“STILL MY FAVOURITE”

Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Although regulars , we took advantage of an itison vouchers to add an extra stay.Wish the hotel offered their returning guests loyalty discounts!! We love the hotel location--within easy walking distance of the town centre. We usually upgrade to an old course facing room which offers quite amazing views. Lunch at the Jiggers Inn is our usual before going into town to see the sights and visit our favourite hostelries . This time e evening we dined in the Hotel's ground floor Sands restaurant which is excellent and certainly not overpriced. And breakfast on the fourth floor Old Course is always excellent with a wide range of beatifully fresh food. But what makes the Hotel is it's staff. Friedly , knowledgeable but unobtrusive. We will be back again and again .

Room Tip: old course facing
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,696)

Reviewed 9 March 2014

My friend and I came to Scotland for a golf trip and spent a few days here. I had a wonderful room right at the corner of the hotel along the 17th. The room was very nice and the service was wonderful. The only meals that I had at the hotel was breakfasts at the Road Hole Restaurant. It overlooks the course and is a full buffet. We stuffed ourselves as we would skip lunch to play golf. Everyone was friendly and I really enjoyed my stay. if I ever return to St. Andrews I would definitely stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Purchased a voucher via itison. Booked to stay at the hotel and upgraded our room to view the golf course and booked in spa treatments in advance. We arrived at the hotel lots of parking available. We were greeted by staff we were friendly and checked us in. We arrived early so we checked into the spa and were informed we would be called once our room was ready.

The spa was fabulous especially the outdoor pool and hydrotherapy. I was booked in for the North Sea Hot stones which was really great! Excellent massage would definitely be back for another treatment in the future. Watch out for spa times for kids splash time!

On arrival to checking in our room we were offered our welcome champagne and shown to our room. Room was large and spacious. Bathroom very clean with Arran Bath Products supplied.
We were asked if we needed dinner reservations however we has made plans in the town.
Road Hole Bar was great for after drinks - we were lucky we had the place to ourselves!

Location of hotel is so central. Only 10 minutes to the town centre. Beautiful walks and scenery.
Breakfast was unlimited buffet which was Ok nothing special. However, the view was amazing! To get a good table I would advise going earlier for breakfast to get a good view!
Would recommend the spa and treatments.

Room Tip: Upgraded to view the 17th -18th hole.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Having been to the old course hotel before, we knew the high standard that we expected. However, on this occasion we were left slightly disappointed.

We had asked when booking if we could get into the hotel a little earlier than the advertised 3pm. The assistant said she would note this and see what she could do.
On arrival at 1pm we were told that our room was not ready (no real problem here as we knew that it should be 3pm) However, the assistant took our mobile phone number and told us that she would phone us to let us know when our room was ready.
No phone call ever came. So at 3pm we went to book in and were allocated our room. So, not really the best of starts.

Our room was one of the Eden rooms that overlook the car park. No problem there, a lovely room with a huge bed, a large bathroom and power shower as well as complementary toiletries. It also had a large television with numerous channels and films that could be viewed.

Being there before we knew how good the spa facilities are, so we headed down there.
But again we were slightly disappointed as I was unable to get a dressing gown, when I enquired about this I was told that they had run out and there would be no more made available that day. Although the spa was busy you would think that provision would be made for an adequate supply of dressing gowns.

After a good nights sleep we had a lovely breakfast in the fourth floor restaurant overlooking the golf course and west sands.

All in all pretty good, but not quite 5 stars.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the golf course have fab views, but are more expensive.
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We often visit St Andrews and decided this time we would treat ourselves to a couple of nights at the Old Course Hotel. From check-in (with a glass of prosecco) to the wonderfully comfortable room and spacious bathroom (a tiny negative would be the high step up into the bath/shower - not great for older people), however all in all we were delighted with our bedroom. Dinner at Sands Grill was fine, bit overpriced for what we had. I had Lobster Thermidor and my husband steak. It was all fine, just not great as we would have expected, although the service was exceptional and attentive throughout our meal. Breakfast in the Road Hole restaurant was amazing....views to die for and again friendly, courteous, efficient staff. Breakfast menu had everything you could ask for and more, great way to start your day, eating breakfast, looking out to the sea and the early morning golfers on the Old Course! Was great having the turndown and bottled water left each night.

Jiggers Inn was a cosy pub with great atmosphere and staff - all friendly and chatty.

All in all, excellent break away. Thank you Old Course Hotel and well done to all staff! Keep up the great work.

Room Tip: A higher room overlooking the golf course would have been amazing!
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Old Course Hotel for a night at the beginning of January. As new parents we wanted a relaxing stay in luxurious surroundings, and once again the Old Course did not disappoint. This was our second stay at the hotel and if anything it was better second time around.

As we had stayed at the hotel once before we are on the hotel's mailing list and we were contacted about a 48 hour sale which we took advantage of. We booked a standard room on a B&B basis at a very good rate. I had hoped to stay at the hotel during my pregnancy but was unable too due to the room cost during high season. We were pleased to book the hotel at a decent price.

On arrival we were greeted by very welcoming staff who escorted us straight to check in. This time around we received a glass of prosecco which is a lovely touch and sets the tone for the rest of your stay. Our classic room was spacious and traditionally decorated. We also noted that the TVs had been upgraded since our last stay. The view from the room wasn't anything special but then again we hadn't paid the extra for the old course view. The highlight to me of the standard rooms at the Old Course is the Kohler bath. It is a very deep bath and I could have spent hours in it.

One of our main reasons for returning to the hotel is the Kohler Water Spa. We have stayed in a few comparable hotels in Scotland now and to me this is the best. I like the pool but the highlight is the water spa itself which is just so relaxing. I have never made it to the pool on the roof as both times it has been late December / January and I have not been brave enough to face the cold. Perhaps next time... There are a lot of other facilities available in the spa and you could definitely spend an afternoon or even a day in the spa itself. The hotel itself offers many other facilities / activities but I can't comment on those as we didn't use them.

We only ate breakfast in the restaurant as we chose to eat in St Andrews itself. We have been regular visitors to St Andrews in the past and there is a decent choice of restaurants in the town itself, so we see no need to restrict ourselves to the hotel. I have read mixed reviews of the hotel's restaurants which is why we have continued to avoid them. The breakfast service is busy and the staff did struggle a bit to cope, mainly with turning tables. We left breakfast late and had to wait 15 minutes for a table at 9.45am, but we didn't mind as the view from the bar is great. The breakfast choice is extensive and given that there are hot and continental buffets you can eat as much or as little as you like. I personally prefer table service for hot breakfast and this is offered if you opt for one of the a la carte options on the menu.

Overall, we have stayed at the Old Couse Hotel on two occasions now and we'll definitely be returning, providing the price is right. I would not visit in high season or pay rack rate as I don't believe it presents value for money, but get an offer and it is well worth it, particularly the Kohler Water Spa.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My second stay at the Old Course and it didn't disappoint. The staff are so friendly and welcoming from the moment you arrive, offering you a glass of welcome champagne. The rooms are stunning and this time we had a chromatic bath too. The Road Hole Bar is a great spot for cocktails at sunset. We enjoyed the spa facilities and spent some time in the roof top hot tub in the glorious sunshine. Breakfast was delicious, a great range of choice, and surely one of the best views in the world. I'm always so sorry out leave this place. You feel relaxed from the moment you arrive and nothing is too much trouble. This hotel is one of the nicest places I have ever stayed.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends