“Something was different but still outstanding”

Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We visited this hotel again with family but there was something a bit different about the hotel although for the life of me I can't figure out just what. (I know that sounds a bit crazy)

The rooms were of the usual high standard and the housekeeping staff brilliant again.

The usual warm welcome was afforded to us by David and Alistair who feel like one of our friends now.

The spa was extremely busy which was a first for us as every time we have been before it's been quiet and relaxing. This time it seemed a bit busy and hectic to be honest. There were not enough loungers at the side of the pool which meant we had to share. We did however have a fabulous pedicure treatment which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Breakfast was again good but the staff appear to have changed again with the exception of a few old faces.We timed it nicely on both mornings as it started to become extremely busy and people had to wait for tables.

The overall stay was enjoyable again but for some reason i didn't feel relaxed as i normally do when I leave.

I know the general manager Mr Pereira has moved on but for me there was something missing. I didn't feel the same ambience about the place and the hotel didn't feel quite as homely.

I believe there may have been a groupon offer or deal on and as much as I am very for these offers i worry that this will take the luxury edge off the hotel.

I still had a lovely time but just not as enjoyable as the previous visits.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank JennyBGlasgow
There are newer reviews for Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I attended a conference at the hotel which included an overnight stay. I was delighted to find I had been allocated a suite overlooking the golf course. It was extremely comfortable with a spa bath and the largest shower cubicle I have ever seen. The only complaint is that due to the conference I did not have much of an opportunity to enjoy it.

The food (which included a set dinner in the Hall of Champions) was excellent. The Bircher Muesli and Eggs Benedict in the Road Hole restaurant contributed to one of the best hotel breakfasts I have ever had.

Not cheap but very enjoyable

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lynn H
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Hi Folks
My wife and I had a long weekend at this wonderful hotel . Dinner was served to order and all food came hot to our table . I must add though a little more on the plate for the main course would have been nice but starter and sweet good . A good cooked breakfast was served to order and hot on the plate . Our room overlooked the golf links and was very comfortable and large . We were a bit disappointed that after booking more expensive sea view room , we were informed that the room view was restricted by green netting covering windows as work was being carried out on building . We received a bottle of wine in compensation for that . The remainder of the hotel is very comfortable and great oil painting of past and present golf greats that overlook the lounges . All in all we a good weekend and would advise anyone to visit this very nice hotel
World Traveller . Les S

Room Tip: golf link sea view room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leslie S
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Just back from a night at the Old Course, we went last year and ate in St Andrews, having read reviews of the Road Hole restaurant we were keen to try it.We were disappointed.

We ordered and the food arrived very quickly. We both had the same starter, pork cheek and scallops, the pork was quite dry and I'm not sure the combination worked but it was fine. No sooner were the starters cleared and the main course arrived. My potatoes were uncooked and unseasoned, they were so bad I had to send the dish back. We were told the chef agreed and was sorry and would redo my meal. But they left my husband with his. So our romantic meal ended up with him eating his and then once finished my replacement arrived and I ate mine.

After dinner we returned to the bar for a drink. They must have issues with their drains as the smell at our table was so bad we had to move.

There were positives, the room was amazing, huge and spacious. Breakfast was lovely and the setting is amazing. But for a hotel of this calibre I expected better food.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dalbeath
OldCourseHotel, General Manager at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback on your recent stay at the Old course Hotel.

I am disappointed to read that your stay was effected by your experience in the Road Hole Restaurant, on this occasion the dish in question was not to our usual standard and we apologise that this had an adverse effect on your evening despite our best efforts to remedy this situation. We shall ensure that this issue is addressed in our ongoing internal training programme.

I hope that you will return to the resort and enjoy our customary excellent service.

Kind regards,

David Scott - Director of Operations

Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed at The Old Course Hotel for two nights on business, and whilst I was busy the whole time, and didn't really have time to see or use all the hotel offered, I was impressed with the service I received.
Anyone can spend millions providing first class facilities (and from what I saw, this hotel has the lot), but it takes dedication and skill to provide good service, day in and day out, to each and every visitor.
From the initial very warm welcome at concierge and reception, through bar and restaurant staff and housekeeping - without fail everyone made me feel welcome and special.
Service is absolutely essential to a good stay for me. This hotel, its lovely staff, and its professional management appreciate this, and for that I am grateful.
One special moment - watching sun rise over St Andrews, the old course and the west sands beach, whilst I enjoyed a great breakfast, expertly served.
I intend to return, with my wife, for a more relaxed, leisure break.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Gordon Y
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Having decided it was time I had actually played the famous Old Course of St Andrews, I thought why not stay a couple of nights in the Old Course hotel and do it in style. The great thing about the location is that once the car is parked you really don't need it again until you leave. We played the course first and it was a fantastic experience, definitely recommended. Check-in was smooth as usual, and the welcome drink is a great touch. Settled into the room which had terrific views over the Old course, superb. Headed up to the Road Hole bar for a much needed drink before moving on into the Road Hole restaurant for dinner. Staff again very friendly, professional and attentive. Ordered the five course tasting menu which was perfect and included, scallops, duck, halibut and was excellent quality and very reasonably priced. The views from this restaurant are stunning. The comfortable beds made for a great sleep and breakfast again was of the highest quality with a varied range of choices to suit all tastes. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, and I know I'm slightly biased being a golfer, but it must rank as one of the best hotels in the world, never mind Britain. It's even got it's own pub, the legendary Jigger Inn. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the course.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times and yet again our expectations were exceeded. This "large" hotel successfully creates a "small" hotel feel with a very personal service. All the staff from housekeeping to management are so warm and friendly. Our room was clean and comfortable with a luxurious feel and a fine view over the golf course to St Andrews and the coast. The spa facilities are wonderfully relaxing. The breakfast is the best we have ever had, so much choice and so fresh. Thanks to all the staff for their attentiveness and thank you for all those unexpected extras. It is a true delight to return and to be even more impressed than our previous stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple