“Excellent one night stay”
Review of The Russell Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Andrews
The Russell Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Excellent one night stay”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed here with an Itison voucher and found everything to be first class. The food at both dinner and breakfast was very tasty with the mussels in Thai spices one of the highlights. Dinner was served in the bar with a roaring fire, very couthie! The service was friendly and helpful, the room very good. The location is perfect with free street parking just outside.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Finnish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Had a fantastic one night stay at this welcoming hotel. From the owner to a lovely girl called Lizzie we were left wanting for nothing. All three meals were presented by someone who knows the in and out of good service, and when this occurs with food carefully prepared you cannot fail to be impressed.
What shines through at this little hotel is that staff when happy at their job will always excel and this is true of the staff here who even when their shift has finished, still take the time to explain a scenic route around St Andrews! Couple this with the perfect Scottish breakfast to set you on your way, means that the next trip to this hotel cant come soon enough!
Thanks to all concerned. Hope to see you again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stephen5057
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Staying here for one nite and wishing we could stay longer.had a fabulous meal in the hotel restaurant of venison pate then venison again for my main. Superb, is all I can say. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. They even brought ur drinks over to ur table when we returned to the lounge. I would definitely come back here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jfrd
glasgow
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night "January 31st",room small and basic and could do with new pillows,I had read here that our room "6" had problems with the grout in the shower room etc etc but all that had been taken care of and the whole room was very clean, unfortunately the smokers stand under room 6 window and we did get a whiff of tobacco from them,gross.
Had a table booked for dinner at 6.30 so went down early for a drink and glad we did because the staff were top notch and took great care of us all evening, food superb and the drinks went down a treat too.
Room basic but staff and quality of food and drink more than make up for it.
Would we stay here again, yes.......

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Quigley's Point, Ireland
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

First timers met by a smiley friendly Alex on arrival and from then on they stay got better & better.
Drinks served with a smile from a well stocked bar followed by 5 * food I had the steak my husband had smoked haddock then we both had the cheese board with a great selection to choose from accompanied by oat cakes and chutney.
Gordon the owner went round the tables to make sure his guest were being well looked after while making entertaining chat
Location 1st class and only 200 yards from the 1st tee.
The rooms were cozy , breakfast was fully loaded plenty of choice and all the staff were excellent through out, overall 10/10 & will defo stay here again

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank annie1960
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here recently for 1 night as a belated birthday treat. The room was ok but small and had an odd layout which wasn't at all practical. However, it was only for one night and the beds were comfortable. We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was amazing! I had venison in a red wine jus with Stornoway black pudding and vegetables. I was so full afterwards but found a small square inch of space for the Panettone bread and butter pudding with butterscotch sauce which was equally delicious. The food quality at dinner was so good I was looking forward to breakfast the next day and I wasn't disappointed! We were there on a deal so paid half price but I would say the room wasn't worth the normal rate of £160 for the night but the hotel is close to the famous Old Course and they can charge whatever they like and people especially golfers will pay it. I highly recommend the food and would go back for a meal in the future.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
aberdeen
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We visited on an Itison deal (note to self - check Tripadvisor in future!) When I phoned to book the room I was offered a sea view room at an additional £10 per person supplement which I agreed to because of the enthusiastic description given to me over the phone, from this I pictured a spacious room with a lovely view. A sea view room it is, however it is in no way spacious and because check in isn't until 4pm we could only appreciate the view in the morning, certainly not worth additional £20! The room itself has a large bed, I.e., two singles together but there is little or no room around the side of the bed, although there is an armchair at the foot of it to sit and appreciate the view, when you can see it. The whole room is tired looking but the en-suite is the most shocking, instantly you are faced with black grout in the shower - no excuse for this, bleach and a toothbrush is the answer! The shower itself provides a pitiful trickle of water but the water is the least if your worries as the faulty extractor which comes on with the light will have you deafened as about a minute it gives out this horrendous noise!

Now for the restaurant. No idea how they got 1 rosette, certainly not with the food we were served! Firstly on arrival in the bar we were given a menu, NOT the one on the website! We never said anything as we were relying on the fact that it was 1 rosette so no matter, must be
good!? How wrong were we! I had the salmon in panco breadcrumbs which was served with Brussels sprouts!! My partner had the Beef shin which was as tough as an old boot, also served with sprouts! This was all bad enough but imagine our dismay when the table across from us were given the website menu and ordered main dishes including venison and lamb. Whether these would have been cooked any better we cannot say but the suggestion would be that little effort is made for people staying on a deal which of course then isn't any deal other than a bad one!

I did mention all of the above to the girl who checked us out but her answer re the menu was that they were only serving off the festive one, of course she had no explanation when I advised that another table had been given the website menu option. She asked if I'd like the owner to give me a call to discuss to which I agreed but the call unsurprisingly enough never came!

Room Tip: Avoid the "Sea view" in winter months, save £10 supplement per person and your ears!
Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple