“Saint Andrews Experience”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Fullerton, California
“Saint Andrews Experience”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The hotel staff went out of their way to make sure all our needs were met. We arrived after the kitchen had closed but the chef still agreed to prepare dinner for us. We also had to leave early for the airport and had not checked on when breakfast was served. We came down an hour before they opened. Again they were willing to prepare our breakfast even though they were not open. The hotel is a small hotel and definitely tries to make their guest comfortable. The rooms are very nice but are on the small size. They have plenty of storage in the rooms. There is a special storage area for golf clubs. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The ocean view gave some amazing early morning and evening views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
HDVST , General Manager at Hotel Du Vin, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for your lovely feedback, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Hotel du Vin St Andrews.

We pride ourselves on providing exceptional service to our guests, and we are very happy to help and go beyond expectations to provide guests with the perfect stay.

Please do let us know if you are planning another stay in St Andrews for the near future - we would love to welcome you back.

Niall Thompson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We booked the hotel for one night and included breakfast in our package. Our room was on the 3rd floor and was quite small, in fact the bed just about filled the entire room. Firstly the plus points - it was very clean with a great bathroom and shower and nice toiletries however the mattress was really too soft and we both had sore backs by morning. Perhaps we are just used to a firmer mattress. The room was really hot even though we managed to open the window wide. We made a cup of tea from the facilities provided however there was no milk so we couldn't drink it. Perhaps the simple things need more attention than the extras like the rather expensive mini bar. Breakfast was very nice but we would have preferred a hot buffet as we waited a while to order our hot food. All in all a nice looking hotel and very clean but a slight disappointment.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joanne B
HDVST , General Manager at Hotel Du Vin, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your experience with us.

I was disappointed to read that your experience did not match to your expectations on this occasion, and would be keen to discuss this in further detail with you.

Please contact me on niall.thompson@hotelduvin.com or on 01334 472611. I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel du Vin on a golf package. The accommodations were wonderful. Coming from the US you have to be prepared that there is no air conditioning and the windows in the too only open approximately 6" from the bottom and there were no fans (if returning I would pack a small fan to circulate the air. With sunrise bring at 4:30 a.m. in June (actually woke us around 3:45 a.m.) you had to close the curtains to darken the room and then there was no air circulating.

The staff was outstanding. After the first day they knew us and our preferences at breakfast. Our room accommodations came with a complimentary Scottish breakfast (cereal, fruit, juice and Danish). Have to try the chocolate croissant they were wonderful.

The bed was very comfortable, but again as an American, missed having a sheet and not just a duvet when it was so warm in the evening. Heard other guests talking about how much warmer it was on the upper floors. We were on the 1st floor above the lobby. Our room was gorgeous because it overlooked the North Sea.

To any ladies traveling, in our room you had to plug the provided hair dryer in an outlet behind a chair and navigate the cord to get in front of the provided mirror. I managed by the 3rd day to figure out how to stack pillows to sit in front of the mirror and dry my hair since there was not a desk chair to use and the seating chairs were too large.

Hotel du Vin exceeded my expectations and I would highly recommend if staying in St. Andrews. Convenient to the Old Course and the University. Easy to get to shops and restaurants along with major sights.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
HDVST , General Manager at Hotel Du Vin, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Hotel du Vin St Andrews - I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us.

We strive to exceed our guests' expectations and I am delighted to hear that you found our staff to be outstanding throughout your stay.

Please do let us know if you are visiting St Andrews again in the near future, we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had not planned to stay overnight in St. Andrews but managed to get a late deal on a suite.
The hotel was freshly and tastefully decorated although the lighting by the mirror was poor for applying make up. We had beautiful views from our dual aspect windows. The staff were all friendly and helpful although breakfast was decidedly average and the staff in the morning seemed inexperienced and quite disorganised. I would stay again but only if we could get a deal as it is not quite up to the standard of the Glasgow Hotel du Vin. The view makes up for the lower standard of accommodation though.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a sea view and on 3rd floor to reduce noise pollution from the street.
1 Thank Jimpw
HDVST , General Manager at Hotel Du Vin, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for your lovely feedback, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Hotel du Vin St Andrews.

