“Disappointing”

St Andrews Aquarium
Ranked #14 of 62 things to do in St Andrews
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Step through our doors and be transported into an underwater world of adventure and discovery. Come face to face with some of the most beautiful, fascinating and dangerous creatures of the watery worlds. From British sharks to spiders, lobsters to lionfish, poison dart frogs to piranhas, loveable seals...... and not to forget our fabulous meerkats. Get up close and personal with our daily interactive demonstrations which include Seal feeding at 12 noon and 3pm, Penguin feeding at 2pm, reptile and snake handling sessions at 11.20am and 2.20pm and an informative talk and feeding sessions with our family of Meerkats at 12.20pm and 3.20pm.
Reviewed 8 August 2014

At £29 for a family ticket, our half-hour visit to the aquarium didn`t seem good value for money. They don`t have very much in there - the seals are the highlight ( you might have expected penguins from the picture of one on the sign saying "aquarium this way", but fair enough - they do have more pictures of penguins once you get inside). And a serious business would definately take more trouble over the spelling and punctuation on there captions. I did point out that they
were hard to bare and that cakes weren`t avaliable, but they weren`t interested......

1  Thank gammie2005

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The aquarium is overall in good condition. We paid 17 pounds admission for 1 adult and one student, which is quite a bit overpriced as you can easily walk trough the whole aquarium in under one hour. You can see turtles, various fresh- ands saltwater fish, like piranhas, fire fish, and there is even a small shark. They also have seals and pingiuins outside the aquarium, but as it was raining we haven't watched them for too long. They also have meercats, various reptiles and spiders. Some of the enclosures appear rather small, but that's nothing new in an aquarium... there have also been a lot of kids, so it was quite noisy. I would recommend to visit the aquarium if you have kids, bad weather or enough time, otherwise there are better attractions around St. Andrews.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We went here with our two girls aged 12 and 9. We found that you must take advantage of the planned talks and handling sessions. Otherwise you could be in and out in an hour. We found it to be interesting and informative. The good point is that you can leave at any time , and go back in. After we'd seen everything , we went out , had lunch and returned for a penguin talk. The young man doing the talks and demonstrations was good and showed genuine interest in what he was doing. We really enjoyed it , but it might not be for everyone.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Great place to see all different animals ,great staff, good price to come and spend the day there ,Like the seals the most

Reviewed 31 July 2014

The small person we took was suitably impressed by the penguins she wanted to see. I thought they looked scruffy and unhappy, although it was a hot day. Personally I have reservations about captive animals/marine life and I'm afraid I was not convinced by St Andrews. The collection is modest, there were meerkats whose presence in my view owed more to advertising car insurance than a genuine concern for the creatures' survival or wellbeing. Accomodation was cramped and if there was any genuine scientific purpose behind the whole enterprise I was not made aware of it. I would be pleased to be corrected if there is. My advice would be, if you want to see what can be acheived with this sort of attraction, then The Deep at Hull is the one to visit. It is better in every respect.

1  Thank mykanaud