The Dunvegan Hotel
Greyfriars Inn(St Andrews)
US$256
US$642
US$593
Fairmont St Andrews(St Andrews)
US$304
US$113
Ardgowan Hotel(St Andrews)
US$208
  • Restaurant
All reviewsjack and sheenaclaret jugtremendous hostsgolf memorabiliaextra specialgolf vacationperfect hotelkeen golferplay golfvisiting stcouple of nightsirongolfersgolfingholescotlandpint
Reviewed 4 July 2009

Jack and Sheena are the greatest hosts. The hotel is very charming. I went with 3 golfing buddies and we had the time of our life. Already booked for next year. I felt like a little kid when we left. Sheena and Jack we're waving good bye to us. It is the ONLY place I will stay in St. Andrews. Great pub, great restaurant, great accommodations and great hosts!

Reviewed 11 June 2009

We have been traveling around the world playing golf. But nothing is like coming "home" to Jack and Sheena. After 10 years, still returning to the best hotel in the world. For all the wrong we have made, they made it right for us. They been serving us the best food and the best of drinks. The service towards us have been absolutly superior. And the atmosphere in the pub that jack and Sheena has created is brilliant.
Already looking forward to next year. I promise that you will not get rid of us.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2009

If there is a finer establishment to hang your hat in St Andrews, I'll eat your hat! Having recently returned from a five day stay in St Andrews, The Dunvegan quickly became a home away from home. Jack and Sheena, the owners, are omnipresent and treat you like you are a returning VIP or family member. The entire staff seemed to know each and every customer personally, which of course is most unlikely, but that's the kind of care and personal attention that they serve up.

After "experimenting" with meals at other locations in St Andrews it was a gimme putt to go nowhere else but The Dunvegan for after round pints, lunch between rounds and dinner before retiring. Being a bit of a food snob, I can be a challenge to servers but not at The Dunvegan. From Mike the bartender to all the servers, especially Linda from Pittsburgh, they could not have been more patient with my endless questions of "what's good here?" and incidentally, one would be missing out on the dessert of a lifetime if they did not try the Hot Sticky Toffee Pudding w/ Ice Cream. It is in a phrase, "to die for." When I raved about it (for the 3rd night in a row) they even offered to get me the recipe.

If you are a golfer, spending some time in the bar at The Dunvegan is second only to playing the Old Course itself. It's a veritable golf museum and the walls are lined with pictures of (seemingly) every famous golfer on the planet except Old Tom Morris himself, who have visited The Dunvegan and had their picture taken with the staff. It's obvious from the moment you walk in that it's the "place to be in St Andrews" if you're looking to soak up some of the local flavor and history.

It is hard to fathom that anyone from anywhere could find little wrong or missing with the Dunvegan. History, atmosphere and lore, incredible location, fantastic food (both casual and upscale), superb customer service and personal attention...what else is there?

Can hardly wait to return "home" to St Andrews and The Dunvegan.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank InGolfWeTrust
Reviewed 10 June 2009

I first met Jack in 1994 when he and Sheena opened the Dunvegan Hotel. Twenty trips later, I consider the Dunvegan to be my favorite hotel in the World. Everyone at the Dunvegan treat their guests with fantastic service - from sending my suitcase I left on the curb to my Edinburgh hotel to making me ice tea. All of my Scotland trips start with making plans for my stay at the Dunvegan. I don't always play the Old Course when I visit but I always stay at the Dunvegan - otherwise my trip is incompete. I only have one regret with the hotel and the staff --- my visits do not come often enough.
Dennis Tosh
Oxford, Mississippi

1  Thank Oxfordbogey
Reviewed 10 June 2009

My small group of 10 were treated like royalty at The Dunvegan. Jack and Sheena and the whole staff bent over backwards for us. They booked tee times, called cabs, gave us shopping tips, and even let us have "Aggie Night" in the bar! We found the food and the service excellent, BUT the guest towels were my favorite. They are huge and really thick!
The computer and free internet service in the suite was very handy too. The hotel is only a block away from the Old Course. I highly recommend the hotel.