I am delighted to hear that you found the staff at the hotel so helpful. We pride ourselves in providing exceptional service and I hope to welcome you back to enjoy our hospitality again in the near future.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a stay in the new Hotel du Vin in St Andrews. Formerly the Golf Hotel the hotel has had a major refurbishment. The room was very comfortable with good facilities and free Wi-Fi. We were fortunate to have a lovely view of the beach. We had dinner at the hotel and there was a good choice on the menu. My scallop starter was good however the main course of Bouillabaisse was a little bland with little evidence of a rich fish stock . The potatoes were hard. The pudding I chose was a raspberry soufflé which was well made and well presented.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view as there is building work to the rear of the hotel.
HDVST , General Manager at Hotel Du Vin, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us in the newly refurbished Hotel du Vin St Andrews.

We have spent a considerable amount of time in ensuring we provide the perfect facilities for our guests to enjoy a wonderful stay, such as providing complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future to enjoy our hospitality once more.

Kind Regards

Rugby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for a total of about 9 hours, a good 9 hours though!

We were attending a wedding which started before the check in time so left our bags with reception and then did not get back until about 2am. However on arrival back at the hotel our luggage had been moved into our room and we were given our key by the front desk immediately. First impressions of our room (Young Tom Morris) were simply, 'Wow!'. A giant room with a great view. Including a nice large TV and coffee machine which was excellent. Admittedly, for the price per night, I wouldn't expect less!

Breakfast the next morning was very nice and the staff were friendly and helpful throughout. Just a shame we couldn't spend more time here!

1 Thank Sean E
HDVST , General Manager at Hotel Du Vin, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide such wonderful feedback.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay within Young Tom Morris, one of our executive suites, which has stunning views across the West Sands.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here on a deal with bed breakfast and evening meal. Our daughter is studying here and therefore we come to stay in St Andrews at least 3 times a year. This is the first time we have stayed in a Hotel Du Vin. The hotel is new and therefore the decoration is first class. As with most reviews of this hotel we were greeted by Paul the Porter who is friendly and informative and very professional. He showed us to our room but we were met by a maintenance man who was still putting pictures on the wall. Check in was advertised as 3 and this was 3.30 when we arrived. Having been in the car for 5 hours I would have liked to freshen up but that was out of the question.
Consequently we went downstairs and ordered some bar food and a cup of tea which was quite pricey £3 for one large cup of tea and £7.00 for a BLT sandwich, sorry but no lettuce is worth that much.
When we finally got to the room it was luxurious and just like the website. The view was fantastic (we had a room at the front). The walk in shower looked amazing and the bed was soooooo comfortable. However, the flush handle on the toilet was hanging off, the shower although fantastic spilled water all over the floor, there is no shelf in the shower so one has to keep bending down for your shampoo, soap etc. The lighting in the room is low so no good for someone like me who needs strong lighting to put on the mountainous make up to hide the ever increasing cracks in my face.
The dinner menu for our stay was limited and not very exciting so having been told we could have £20 towards the Al A Carte menu I decided to try this. The prices on the Al A Carte are what you would expect for any chain hotel but very limited with no specials etc. After dinner we had cocktails in the bar which again were hotel prices but very good.
Finally breakfast was a mixed review I had full breakfast e.g 1 rasher of bacon, 1 sausage, 2 rather sorry looking eggs, 1 mushroom and one half of a tomato ....this rather looked like half a breakfast however my husband had smoked haddock and poached egg which he loved.
Having read this review back it looks like it was all doom and gloom but it wasn't, we could not fault any of the staff they were brilliant, we enjoyed our stay but for the cost I would have expected the finer details to have been better. Hopefully they are only glitches because of the newness of the hotel and not what I have experienced in the past with other hotel chains I.e all fur coat and no knicker philosophy.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front the view is great
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
HDVST , General Manager at Hotel Du Vin, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for your wonderful feedback, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Hotel du Vin St Andrews.

I am very glad to read that you enjoyed using the wonderful facilities we have within our bedrooms including our fabulous monsoon showers!

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.