“Love this place”

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Newburgh, United Kingdom
“Love this place”
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Truly 5* experience, we love this place. We married here last year and returned recently for our first anniversary. The staff are very friendly and make sure that you are made to feel special from the moment you walk through the door. The hotel is very elegant and is always immaculate, the floral display as you enter the hotel is always stunning. The public restrooms are beautiful with Molten Brown products and individual rolled towels. We have eaten in Sands grill on several occassions and have always found the food to be excellent. We would have no hesitation in recommending the Old Course Hotel as a wedding venue or a special place to stay and sure we will be returning for years to come.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TeamSweetpea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Finnish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

What can I say? I have just returned from a 2 night "girls getaway" that was first class in every respect. This is a 5 * hotel and the service is 5* at every level. The room was spacious and attention to detail made for an extremely comfortable stay. The spa is fantastic and immaculate, well worth a visit. Breakfast is an impressive experience and taken in the 4th floor restaurant with wonderful views over the golf course. The jigger inn (attached to the hotel) is worth a visit, a charming quaint little pub with tables overlooking the golf course. I can't wait to return to this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Cupar
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I have been fortunate enough to stay in many 5* Hotels across the globe. Some have been disapointing, others less so but none can compare to the experience of the Old Course. From the moment I arrived to the moment I left I found the standard of service to be 2nd to none. The waiting staff in the Roadhole and Sands (and indeed all staff) were simply outstanding, the food was cooked to perfection and the complimentary Birthday cake, aperitifs and canapes delighfully unexpected. Unlike previous reviewers I experienced no issues with crowds in the Spa and enjoyed the rooftop hot tub immensely. The room was super and the view across the Old Course and to the sea fabulous. Absolutely recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Midwest
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I want to start with the strong points: lovely main rooms, helpful staff, great dining, nice rooms, great location.

This is a non-golfer review. For what that's worth... I very much enjoyed my stay at the Old Course Hotel with one exception (at the end of this review). The proximity to walking to the charming village of St. Andrews made this a natural for my purposes. I am not a golfer, but dined at the Road Hole Bar and restaurant several times during my stay (which were stellar experiences: relaxing, great food, stellar service, and a world-class view of the course and vista beyond.

The room was very comfortable, but fresh off of a stay at the Balmoral in Edinburgh, the bathroom and room were somewhat small.

Now for the Spa...Apparently, non guest memberships are sold to University students (and others, I'm sure). From a business/revenue perspective: I get it. But from a paying hotel guest perspective: I don't. Because it was like Vegas by the indoor pool. There is no supervision or "enforcement" of any quiet, tranquil atmosphere. On two different occasions, I saw large groups of young men being very loud and disruptive. Really? Your management can't figure out that you HAVE to have a system in place that safeguards the true spa experience for your hotel guests. One day, there were a number of women who were visibly uncomfortable.

Old Course, this is not a wise business decision. I hate to invoke the Balmoral again, but they also have a (smaller) spa, and it was a true spa experience. I ended up avoiding the spa, and that is really a shame. If you're going to roll the dice on having non-hotel guests, do everything you possibly can (including barring repeat offenders) to make sure your much-advertised Kohler Spa is, in fact, spa like.

Overall, spa aside, the Old Course is a strong choice for someone who likes a luxurious hotel experience.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank BCparent
OldCourseHotel, Spa Manager at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Dear Guest

While it is wonderful to read that you did enjoy your visit to the Hotel for the most-part it does disappointment me to read that your spa experience did not meet your expectations. We would usually consider our spa to be tranquil and peaceful however I am very sorry that it was not on this occasion. I would like to thank you for taking the time to post this review. I have certainly noted your comments and I can assure you that I am taking steps to ensure that this experience is not repeated. I do hope to welcome you back to the spa in the future.

With warm regards

Victoria M. Calcutt – Spa Manager, Kohler Waters Spa
Chicago
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Stayed for 2 nights at the Old Course Hotel near the end of October and had the most amazing stay imaginable! The golf stewards went above and beyond, and the entire hotel staff was impeccably kind, warm and overly accommodating at all times. This is a 'must-stay' hotel! They treated us like royalty, and we even received a phone call from them prior to our stay asking if we'd like to book any dinner reservations or if we'd like to be entered into the daily ballot for a chance to play the Old Course. We even won the ballot and had the most fabulous round of golf in our lives! (Note: If looking for a caddy, we cannot recommend Gordon Smith highly enough -- we also thought Lee was an excellent caddy as well.) The rooms are fabulous and the views from the Old Course rooms are the best in all of St. Andrews.

Room Tip: An 'Old Course room' is highly recommended for the best views of the fairways and the sea.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
california
Reviewed 26 October 2011

We stayed 2 nights as part of the Old Course Experience. Were treated like VIPs, including a welcome drink, being greeted by the manager and having an escort to our room (not the bell staff.) All the staff were outstanding, loved that the doorman wore full Scottish dress with kilt. We had a beautiful large room with a couch, desk and a luxurious bath. The breakfast buffet was outstanding, also dinner at the Jigger Inn. The only negative was that the bed was very uncomfortable, sloping so much that I almost fell off. I slept one night on the couch.
Can't beat the location, right on the 17th hole of the Old Course! My husband (a life-long golfer) is still raving about the whole visit.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade if it is available
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Aldershot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Amazing hotel in an amazing location. The breakfast was beautifull with lots of choice. The spa and girls in the spa were amazing very accomodating and with a very high standard of client care. Facilities of the spa were superb. Look forward to the next visit!

• Stayed May 2011