“Excellent stay - highly recommended”
Review of The Russell Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Andrews
The Russell Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 23 September 2009

Food was excellent, staff very friendly, responsive (got up 5am and left travel breakfast when we had an early start)
From my bed a beautiful view of the North Sea.
Rooms comfortable, location perfect for St Andrews

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 August 2009

I have to disagree with one of my travel companions who was disappointed by a mishap with the bill at the Russell hotel. In my experience, it was one of the warmest and most friendly environments that i have ever stayed in, and they showed a true willingness to go above and beyond for their guests. It was a first rate experience, as well as a perfect location and nice rooms.

Reviewed 30 July 2009

Tripadvisor had been a great help to me when planning our recent family vacation to Scotland & Ireland. Thank you,thank you to the one who recommended Room 5. The view of the Old Course as well as the Sea View is wonderful and only a minutes walk to the course,and the quaint St.Andrews Square for shopping and restaurantsand sights. My husband and son golfed 36 holes everyday for 3-days and how relaxing to come back to a clean & comfortable room. The staff are super and the breakfast & dinner in their restaurant is delicious. My two teenage children had Room 6 right next door to ours and it was like our own small apartment. Truely a trip to remember.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Excellent location with great views- convenient to 1st tee Old Course and village. Cozy , comfortable atmosphere with friendly , helpful staff. Great food with good variety. Strongly recommended- particularly the " golf package " if available

Reviewed 22 May 2009

Before I slate this hotel, the chamber maids/ front office staff and bar staff have great vibrant personalities.
On the negative side we had been told the meals were included in our room rate, this was confirmed by their staff so our group ate at their pricey restaurant under the provisio " the meal prices aren't relevant to you your group is on the golf package" This was also confirmed later in the night by the owner Gordon...We as a group had a nasty surprise equating to around 70+% of the room price added on for the two dinners we had been told were included in the package. On leaving there was no compromise hence my title the customer is wrong. I hope this serves as a warning to others staying in this hotel to double and triple check what their package includes. Their are many great little hotels in this part of St Andrews and myself and my social club of 20+ golfers arent hurrying back to the Russell anytime soon!

1  Thank Passport_Stamps2
Reviewed 6 December 2008

This was a trip for 6 golfers on the superb value winter package that is on offer from the St Andrews Links trust. You are offered a selection of hotels with the package that starts in late october and runs until march. I chose the Russell based on some good reviews in Trip Advisor and it did not disappoint. In fact I think it surpassed our expectations. A very friendly hotel, exceptional food and fantastic atmosphere. Rooms are basic but clean and fresh. Ours had just had the en suite refitted but others in the party felt the bathrooms let them down. The 3 nights package includes a guaranteed round on the old course, a round on the new course and a third on Jubilee. Inc. Dinner, bed , breakfast and golf and vouchers for your lunch in the clubhouse, it was £420 - amazing when you think some lesser courses charge £250 per round.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank YorkshireDeeso
Reviewed 7 November 2008

A truly delightful hotel -- well run, friendly staff and ownership, comfortable rooms with character, a relaxing pub, and great food. Oh, and the location couldn't be better!

My wife and I chose the Russell while visiting our son, a second-year student at the University. Because of my logistical slip, we had one room for the first night, and a different for the second two. The first night we had the most incredible view over the North Sea. The second room provided a bit more space, especially in the bathroom. Both were a great fit with the location, and very comfortable.

We had dinner in the hotel our first night in town, and it was excellent. When in Scotland... My wife had the lamb, and I the venison. Both were very well prepared and creatively presented. If you stay here, make certain to have at least one dinner "in house."

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Nick P