for the day, that you plan to go somewhere else after the aquarium as it is a very short and sweet outing.

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“another lovely day out”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

What a lovely visit for me and my son. Everyone was very nice and smiley. The price was very reasonable especially for a main tourist area and well worth every penny. The only issue I had with the aquariums was that a lot of the tanks didn't list what fish were there. There was a notice about a main fish but some others were completely unknown to us and remain so. The building itself could do with a bit of a face lift but it has been around for quite some time. A wee bit of a worry was access for disabled....we couldn't see anything obvious to make it easier for them (it might have been there but just not obvious). We loved seeing the meerkats being fed and the seals were certainly entertaining. The little café was very friendly but the very limited menu was a bit of a let down (cash and carry jam on our pancakes was a bit disappointing) but the staff were very pleasant. Yes a few tweaks here and there would be beneficial but overall we did enjoy our visit.

Stirling, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Ideal for kids of all ages”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Took the grandchildren for a day out and they thoroughly enjoyed it. A super range of not only aquatics.
We decided to have something to eat in the small cafe. The choice of food is limited and we had to wait a very long time for it but on arrival it was OK. We did notice that there were plenty tables outside and if we returned we would bring a 'picnic'.