All reviewscandy flosstom morrismusselsitison voucherafternoon teastandard roomsea viewwest sandsboutique hotellovely lunchlovely hotelbreakfast staffchecking outgreat roomwaiting staffbreakfast was excellenta lovely stay
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Decided to book a couple of nights at the new Hotel du Vin in St. Andrews following a fantastic recent trip to the HDV in York. I wish we hadn't bothered. Booked to stay 2 nights DBB in the Old Tom Morris room. On arrival it was clear the hotel was experiencing some teething problems, having just opened a few weeks previously - workmen coming and going, less than confident service and further decorating required. Disappointingly some of the basics didn't seem to be in place, for instance carpets needing to be hoovered and lots of cigarette ends outside the hotel's main steps. Room itself was okay, large and with a nice bed and bathroom, albeit bathroom fan was extremely loud and always on when light was on. Nice coffee from machine in room but no milk provided, plus one of the cans in the mini bar had been opened then hidden at back. Dinner in evening was decent enough - tasty food and friendly service. Sadly, on returning to room we realised the sound-proofing in room was non-existent, with music from downstairs continuing until 1am making for a shocking night's sleep. Room also very warm - surprised that, in this day and age, there was no air-con in room. Hotel offered to move us to another room the next morning, which we agreed to. Two problems... First off, they told us they couldn't move us for a few hours as maintenance work on the wooden floor in the room was required and it needed to dry. They then agreed to cancel this work. When we did get to the room, the Young Tom Morris room on 3rd floor (via stairs as lift was out, being "maintained"), we decided it wasn't acceptable - not a great room, with hairs on the toilet seat not giving a good sense of cleanliness. So, for the first time ever, we left midway through a hotel stay and headed home. All in all, a truly dreadful experience. It is clear this hotel opened its doors way too early and, as a consequence, it is now playing catch-up, to the detriment of the guests' experience. No way I would ever return to this hotel, and would think twice about returning to another HDV. For anyone wanting to visit this hotel I'd suggest waiting a few months until the teething problems are resolved.

Room Tip: Higher floors will be quieter from noise / music in public areas of hotel; parking at front of hotel a lottery so stay patient and be prepared to move car when a space becomes available; watch out for "pre-authorisation"... After fully settling bill when leaving the "charge", which we were assured wouldn't be taken, is still showing as pending on our bank account.
4  Thank NB-Traveller1969
HDVST , General Manager at Hotel Du Vin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your stay with us.

I was disappointed to read that your experience did not match your expectations on this occasion, and would be keen to discuss this in further detail with you.

Please contact me on niall.thompson@hotelduvin.com or on 01334 472611. I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards

Niall Thompson

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We've just returned from a one night stay at the newly opened Hotel du Vin & Bistro in St Andrews. We were visiting the Uni as a family so had two rooms between us. Although the hotel had only been open for two weeks (they are still painting and decorating a bit) we were really impressed by the friendly and efficient service of the staff there. The rooms were excellent, very modern with super comfy beds. We had rooms over-looking West Sands so the views were stunning. The breakfast was excellent as was our evening meal. We liked it so much we stopped by for lunch before leaving St Andrews and enjoyed a great bar meal of fish & chips and croque monsieur - delicious! The hotel probably isn't the best for small children as it feels quite 'grown up' but it is opposite the beach... Overall I'd highly recommend this hotel and imagine that the other hotels nearby will need to up their game. The only downside...the food is a little pricey.

Room Tip: Superior sea view rooms are good and the Young Tom Morris suite on the third floor is roomy, has a lovely bathroom and gorgeous views of West Sands.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Suequ
HDVST , General Manager at Hotel Du Vin, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for your wonderful feedback; I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We love St.Andrews, where I was born many years ago,so when we received a flyer about this new Hotel we decided to give it a try...we like Hotel du Vin brand. The booking process was a battle , probably because St. Andrews was not yet functioning but we persevered and eventually also managed to book dinner too. The location is magnificent and the decor is typical of the Group....strikingly attractive if a little dark. Our room faced the sea and was very pleasant, although a dripping shower, no receptacles for soap etc. in the shower,two failed light bulbs,and no dressing table or mirror for my wife to apply make-up and so on was rather irritating. Dinner Menu looked great and although my wife's Scallops and the lobster were good, alas my mussels were stewed to tasteless and the steak which followed was inedible. There were problems with the wine too....being told,in error by a waiter that the wine we had ordered was not good enough to be allowed to breathe,and would not benefit from a decanter is inexcusable. His later apologies were profuse and his offer to waive the £82 charge was generous, if a bit late in the day. The gen. Managerwas also very apologetic and said there would be no charge for the unacceptable food.
Alas the next day the wine had been charged, apparently on the instruction of the GM, without reference to me! Our omelettes At breakfast were a bit leathery and the plastic attitude of the receptionist disappointing to say the least. In fact the only saving grace for our stay was the smile and TLC of a delightful waitress called Zoe.
Much snagging to be corrected and a mountain to climb in terms of food and service/attitude.

Room Tip: Sea facing is a must!
3  Thank DJM-JBM13

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your experience with us.

I was disappointed to read that your experience did not match to your expectations on this occasion, and would be keen to discuss this in further detail with you.

Kind Regards

Niall Thompson

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We decided to try the newly opened Hotel du Vin in St Andrews, as we are regular users of this group of hotels, and we love to visit St Andrews. We are really glad we did, the room we had (jr suite, Highland park) had a truly stunning view of St Andrews Bay and Beach and was appointed to the usual standards and style one expects from boutique hotels. The Bistro served good food, with an excellent wine list, and again views across St andrews bay are available.

I will save my highest praise for the staff, they were still coming to terms with the ropes, but they were universally a wonderfully friendly and welcoming lot. I hesitate to single anyone out, but Paul who worked front of house was great.

Room Tip: Any room at the front affords great views across the spectacular Bay, we had highland Park and is thoroughly recommended
1  Thank Osker17

Thank you for your lovely feedback; I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future to enjoy our views and hospitality.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I was in StA by myself for a Sunday. I was also hungry and the fridge was empty. So I headed out for dinner with my family texting me to say try somewhere new.
It doesn't much newer than the new Hotel du Vin. Open a few days on the Scores and a couple of minutes walk . Getting a table was no problem and the wifi logged itself on to my iPad immediately.
The menu is a good mix of traditional French and Scottish food.
I chose the mussels with apple and baby leeks ( Normandy ) and a fillet steak with veg .
The mussels arrived in a large pot , piping hot . However after eating a few I realised they had given me the parsley and cream option. Not a big issue . They were lovely. The staff apologised and offered to take it off the bill. As I had eaten the lot I was happy to pay for them.
The steak was excellent but the 2 veg were fantastic . A huge pile of beautifully cooked fresh carrot in a little butter and wilted spinach with garlic. These were fresh , great portions and well cooked..
I don't generally eat pudding but the options I saw round the restaurant looked good.
I will definitely bring my family here and I suspect I'll need to book from now on.
It's not a cheap dinner out but with this quality and portion size it is decent value.

Room Tip: I only ate at the restaurant
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank AilsaCalum

Thank you for your lovely feedback; I am delighted that you enjoyed your dinner so much with us at Hotel du Vin St Andrews. We hope to welcome you back to our Bistro in the near future.