“Comfortable (eventually)”
Review of The Russell Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Andrews
The Russell Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 12 March 2011

I had booked this hotel several months in advance and the price we agreed was quite a bit more than advertised. I agreed £85 per night for myself as there was no single room. When I arrived at the hotel, ditto to all the comments about reception in the bar, but I was glad to have been prepared! My room was TINY, dark and looked onto walls and an alley. I was deeply disappointed, especially as it was all done in advance.
To be fair, I asked for a change and although I was made feel uncomfortable, I moved to a brighter room as the hotel was not full. I just cannot figure out why they put me in that room in the first place and I wonder if lone female travelers get treated a little worse in general.
On the whole, a nice enough place with decent breakfast and very pleasant staff. Not a wholly comfortable lounge for a hotel, more just open use of the bar area. I would grade it as more of a Guest House than hotel, but it is overall OK

• Stayed: March 2011
There are newer reviews for The Russell Hotel

Reviewed 10 March 2011

stayed at this hotel in early march, room 5 which has three large bay windows which allow an enormous amount of natural light. Enjoyed our stay with just a few niggles. we only ate at breakfast, which was efficient and friendly & offered a good selection. We did not eat in the evening & tried other restaurants. Avoid the glass house over priced & the staff were unsure what they were selling. The Russell is slightly dated & could do with some money being spent inside the establishment, no heated towel rail & would prefer quilt rather than blankets. Overall we enjoyed the stay but if we returned to St Andrews would look for other accommodation

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2011

We stayed at the Russell Hotel for the sixth time last weekend and enjoyed it just as much as previous stays. A warm welcome from all staff greeted us. Food was of a very high standard as usual. We look forward to see Gordon and staff again in two years' time. Perhaps a lick of paint here and there by then might be a good idea?

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 1 September 2010

This is my fourth trip in the last three years and I can say that without a doubt it's my best travel time of the year. The staff is what MAKES the place. Helen and Sandra give it the personal touch whether it be at an 8am breakfast or 12AM pint. In addition to the personal touch, the food is probably the BEST that you will have in St. Andrews. It is a MUST SEE whether you are planning on staying there or dining there. My guess is that if you dine there you will decide to stay there as well! GREAT HOTEL & RESTAURANT!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I just returned from a 6 night golf trip with 7 friends. The Russell Hotel was the perfect place to stay. The location was ideal. Spectacular views of St. Andrews Bay from our rooms. Close enough to walk with our clubs to St. Andrews clubhouses. In the heart of the town with easy access to shops, pubs and restaurants. The staff were top notch. Gordon, the owner, was very friendly and helpful with anything we needed. The restaurant at the hotel got high marks from all the locals we talked to and our dinner there was the best of the week. The Scottish breakfast each morning was also a treat. They even put out a continental breakfast for us the last day when we had to leave at 5am. The bar was stocked with local beers, a great Scotch selection and a friendly bartender. I highly recommend the Russell to golfers and non-golfers visiting St. Andrews.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2010

We found this little hotel by chance, arriving late the sunday evening in which the International Opens of Saint Andrews (one of the most important golf match in the world) ended, so to find a free room was really a luck. It is located five minutes by foot from the green of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews where the golf has been ruled for the first time. It has about 15 rooms, all with bathroom. The price per night for a double room was of £ 120,00, a succulent breakfast included. The room was clean and large, with a breathtaking view on the beaches of St. Andrews.
The hotel has a little, cosy and good restaurant, in which you can have a dinner with two courses for about £ 35 per person, wine included. The lounge bar offers also the possibility of a light meal, with a wide selection of salades and typical Scottish plates.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We went to visit on a spur of the moment decision. My wife and i had stayed in the Russell before but this time our 9 year old boy was with us. We were greeted by a really helpful young lady who made us feel really welcome. A room was quickly found for us and we went out for a walk round the town. When we ruturned we went for a drink in the bar which was being run by the owner, Mr De Vries. As is was quiet he came over for a chat and immediately made our son feel very comfortable. We were a bit unsure how he would get on with the resturant menu but were told that he could order from the bar menu or simply ask for whatever he wanted and the chef would sort him out. As it was he had the beef and ale pie and loved every mouthful. My wife and i ordered from the resturant menu and it was simply sensational. We had the 3 courses and ordered wine and for what we paid it was a steal. To sum up our day , my son said halfway through his meal that he wanted to come back to the Russell soon as it was the best hotel he had been to in Scotland. Now, granted he has not been to many but he knows what he likes . My wife and i have been to a good few hotels which are about the same size as the Russell and i can honestly say it is exceptional. The only down side that i could see was that our room could be doing with getting redecorated but that aside it was great stay. If you are looking for really helpful staff, friendly owners and superb food then The Russell is for you. We will certainly be going back later in the summer

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family