“Beautiful hotel”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in St Andrews
Scotland
“Beautiful hotel”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

2 night weekend break here. Absolutely brilliant from the moment we parked the car. Rooms fantastic and Roaring Twenties party night on Friday was so good. Lovely meal and a good disco. Evening passed by too quickly.
Fantastic breakfast and staff really attentive but not overbearing.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SusieQScotland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Finnish first
france
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We stayed here for one night because of a short visit to Scotland.
Booked a standard room which was very nice. Excellent breakfast like in other LHW.
The views from the hotel over the famous golfcourse are amazing and maybe the best we ever saw. We were very lucky with the weather!! The quality of the food in the restaurant (only 1 was open at the time of our visit) extremely good.
We were a bit disappointed with the small portions. We ordered from the a la carte Menu but the crabsalad was a children's portion and not easy to taste the crab.
Also the sole-although very good quality- but soooo small. No vegetables or didn't we see or taste it!
Soufflé-again small- but wonderful! But.......thanks to the bread we didn't go to bed hungry!

Room Tip: You pay a lot more for a seaview room. We had a room above and next to the entrance which was spacio...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FranceMartine
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely stay here recently, the hotel itself is beautiful and has some wonderful views. We stayed in a standard room which was great, had a sea view as well which was lovely.

The spa was nice, the outdoor hot tub was amazing, even though it was about -2 degrees outside!!

Staff were absolutely wonderful, and couldn't do enough for us, they were very professional and I have to say the service was absolutely first class.

If I could afford it I'd be back regularly, but it'll maybe just be a special treat for us!!! St. Andrews is lovely to have a walk about too and see the sights.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carrie K
Montrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

As usual this hotel was excellent the staff are very good and are very helpful.

I must admit what really brings us back to this hotel is the spa and swimming pools areas
they are fantastic so relaxing and where in scotland can you sit in an outside jacuzzi in November. The last time we were here we had to get a fob to access certain areas of the spa but on this occasion you can use everything without using the fob.

Our room this time faced the park area and had a balcony (of sorts) which was shared with the room next door, not the best if you don't know the neighbours. The bed was very comfortable
but I did not sleep well as the pillows were to soft for me, maybe I could of requested a different pillow but by the time I went to bed it was to late

We had dinner at the hotel which we enjoyed but my only comment was the menu needs to be changed or more special dishes should be on offer .

We had breakfast in the hotel and we all felt that it seemed not as good as previous experiences I asked for a herbal tea and was given a pot of tea no one gave me a choice and I still do not know what kind of tea I had, eggs benedict were overcooked - all in all not the usual breakfast service.

Will we be back - Yes

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 19CaroleK
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed at the old course hotel with my girlfriend for a couple of nights in November 2013. The hotel has a traditional feel to it with excellent spa and gym facilities. If travelling as a couple, the Eden rooms (the best rate room type) are more than spacious and clean, and the shower/bath is excellent. The spa has a very long swimming pool (the pictures are not deceptive), large indoor Jacuzzi and a steam/sauna room. Also, the roof top hot tub is very cool!!

The only downside of the hotel was the food. We ate at The Road Hole restaurant on the first night. Although there was many tables available, my girlfriend and I were put in the corner of a big room, with no lighting. It felt like we were eating in the pitch black. On top of this, the portion sizes are TINY so it would be advised to go into the town centre for your dinner (Little Italy was outstanding on our second night). The Jigger Inn, however, is a really lovely little bar with excellent table service.

Overall an excellent couple of nights in the beautiful St Andrews and we would definitely return to the Old Course hotel.

1 Thank Andrew L
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Just returned from a fabulous overnight stay. The spa is just wonderful and all the staff in every part of the hotel could not be more helpful. The room was very spacious and the bed was just so comfortable. The only little thing we found that could be improved upon is the lighting, especially at the bedside. We were both trying to read in bed but just gave up. This is only a minor point and will certainly not put us off from another visit (hopefully very soon!).

2 Thank bonnamassa
Renfrewshire
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Firstly, let me say that all the staff we met were lovely, caring and helpful!! BUT!! We were given a free glass of Prosecco when we arrived and tried to buy another later on in the bar, only to be told that they don’t serve it there - apparently if you want to sparkle there it can only be with champagne at £10 for a 125ml glass! Bedroom lighting not bright enough to read - had to use iphone torch to adjust heating controls. Bath plug did not retain the water! Road Hole Restaurant Restaurant has an open kitchen and the noise of fans etc going on & off was such that it would have been quieter to sit at the end of the nearby RAF Leuchars runway! This was NOT a cheap break and therefore I expected perfection. The Taster Menu dinner (with wines) was reasonably priced and generally good but the Duck breasts were tough - confirmed by another resident on our second night. The lobster starter on our second night was also tough - overcooked! However on both nights the desserts were outstanding so they've definitely got a great pastry chef. We were on a Room only rate but the Breakfast supervisor obviously hadn't heard of such things and advised us, each day, that we could have what we liked as it was all in the Room Rate. Needless to say, it wasn't! We reported all this on leaving and will be interested to see if we strike a chord with any other visitors. Having paid in excess of £800 for our two night break, we can only say it was poor value.

1 Thank FDP-BOW
OldCourseHotel, General Manager at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback following your recent stay at the Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa. I would like to thank you for comments regarding the staff which I will be sure to share as I know they will appreciate your kind words.

In light of your comment regarding serving Prosecco by the glass in the Road Hole Bar we have taken the decision to make this available and I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I was very disappointed to learn of the service levels you encountered throughout your stay and of course service should be flawless and consistent throughout the hotel. I would like to assure you I have highlighted your comments with our Executive head chef and manager of the Road Hole Restaurant for his urgent review.

Please be assured that your experience is not representative of our usual standards of service here at The Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa. I do hope that you will afford us the chance to rectify this particular experience. Please contact my office directly and we will be delighted to oversee the details of your stay to ensure you experience a memorable visit.

With kind regards,