“Palace of calm”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in St Andrews
Riga, Latvia
“Palace of calm”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

My experence there was great from the moment I arrived.
I have been at the old course before - mostly for their spa and that made me decide to use my three days off and spend there one night, to be able to make my own Eat Prey Love story, because I needed to get away from everything.
The food and service was perfect, especially at the Road hole restaurant where I was given my own table owerlooking the golf course. Also famous Jigger Inn didnt cease to amaze me with its interiors where I had my pre dinner snacks.
But the best of all is the spa where I could forget my worldly troubles and heal myself from iside - out.

I was also impressed that in room movies are for free.

I will definitely come back for another get away experence at the end of september.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Finnish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed for three nights with grandparents and children aged 5, 10 and 15. The hotel is clean with all amenities. What bothered us is that we were put on the first floor which does NOT have air conditioning. We were not told this at booking or at check in. The room heated to 29 degrees Celcius with the doors closed. If the doors were open then the sun beat in the room at 5:30 am and the golf course cleaning trucks started at 6am. The heavy drapes were impossible to move with ease, half off the hooks. The staff knew the heat was a problem ... and as we checked out they said they could have brought a portable air conditionner. If this was a known issue, they should have offered a solution upon check in. Further, the "pool". On Trip Advisor, they say they have a pool but when we arrived they said it was a spa. Thus the kids could swim from 3 to 5 pm only, no exception. When we arrived to swim, we felt it was a spa environment as ladies whispered when our children laughed. The hotel should not list thr pool as an amenity since it is not open to everyone. We ordered room service which was barely edible. We travel frequently and don't write reviews often. This is not a hotel I would recommend for families. We stayed there to assure a spot on the Old Course and that was worthwhile.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Lunch E
OldCourseHotel, General Manager at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Old Course Hotel.

Firstly, I would like to offer you our sincere apologies for the any shortfall in service which you encountered during your stay with us. I am very sorry to learn that you found your room uncomfortable on this occasion. I am disappointed that you were not offered a portable air conditioning device when you first notified our staff of the problem. I can confirm that we are currently undertaking a major project which will see all of our bedrooms with air conditioning by the end of March 2013. I have also taken this opportunity to update your profile to show your preference for air conditioning in any future stay prior to the completion of this project.

We take great pride in meeting and indeed exceeding our guests’ expectations so I was disappointed to read your comments regarding your private dining experience, please rest assured that I will follow this up with my team.

With respect to your children being unable to enjoy the pool out with the family hours, I am very sorry that you were not informed of this prior to your stay. This policy is in place to ensure that all of our guests can enjoy the spa and we feel that limiting the times available to children offers a good balance in ensuring the comfort of all our guests.

Finally I am glad that you enjoyed playing The Old Course and should you wish to return to St. Andrews I hope that you will consider allowing us to welcome you and extend you our customary outstanding hospitality that was sadly lacking during this stay.

Kind regards

Daniel Pereira
great neck, ny
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I love this hotel! The staff are the nicest, the rooms are gorgeous, the views are unsurpassed anywhere on earth, the breakfast is fantastic, the spa is terrific. Nothing you ask for is too much, the staff will always try. We were here for eight nights, they brought us chocolates, champagne, canapés and strawberries. The front desk called to check that we were happy. The towels are big.
They are expensive, but first class all the way. Love them! Love Scotland!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Greenock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Had a lovely break. The staff were totally amazing, the spa was to die for esp roof top Jacuzzi. Room service was quick and food lovely and the small details they have makes your break wonderful. Fantastic hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We held our wedding reception here two weeks ago and can honestly say the service was faultless! From the early planning stages which started 14 months prior, right up to the wedding day itself we experienced exceptional service from every member of staff we met.
Our guests and us enjoyed our drinks reception in the Road Hole Bar followed by wedding breakfast and evening entertainment in The Ballroom. Food was delicious and of a high standard and service excellent throughout. Our guests are still talking about this hotel!

We were very lucky to have been able to stay overnight in the royal & ancient suite which is truly beautiful. Two balconys overlooking the famous course, dining area to sit 6, sitting room with large screen tv, both a chaise and a sofa, seperate bedroom with a ridiculously comfy king size bed, large screen tv and the most fabulous bathroom suite!
We enjoyed room service breakfast in the morning which was delicious and a huge choice is offered.
Thanks to the Old Course we had the most amazing wedding day and we can't wait to stay again!

• Stayed July 2012
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 July 2012

A golf week in Scotland with your dad and brother is an event of a lifetime. I do have to say it was made all the better because of the staff and accommodations at the Old Course Hotel and Spa. I wanted to visit the spa (and will next time I visit with my wife) but was too busy eating and playing golf to give it a try. It looked fabulous! Beautiful room overlooking the 17th fairway. We had 2 late tee times which made for 10pm finishes. The restaurants although closed were perfectly willing to seat and serve us well after close. Clean rooms fresh with bottled water and strawberry's and chocolate waiting in my room. Everyone from the cleaning staff to the concierge to the golf staff were not only respectful and helpful but absolutely made you feel like family. The food in all restaurants was fabulous. Service was impeccable. With the best golf view in the world and the best staff and accommodations, what more could you ask? Nothing. I plan to return as soon as possible with my wife. Keep up the great work.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2012 via mobile

Due to a back issue, I regularly get massages and therefore I was pleasantly surprised to get the best back massage I have ever experienced. The beds that are used are unbelievable. The staff go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and the level of service is above and beyond considering the price. The staff are all so friendly and accommodating.

We were here for a hen do and I would return quite happily to St Andrews for a weekend just to come to the spa again.

I am still overly impressed with the whole experience. From the roof top jacuzzi, to the deep relaxation room, where you a given a cosy blanket, smoothie and water to have, where you can relax after your massage... The spa facilities are top of the range. And the staff really do make a difference, they ensure that not only are you impressed by the facilities but that you feel 100% welcome and comfortable... I cannot rave about this spa enough!

Even if you don't care about golf, st Andrews is a beautiful place to visit and relax for a day at the spa!

Highly highly recommended!!!