“Couldn't fault it”

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Strathaven, United Kingdom
“Couldn't fault it”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We were lucky enough to stay in this hotel as a special treat for my husbands 30th birthday. My husband is a keen golfer, I booked a room with a golf view. It was a stunning room and we found the staff very friendly and could not do more to help us. Complementary champagne and canopies were delivered to our room, we were made to feel most welcome. Breakfast was delicious and we again enjoyed the view of the golf course. Hopefully we will be fortunate enough to visit this amazing hotel again in the future.

Room Tip: I would pay that little extra for a golf view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gordonandfiona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Finnish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Great venue and really enjoyable day.
Very well organised and everyone had an excellent time.
Stunning surroundings and special mention to Alan the Barman who looked after a bunch of us with an exceptional level of service!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Scotland
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed here for a single night after a wedding. I grew up in the town so this was an indulgence. This is a hotel that oozes quality throughout. The staff are well trained the rooms first class and breakfast as well as being delicious overlooks the most famous golf course in the world. I would love to have stayed longer and enjoyed the rooftop hot tub but the pool and steam rooms were a lovely way to start the day. Needless to say all fitments in the bathrooms etc are by Kohler!

Room Tip: Overlooking the golf course and if money is no object then one of the suites would be lovely.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Beaks21
philadelphia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Many if not every golfers dream is to stay here with an Old Course view. I could go on and on about what was very good like the food, service, the decor, but one thing would keep me from returning and it was the bed. Dear God what were they thinking!

We were promptly taken to our beautiful fairway suite with a breathtaking view of the 17th fairway. The room was HUGE with 2 rooms and 2 baths. Amazing. Then i walked into the bedroom and was greeted to a seemingly queen bed. Not appropriate for me and my son, but they assured me " no worries" we will make it into two. ??? Well they did, it was actually 2 single bed put together. They were smaller than my college dorm room bed. When I layed on my back a roll onto your side would promptly deposit you on the floor. No joke. I couldn't believe it. This beautiful room and hotel and these jokes of a bed. It ruined it for me. I got maybe 4 hours of sleep a night going from course to course like a zombie. I have a suggestion for the management. Go to a Ritz Carlton and check out their beds, better yet a Holiday inn in the states have 2 queens!,

So if your staying as a couple I suppose the 2 beds together may be all right but 2 singles.. Forget it. Stay elsewhere

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gniconovich
OldCourseHotel, General Manager at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay.

I am sorry to learn you did not enjoy a good night’s sleep. The beds in the Fairway Suites are King Size, typical of UK Standards, which can be twinned by separating into two single beds or zipped together to provide a king size bed. I believe US beds may be bigger and I am aware that in the US, double double rooms are quite usual and that some hotel chains in Europe can provide this also. I do apologise if you found the single bed to be too small but unfortunately most of the beds in our hotel are configured this way and our rooms do not have the square footage to hold two doubles.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your positive comments and please contact me directly if you are staying in St Andrews and we can look at customising a room for your comfort.

With kind regards,
David Scott
Director of Operations
Plymouth, England
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed with a large group for a conference. Very well looked after and superb rom with all the details right. Breakfast overlooking the old course with loads of sunlight and the sea in the background was amazing plus the breakfast itself was very good and nicely served.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Recently went there for out wedding anniversary.. Worth every penny!! Warm welcome from the staff. Got taken to our room where the staff showed us where everything was, wifi codes etc. Room was beautiful with a gorgeous view looking down the 18th whole. Also there was a card on our room from the manager wishing us a happy anniversary. Nice touch.. Spa- truly amazing!! I had a girl called shelly, very professional friendly and amazing at her job.. Very relaxing, clean and a wonderful experience. Will defo be returning.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank --Milne07--
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 8 May 2014

If you plan on playing the "Old Course" at St. Andrews you can't beat staying at Old Course Hotel, everything was exceptional. The staff could not have been more courteous or helpful. Location spectacular right on the Course. The Pro Shop staff was outstanding. The Road Hole Bar is a must if you like scotch. This every bit a five star stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family