Albany Hotel
Excellent 5/5
Greyfriars Inn(St Andrews)
Vardon House(St Andrews)
Very Good 4/5
    The Russell Hotel(St Andrews)
    Hazelbank Hotel(St Andrews)
    Hotel Du Vin(St Andrews)
    Ardgowan Hotel(St Andrews)
    Very Good 4/5
    The Dunvegan Hotel(St Andrews)
    Excellent 5/5
    Very Good 4/5
    All reviewsgarden suitesmall loungesmall hotelexcellent breakfastnight portersingle roomgreat central locationcharming hotelcomfortable roomno elevatorkipperswithin walking distanceenjoyed my staycontinental breakfastmiddle of towntop floorvery pleasant stay
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 7 September 2011

The welcome was very good and the service and staff help and assistance, was top class at all times, from our check in, to departure after breakfast (good breakfast). The hotel location was perfect for us, attending a wedding in St. Salvator's Chapel, almost opposite. Pricing was quite high for a small double room, but certanly not above average for St. Andrews, an expensive town. The room was clean (and comfortable), as was the en-suite bathroom - did I mention small? I have stayed in hotels in St. Andrews before and this was the most welcoming and certainly as good value as anywhere. Professional from the first email reply to the last farewell.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
    Albany21, General Manager at Albany Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2011

Thank you taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent stay with us. It is great to hear that the staff assisted in making your trip a memorable one. I will be sure to pass on your comments to all of the team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind Regards Sean Martin

Reviewed 23 August 2011

I booked this hotel only a few days before my wife's birthday - the price and location were the attraction.

Despite living locally, we'd never noticed the place on previous visits to St Andrews, and almost drove past it. Parking was a little difficult initially (Saturday afternoon when the weather is nice, not unexpected), but we eventually got a free place directly across the road.

We received a very nice welcome from the charming receptionist, and we had a double room on the ground floor. The room itself was fine, very clean and with a comfy bed, good TV and a nice view out the back. The only disappointment was the en-suite which was effectively just a partitioned area of the room. the shower made gurgling noises for quite a lot of the time we were in the room, but nothing in comparison to the seagulls ...

After a lovely evening wandering round the town, we enjoyed a nightcap in the small lounge where we had a nice chat with another couple, regular stayers by the sound of it.

My wife is a light sleeper at the best of times, but even I was woken by the seabirds who started at the crack of dawn and kept going until it was nearly time to get up. Obviously nothing the hotel can do about that, it's a hazard of staying at a seaside town, but it did mean that we were a bit less than bright and breezy when we went down for breakfast.

As noted by other reviewers, the breakfast was outstanding. The male and female serving us were very busy as every table was taken, but their service was impeccable, attentive to your every request. The food itself (traditional cooked breakfast) was fantastic, as was the coffee. Nowadays, you're often charged extra for breakfast and it's not worth the money, but the Albany came up trumps ! Just a pity it's a relatively early meal time (7.15 to 9.15 on a Sunday), but probably due to the early check-out time (10). Which in turn is probably due to the early check-in time (1). How about slipping everything by an hour at the weekend ?

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in St Andrews and felt the amount we paid was a fair price for the experience. We'd definitely come back, but hopefully to a slightly better room and when the seagulls are hibernating !!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If I go back, I'll be trying to get an upstairs room where there is probably more privacy as far as looking out the bedroom window goes!
    • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
    Albany21, General Manager at Albany Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2011

Thank you for your valuable feedback from your recent visit to The Albany. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. We continually review all areas of service that we provide and will certainly look into your suggestion. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Just to make you aware, apparently the seagull population seems to boom in July and August due to young chicks hatching... Kind Regards Sean Martin

Reviewed 22 August 2011

LOVED The Albany Hotel. The Staff, Sean, the manager, Sophie, Johanna, Katie, Liz, Rose and Rick the chef, and the housekeeping staff are the ones that make The Albany Hotel the wonderful place it is. They make each and every visitor feel like royalty.
    The rooms are small but quaint. Breakfast is outstanding. Everything is fresh and most mornings you can find Sean waiting on tables or busing tables right along side Liz and Rose.
    The rooms and the entire property are always spotlessly clean. The lounge is quaint and a great place to read, have evening cocktails and visit with everyone staying in the hotel. Our last night in St. Andrews, Cecilia the owner had cocktails with everyone. In all our travels we have never had an owner and a staff make us feel the way we were made to feel at The Albany Hotel.
    The location is perfect. Most of our group were golfers. They had no problems getting to courses to play. For the sightseers and shoppers in our group most everything was within walking distance or the busstop was right across the street.
    I look forward to our return trip to stay at The Albany House.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
    Albany21, General Manager at Albany Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am very pleased to hear that all the team helped make your stay here at The Albany such a special one. It was a pleasure having all of you as our guests, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind Regards Sean Martin

Reviewed 8 August 2011

We spent just one might at the Albany, but it was a great experience! They have a fantastic location on North Street right next to the ruins. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was great. I was traveling with my father who has medication that needs to be kept frozen, and they were exceptionally helpful in making sure we kept everything cold. I would definitely recommend this hotel to people traveling to St. Andrews, particularly if location is a big concern.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
    Albany21, General Manager at Albany Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Albany Hotel. My team and I are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind Regards Sean Martin

Reviewed 8 August 2011

I went for a weekend golf outing and the staff was helpful in helping me understand how to best use my time and get inside scoop on what to do/where to go. They were also very friendly/helpful with other queries and went above expectations.

Very good location for town shopping, eating, univeristy, tourist sites, and golf. Rate is very competitive with local, comparable market.

Room was very clean, size appropriate, nice decor and attention to detail. They let me check out late, keep my bags (large golf clubs included) for quite sometime until my train.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main road may get street noise at times. Wasn't a big deal, but did notice.
    • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo