“Upgrade your plumbing”
Review of Albany Hotel

Albany Hotel
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Albany for 5 nights the third week in June. I wanted to give a better rating as we liked the location, handy for everything, and the breakfast was good, waitresses very friendly. However, the very minimum I expect of a 3 star hotel, especially one that charges £140 a night, is a good bed and a decent shower. The Albany failed on both these requirements. The bed was uncomfortable and the springs were noisy. It took me 4 days to work out how to get the trickle of water that came out of the inner circle of the shower to a temperature that my body could cope with. We felt we were fobbed off when we spoke to reception staff about this. They know this room (no 18) is sub standard and don't want to get involved. The toilet has a sani-flow unit which is very noisy and churns all the time water is running in the basin and the shower. The room itself was fine, clean but a bit tired. Old cream curtains let in full daylight at 4.30am.
I probably would not have given a poor review if we had only stayed one night but 5 days was just too long to cope with the shower. I found myself panicking about how I would wash my hair and ended up hanging over the bath and using cold water to avoid scalding my scalp.
From reading other reviews, most of the other rooms must be of a much higher standard. A bit of investment is required in room 18 to make it worth it's high price tag.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alison H

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Albany Hotel in St. Andrews, Scotland. While our room was small, it was very clean and comfortable. The breakfasts are phenomenal ! The service is excellent and we found all of the staff we had interactions with to be extremely friendly and helpful. The location is perfect...close to the golf course, restaurants, the cathedral, castle, and St. Andrew's University.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We were 3 travelers. We had 2 rooms within a room, sharing the same bathroom. We had a patio with a table overlooking gardens. Breakfast was delightful. The service was excellent. It was within walking distance of St Andrews golf course, the castle and cathedral ruins, and shopping. Very quaint.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We got into town late, and the room was all set up as requested with extra beds and was great. The service was impeccable and they arranged for an early breakfast - 5:30am so that I could make an early tee time at the Old Course! Breakfast was fully ready to go and the service was above and beyond in all respects!

Room Tip: Don't miss this great hotel just up the road from the Old Course!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed in the family room (1 double, 1 single) on the top floor -- no lift so you will schlep your bags up multiple winding stairs. Neat old hotel with lots of character. Breakfast was very good. The street was a little noisy as partiers were on the street. I thought the price was a bit steep but that seems to be the going rate in St. Andrews. The location was great for walking anywhere in St. Andrews.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the street.
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Spent five nights at this small and centrally located hotel.

We were a party of four golfers all in single rooms and found the facilities perfect for our requirements. Nice clean rooms, well appointed and serviced. Great breakfasts, enjoyed by all.

This hotel has a very comfortable lounge at the front which was a perfect meeting place each evening and also for a nightcap after dinner.

Service in all areas was superb with Ellen and Richard outstanding.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I was a bit nervous about staying here because of some of the previous comments, and because I was booked into a single room, but in fact everything was fine and I enjoyed my two nights there very much.

Room Tip: I had a view of the street and some of the lovely old university buildings, which I really appreciat...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business