“Spoiled Weekend”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Spoiled Weekend”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My family and I decided to spend the weekend in st Andrews, and after a great stay last year we decided to stay at the Albany Hotel again. I wish we'd tried somewhere else. It all started off well: pleasant and fast check-in, the room was clean and the beds were comfortable.
Things started to go wrong around 2.30 in the morning for at least the next 90 minutes. My young children and I were woken up by a lads party returning from a night out, who were not really considering their neighbours.
Now I understand the management can't have much control over their guests, but why they would place a family next door to a group of lads does escape me. I tried on a couple of occasions to call the night reception but it kept ringing out. So with no other option I had to speak to the group myself. Not impressed on having to do it but the kids were quite upset.
Despite the lack of sleep the kids were up at 7am so plenty of time for breakfast. This too started off well but the scrambled eggs with the smoked salmon was so cooked it could have bounced off the floor. Despite the majority of my breakfast left I was only asked if my plate could be taken away. There was no query of something was wrong, which there obviously was.
Check out was quick, but again no query about the stay.
It seems when all goes well in this hotel the staff are great. However, there seems to be as lack of ability of dealing with problems: either through avoiding the issue or not noticing. This is a nice little hotel that could be great.

Room Tip: The junior suite at the back of the hotel!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BarryRD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed here for a night right before an interview for the St Andrews university the following morning and was very impressed by the service received. The room was very well furnished and felt like I was staying at a hotel with a much higher star rating. In booking this room I had to make last minute changes such as an extra guest and the staff had already noted my reasoning in the first phonecall and had already prepared just in case I had the additional guest.

Everything was great to be honest nothing I can complain about. Good shower, good facilities and everything. The following morning despite having to check out by 11am the interview was much later and the staff offered to look after my bags and my impression was they were prepared to go the extra mile with all our requests. Staff were polite with all our interactions and the breakfast was great too.

I can't personally fathom where the negative reviews came from, perhaps they stayed in the wrong hotel by mistake. I paid slightly more for when I had to travel to Leicester for an interview and got half as much service and felt very much like a number.

Many thanks to all the staff who made us feel very welcome especially the gentleman who wished me good luck for my interview!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Aamir27
Scotland
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My partner and I stayed here for two nights in August 2013 and we were left distinctly underwhelmed. The sheets were dirty, the showers weak, and the owner (Janet) seemed to be delusional about the standard of the facilities. I would not recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My wife stayed here when she came over to help my daughter get settled at University of St. Andrews for the semester and I returned with her again for a visit. Stayed at the Albany both times and had excellent experiences. Clean rooms, excellent breakfast made to order. Right across the street from the main part of the campus. Rooms on the small side but as expected in Europe. Had an enjoyable scotch tasting session with the proprietor in the little sitting room in front of the fireplace. Very helpful about things to do or places to see and arranging transportation back to Edinborough Airport.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I recently stayed in the Albany Hotel while delivering a lecture at the University. The reason I stayed there was proximity to where I was lecturing, about a five minute walk. A second good point was that the breakfast was good and hearty. On the negative side, as mentioned by other reviewers, the rooms were small. This is to be expected in a hotel of this size. However, what really made my stay awful was the shower. First of all, I had to be instructed by on of the staff to turn the shower on using a switch outside the bathroom door. Then, I got the shock of my life. The shower alternated between freezing cold and scalding hot to the point that I could not safely have a shower, so simply "sponged" off my body. Since Scotland was cold at this time, not having a decent hot shower was a terrible way to start the day. If I get back to St. Andrews, I will certainly avoid this hotel!

Room Tip: Make sure they have fixed their shower problem before even reserving a room here.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I was looking a last minute hotel or B&B in St. Andrews. We founded an offer in The Albany, I stayed several times in St. Andrews but it was my first time in The Albany. The location could not be better! The staff very friendly and helpful, all of them! Breakfast was good, a lot of choice. Room could be bigger and less noisy, that was the only problem.

Room Tip: Second floor, nice view, but need help with the luggage.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Almaty, Almaty City, Kazakhstan
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Good location of the hotel, shopping malls,bars and restaurants everything is near the hotel. Also you can easily find the way from the hotel to the main street (Quenn street) in Edinburgh.Service is nice,very polite stuff.Room is not too big,but bathroom is huge, it's good to stay there for 2-3 nights not more.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple