“a lovely weekend”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in St Andrews
edinburgh
“a lovely weekend”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We had a very relaxing weekend in comfort. There was a problem I think in the Sands kitchen on Friday evening but it was dealt with by waving the wine fee. The staff are terrific & nothing is too much trouble. Comfort & cleanliness are first class. Excellent spa facilities. Despite the designer interiors I would like a little more light in the rooms.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Finnish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2011

I have stayed at The Old Course many times and it just gets better & better every time!
From our very friendly welcome glass of bubbles on arrival to our cheery farewell at the end, every aspect was just perfect. The staff are friendly but discreet, always there just when you need them. Our "old course suite" was superb and I do love the Kohler bathrooms...
Thank you for a wonderful birthday treat :-)

Room Tip: Old Course Facing rooms are a must (unless you're planning on hardly being in the room).
1 Thank TamaraKobiolke
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 November 2011

It could not be better!
EVERYTHING you expect from a 5 star hotel and then some.

Location -- perfection. 2 minute walk to the main cute town of Saint Andrews. On the beach, so you can stoll on it. Great views, whether of the town, the golf course or the beach.

Service-- Simply amazing, very polite. The concierge would walk you when you asked for directions in the hotel.

Pub/Restaurants-- There is a great, cute old (very old and historic) pub attached to the hotel, with outdoor seating on the golf course. So cute and so convenient. Great ham and cheese sandwiches. The hotel also has 2 nice restaruants inside.

Spa/Gym -- Wow! A real gym, with weights, cardio machines, and with spinning and other classes. A real full-service spa.

Really a special place.

Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I have just spent a lovely night (Saturday 19th Nov) at The Old Course Hotel with my boyfriend. It was a wonderful experience. The concierge's have to be mentioned as they are the first impression of the hotels guest services and they give a truly special start to the experience. The concierge on duty when we arrived at 3.30 came to the car to welcome us and carried our bag into the reception and introduced us to the receptionist (nice personal touch). We were offered a drink & orientation of the hotel and taken to our room by a very nice lady. We had a beautiful, spacious room (standard I think as we payed £200 and booked only a week in advance). We were at the front of the hotel and so didn't have a view of the golf course but we weren't expecting to be that lucky with booking so late). The bathroom was small but had the deepest bath I have ever seen, it was huge!! We took full advantage of it and had a bath in the afternoon and also when we got back at night!! The bed was huge and very comfy with lots of pillows. A turn down service also popped in when we were out and put bottled water by the beds and changed the towels. The room was very warm though and we couldn't alter the thermostat to cooler so had to turn on the overhead fan which helped cool us down. Should have opened the window but assumed they didn't open until I realised they did in the morning. We popped into the 4th floor bar after returning from dinner in St Andrews and it was a lovely way to relax and chill out before bed. Breakfast was also as expected and was delicious. The only critisism though there was that as I am dairy intolerent I asked for a butter substitute and the waitress seemed surprised by my request but offered to find out if there was flora or similar but never returned so I had dry toast. Overall though, it was a fantastic stay and I can't wait to return for a special occasion and hopefully get a room with a view of the golf course. I highly recommend a stay here as it truly is 5 star.

Hammond, Louisiana
Reviewed 16 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at this lux hotel in early September and it was more than we expected. Teh food and service were top drawer as were the rooms. Pure luxury with a great vivew of the golf course. Keep in mind that you cannot reserve a tee time for gold but you can reserve a tea time for a sip of Earl Grey and a scone. I give this one a thumbs up, but keep in mind that it is pricey.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the golf course.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We went as a special treat. First Impression of the hotel and staff were great but they were understaffed especially on the Sunday of our stay. We waited ages for a table(views were worth wait) but disappointing breakfast which definitely wasn't cooked to order as it said on menu..We were given the dregs from the buffet. Wonderful hotel with great views and welcome and Spa but very sloppy service and thoughtlessness of front desk spoiled a perfect weekend. I called down on Sunday morning to ask if they had feminine Hygiene products and was told to come to reception!!!! Why would I have called reception I called so I didn't have to go down!....Would have been thoughtful of Katie to have sent something up! Thats what one expects from a five star hotel........

Room Tip: Lovely Spa. Rooms over Golf Course Lovely
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
OldCourseHotel, Manager at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Old Course Hotel. We endeavour to offer our guests a service that is as close to perfect as possible so I am very sorry to learn of your breakfast experience. Please rest assured that your comments have been passed to our Food & Beverage Director to assist us with our ongoing training needs.

I am sorry that you were asked to come to reception when you contacted us for assistance on the Sunday morning. I am unable to check why this was the case as the Receptionist that assisted you was a seasonal member of staff, but I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you for your feedback I and do hope that this does not deter you from staying with us again in the future.

With kind regards,

Daniel Pereira
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We have stayed at the Old Course Hotel before and would still rate this as being one of the very best, however I found it disappointing that our bed was two single beds pushed together, which left an uncomfortable seam down the middle...Not the first 5 star hotel to try this trick , otherwise a very good hotel . I would still recommend highly.

• Stayed November 2011