“Excellent afternoon tea”

Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 30 May 2014

First visit to the old course hotel where my friend and I enjoyed a pink champagne afternoon tea. Lovely setting in the conservatory which has views across the 17th. Hole.
Cakes, scones and sandwiches were delicate and delicious. Lovely staff who were very attentive and friendly. Pink champagne was lovely and all in all a delightful afternoon. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa

Reviewed 29 May 2014

It was just perfect. Perfection does not come cheap but the room rate became somewhat more reasonable in recent years. I travel a lot and usually it is not that difficult to point out one or two areas of possible improvement. But not this time.

Breakfast buffet was also wonderful. Don't eat too much. That affect you golf swing!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank okiyu
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We've just returned from a 3 night stay at the Old Course Hotel for my husband's birthday.As golfers,to open the curtains of the suite and see the iconic clubhouse,golfers teeing off the first,struggling with the road hole and driving down the 18th with the sea in the distance was the most thrilling,incredible sight.
The hotel staff were friendly and courteous,the golf stewards were very helpful to ensure that we got to play the old course(plus the beautiful Kingsbarns and the parkland Duke's course) and the spa was a lovely break after a long day's golf.
The only disappointment was the food which was good,but not of the standard to match the rest of the hotel.
Tip:have a whisky at the road hole bar on the 4th floor-incredible selection of drinks plus the best golf view in the world.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the golf course-well worth the money.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Road Hole bar and restaurant on the fourth floor of the Old Course Hotel offers fantastic views of the Golf courses at St Andrews Links and the special set menu lunch at £18.50 is also fantastic value at this luxury hotel. Marco made us most welcome and handed us over to sommelier Remy who looked after us with great humour.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Arabjim
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was in Old Course on Saturday for morning coffee in library and requested biscuits , we got a biscuit on the side of the saucer ( not quite what would be expected ! )
Also we went there for lunch on sunday 25th may to road hole restaurant. Three course set meal food could not be faulted except they tried to charge us for pudding . This was explained as a fault a the till !!! . Then my mother had to ask for horseradish sauce for her roast beef , I heard other people asking the same thing . Waitress then tried to bring my coffee before my pudding .
Standards slipping here I think

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
OldCourseHotel, Director of Operations at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Old Course Hotel.

I am extremely concerned to learn of the levels of service you encountered during your visit as they are most definitely not the levels of service which we pride ourselves upon. I would like to ensure you that I will personally address these issues as part of our ongoing staff training and development programme.

I am very sorry these issues impacted upon your stay and I hope you will visit again to enjoy our customary levels of service.

Kind regards,
David

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I did not stay here...but I indulged and booked a 80 minutes River bath and massage. Having never, ever done any type of spa treatment before (aside from a mani/pedi) I did not know what to expect. Well, I could not have picked a more perfect place to have a first spa treatment. The service was friendly and warm. The atmosphere was relaxed. My treatment itself, with Jessica, was fantastic. Just what I needed having driving 300 miles in the British countryside. It was pricy but even at a high price, I feel I most definitely got my money's worth. I would do another treatment again here in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Expecting a lot from our first stay at a leading hotel of the world and it certainly delivered.

The room overlooked the 17th hole, I think. Large room. Big bathroom. A little aged here and there.

We travelled with our baby son. The touches to provide us with a baby bathing seat and a little tiger puppet was greatly received. To this day nearly 6 months on my son still plays with the puppet.

Lunch at the restaurant upstairs was simply fantastic for £15 per person for 3 courses. High chairs provided...messy baby food...great view....great service.

Breakfast was not in the same standard. It seemed to be quite a stampede of bodies running everywhere and a little disorganised. Ah well its breakfast and everyone is hungry. who cares if we had to wait a little.

The door men were not in the same league of friendliness as a hotel we visited in Lausanne so marking down on this front.

Upon checking out the lady at the front desk knew our names much to our surprise having not met here before. Nice tough.

All in all a great stay. We will be back and hopefully to a more welcome smile at the door.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family