“Lunch with a view”

Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Road Hole bar and restaurant on the fourth floor of the Old Course Hotel offers fantastic views of the Golf courses at St Andrews Links and the special set menu lunch at £18.50 is also fantastic value at this luxury hotel. Marco made us most welcome and handed us over to sommelier Remy who looked after us with great humour.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Arabjim

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was in Old Course on Saturday for morning coffee in library and requested biscuits , we got a biscuit on the side of the saucer ( not quite what would be expected ! )
Also we went there for lunch on sunday 25th may to road hole restaurant. Three course set meal food could not be faulted except they tried to charge us for pudding . This was explained as a fault a the till !!! . Then my mother had to ask for horseradish sauce for her roast beef , I heard other people asking the same thing . Waitress then tried to bring my coffee before my pudding .
Standards slipping here I think

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
OldCourseHotel, Director of Operations at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Old Course Hotel.

I am extremely concerned to learn of the levels of service you encountered during your visit as they are most definitely not the levels of service which we pride ourselves upon. I would like to ensure you that I will personally address these issues as part of our ongoing staff training and development programme.

I am very sorry these issues impacted upon your stay and I hope you will visit again to enjoy our customary levels of service.

Kind regards,
David

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I did not stay here...but I indulged and booked a 80 minutes River bath and massage. Having never, ever done any type of spa treatment before (aside from a mani/pedi) I did not know what to expect. Well, I could not have picked a more perfect place to have a first spa treatment. The service was friendly and warm. The atmosphere was relaxed. My treatment itself, with Jessica, was fantastic. Just what I needed having driving 300 miles in the British countryside. It was pricy but even at a high price, I feel I most definitely got my money's worth. I would do another treatment again here in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Expecting a lot from our first stay at a leading hotel of the world and it certainly delivered.

The room overlooked the 17th hole, I think. Large room. Big bathroom. A little aged here and there.

We travelled with our baby son. The touches to provide us with a baby bathing seat and a little tiger puppet was greatly received. To this day nearly 6 months on my son still plays with the puppet.

Lunch at the restaurant upstairs was simply fantastic for £15 per person for 3 courses. High chairs provided...messy baby food...great view....great service.

Breakfast was not in the same standard. It seemed to be quite a stampede of bodies running everywhere and a little disorganised. Ah well its breakfast and everyone is hungry. who cares if we had to wait a little.

The door men were not in the same league of friendliness as a hotel we visited in Lausanne so marking down on this front.

Upon checking out the lady at the front desk knew our names much to our surprise having not met here before. Nice tough.

All in all a great stay. We will be back and hopefully to a more welcome smile at the door.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 8---AW---LW---8
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Beautiful room. Beautiful view. (And the windows crack for fresh air). All the best in a bathroom: shower, tub, adequate but not ridiculous space. Helpful staff. Amazing concierge. The best of all the breakfasts we had on our Scotland Golf trip. St. Andrews is a lovely place to visit, and it was easy to walk to town, golf, beach from the hotel. Although I thought at first I would rather have stayed in an older place with "charm" - the comfort and staff completely won me over. And, for charm, there is always the Jigger Inn next door or an easy walk to town for plenty! Our husbands were completely happy with the assistance from the "Golf Department" of the hotel too!

Room Tip: I think the rooms with the golf view are worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Looking over the 17th and 18th holes of the old course at St. Andrew's in a room that really is a suite. Luxurious sitting area in rich fabric....fabric on some of the walls. King sized bed with the highest quality linens. Beautifully appointed bathroom and the room had a half bath also. Panoramic windows. Truly the highest of quality...we were sad to leave.
The staff, to a person, was incredible.
Wish I could just live there!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hlsgolf
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We were lucky enough to stay in this hotel as a special treat for my husbands 30th birthday. My husband is a keen golfer, I booked a room with a golf view. It was a stunning room and we found the staff very friendly and could not do more to help us. Complementary champagne and canopies were delivered to our room, we were made to feel most welcome. Breakfast was delicious and we again enjoyed the view of the golf course. Hopefully we will be fortunate enough to visit this amazing hotel again in the future.

Room Tip: I would pay that little extra for a golf view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple