“Anniversary to remember!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in St Andrews
Basel, Switzerland
“Anniversary to remember!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here this Saturday evening and were celebrating our anniversary - we didn't have a room over looking the course - but that didn't matter...the bed was beautiful and the pillows were excellent - great fluffy towels and very nice unusual toiletries.
We arrived quite early and wet straight to the spa.......heavenly to sit on the roof top in the sun in the Jacuzzi! the spa area is just right and we were very lucky that there were not many people in there so we felt very exclusive!
We had a light salad in the spa which was simple and delicious.
Whilst getting ready to go for dinner - which was quite late 9.30pm - we had a phone call from fine dining ....would it be possible to bring us some champagne and canapes?! why yes of course! it was - then we went for a drink in the Jigger Inn and then on the dinner - we chose th taster menu with wines and it was outstanding - Remis was a superb sommelier - the food was delicious - well balanced and delightful! when we went back to our room we had rose petals on the bed it was wonderful end to our evening - we had breakfast in our room and that too was excellent - we couldn't fault the hospitality and attention at this hotel - if there was a slight downside - it was the size of the bathroom - just a little on the small side - other than that it was all top notch!!

Room Tip: Maybe look at the rooms facing the old course - but our room was lovely anyway
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Finnish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

This review is for the spa only.Excellent treatments ,good lunch.My only gripe is that they charge 10 £ extra for treatments on Saturday .I had the signature facial which was so relaxing.My sister rated the classic facial highly although she wasn't terribly impressed with the maternity massage.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SmitaNeginhal
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

When our tour guide booked us into a dump above the pub guest room, I wandered down to this classic spot where you hit over the sign on 17. They found a room for me at 12:00 midnight, helped me get my stuff transported from the dump and made things quite easy for me. The breakfast buffet is unbeatable with a giant view up 17 and towards the R and A on the Old Course. Well done Herb!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Andrew Z
Clayton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

After a week in London at a Hyatt, we traveled to St. Andrews for my first golf experience where it all began. At the Hyatt, we could hardly move around the room without one of us stepping aside in the tiny closet of a room. When we were escorted to our room at the Old Course Hotel, my wife asked whether we could afford such a spacious room. Being a kohler property you can expect all the extras in the bathroom including towel warming racks. The staff were pleasant and you can "understand" them unlike trying to converse with some of the locals. We attended in May. Otis light until nearly 9:00 PM. while having dinner we could look down on the course watching the locals play golf. An absolutely wonderful experience. If you are looking for an upscale hotel on the course, this is the hotel for you. I loved it and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We did nothing special to obtain a great room. It must be the Kohler hospitality!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Colts Neck, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've been to St. Andrews many times, but my stay in June was only my 4th time at The Old Course Hotel (OCH). Simply stated, the hotel is first class in all respects. Kohler purchased the hotel several years ago & has expanded & improved it. There are other charming & quaint hotels in town ( ex. Russacks, which overlooks the 18th hole ) which may appeal to some travelers, but none offer the whole package of amenities the OCH has.
First of all, the location: many deluxe rooms & suites overlook the 17th or Road Hole, one of the most famous & difficult in golf. There are a variety of dining & bar options with an unbeatable breakfast buffet,a world class spa, dedicated golf staff, etc., etc.
We were a male golf foursome, 2 men were happy to share a room, while the 3rd & I stayed in single rooms throughout the trip. Since there were no single rooms available when we booked our trip several months ago I was resigned to sharing a room with someone other than my wife for the first time in many years. Our room was in the new addition Kohler built & turned out to be a suite overlooking the Road Hole, about mid fairway. I'm not sure if this was an upgrade or we actually paid for it, but it turned out great. The bedroom had 2 double beds, the main bath was excepional, as you would expect from Kohler, with 2 sinks, etc. There was a separate 1/2 bath & a large living area with a dining & entertainment area. I slept on the couches in the TV area & had all the privacy I wanted.
People go to Scotland for golf & look for many different experiences. Some want old & quaint which is very nice, but at this point I want comfort, location & luxury. If that's what you want then the OCH is for you.

Room Tip: I've always had a room with a view of the Road Hole. This last trip I had a suite in the new sec...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank rbesho
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Booked a night at the Old Course as a 20 year reunion with an old uni chum. We were delighted to have a corner room overlooking the 17th and 'that view' over the R&A and Hamilton. Room was lovely as were the staff who could not have been more helpful.
Positives included: a glass of whatever you fancied on arrival; amazing flowers throughout the hotel; breakfast was delicious and Road Hole restaurant was stunning. The Spa was also wonderful: much more than pool, Jacuzzi etc and staff again were more than helpful: hot tub on the roof was fabulous. Great recommendation to visit Ham's Hame (bar/restaurant under Hamilton Grand) which served great food and fab wine with more than helpful service.
Our only negative feedback was the Afternoon Tea which was in the Sands restaurant. Although the food and service was great, the location was dark with no view and we could have been anywhere. Even with the conservatory booked for a wedding that day, we thought the Roadhole on the 4th floor would have been a much better alternative.
Although it is expensive, we definitely concluded that we would return as the all-round experience made our reunion all the more special. Thank you Old Course!

Room Tip: Ask for the corner room under the Road Hole overlooking the 17th.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Booked afternoon Tea to Celebrate my aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary. I have been previously and had afternoon tea in the conservatory and it was lovely. On this occasion it was served in the 'Sands' restaurant. The restaurant is very dark with no views and the service was poor. When I asked for some more tea, the girl disappeared and never returned !! Also the choice of sandwiches and cake were not as good as I had had before as there was not much to eat.

If you book to go for afternoon tea only go if it is going to be served in the conservatory otherwise it is a waste of money !

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
OldCourseHotel, Food & Beverage Manager at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave feedback following your recent visit to the Resort for afternoon tea.

Please accept my sincere apologies that you left the Resort disappointed with your experience. We regularly receive wonderful feedback regarding both the quality of our food and the levels of service and I am disappointed you did not receive our customary level of service upon your visit.

Afternoon Tea is served in the Conservatory Monday through to Friday and at the weekends in our Sands Grill, I am sorry if this was not conveyed to you at the time of booking.

I do hope you will return to the Resort so that we may restore your faith in us and please feel free to contact me directly and I will be delighted to oversee the details of your visit.

With kind regards,