All reviews venison family run hotel large bay cullen skink bar meals itison voucher mussels cosy bar golf package golfers and non golfers lovely lunch small hotel sea view charming hotel excellent location continental breakfast a wee bit
Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

I’m here with my husband and his friends for a golf trip, tagging along. We booked The Russell as part of a golf package. The minute we got into our room, we broke the curtain rod , which is a problem because the sun sets very late and rises very early! We went down to reception and reported it and within moments we met the owners’ son, Michael, who said he’d fix it right away. We walked around town and when we returned it was fixed! This story is representative of the superb customer service you can expect at The Russell.

They had a Continental Breakfast set out every morning, and also offered a Full Scottish if you wanted it. I only had the continental but the men all said their hot brekkies were delicious.

One night the golfers were late returning so I went down to the bar. Michael saw me and despite it being crowded and busy, he found me a table and I loved my dinner.

I’m very sad to leave today! I’m very very comfortable at The Russell, not only in my room but with the staff. Everyone is so nice and friendly. The location also can’t be beat for golfers and non-golfers alike. Highly recommended!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

Quality excellent food and a great range of wine & drinks. Everything cooked fresh from locally sourced merchants.
All staff were very friendly, engaging & attentive.
Looking forward to eating here again on our next trip to St Andrews

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2018

From start to finish a great experience.
We were a group of 8 male golfers celebrating a birthday within our group.
Some great advice given during our booking process which aided our booking.
I've stayed here twice before, so knew what to expect but always conscious on what the rest of my group thought?
Not disappointed, Food excellant with choices to meet all taste buds. Warm and friendly bar that's well stocked and priced fairly. Rooms comfortable with all provisions catered for.
Michael and his team made our trip from going out of his way when one of our group left his clubs at the Castle course!! and that was day one, to making calls to the Jubliee course and enquiring for our group.
We travelled from North west England to St Andrews by train ( Leuchars is the closest station) and then used a local taxi company for transfers ( HM taxis) Reliable, well priced and friendly service.
As for location, an easy 5 minute walk to the old course.
If anyone reads this and wants an un-baised opinion, please feel free to contact me.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2018

We bought a golf package including this hotel. When we arrived a bit late from Carnoustie we were greeted with smiles and the staff was very helpful.
Next morning we had a good scottish breakfast. Very good and staff again high service from the staff. My friend lost his golf clubs on the way to Aberdeen. One from the staff offered my friend to lend him his clubs.
Nice little family hotel with great location and a very helpful and serviceminded staff. We are coming back

Room Tip: Ask for room nr. 5 or 6
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lars S
Reviewed 19 April 2018

We started with drinks in the bar and a most charming bartender made us gin and tonics with a special Scottish gin. Later we moved into the dining room for dinner. It is a bit of a formal setting...very nice in an old fashioned way. We had the 3-course...Mussels...Brown Crab...Rhubarb desserts. A bottle of Muscadet Sur-Lie paired nicely. I would highly recommend this restaurant for a leisurely evening!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple