“Great food, awesome location and friendly staff”
Review of Hams Hame

Ranked #32 of 155 Restaurants in St Andrews
Price range: US$14 - US$30
Cuisines: Scottish, British, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Ham's Hame is St Andrews' newest 19th hole - set by the 18th green of the world's most famous golf course and adjacent to the revered Royal & Ancient Golf Club.Opened in 2013, our newest Pub and Grill is a fabulous venue offering outstanding Scottish cuisine that showcases the best ingredients – seafood landed on the harbours of the East Neuk's fishing villages, carefully selected pork, lamb, beef, game and poultry reared by award-winning producers across Scotland … as well as seasonal fruits and vegetables chosen for their flavour from farms, some of which overlook St Andrews. Food served from 7am.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

During 5 days in St Andrews, we hit up a lot of pubs and restaurants. Hams Hame was great. We had a huge booth facing the room and were treated well by Jamie and his team. We ordered the basics (fish and chips) and they didn’t disappoint. Highly recommend.

1  Thank hungerford3
Jamie A, Manager at Hams Hame, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Hungerford3

Thank you for your comments about myself and my team, it’s lovely to hear you enjoyed your visits with us.

We hope to welcome you back to Hams Hame again soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The meals are fantastic, love the name of the restaurant. This is a great place for a romantic meal, or out with friends.

Jamie A, Manager at Hams Hame, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Susan462018

Thank you for your comments about Hams Hame, we pride ourselves on food and service and it’s lovely to hear you enjoyed it.

We hope to welcome you back to Hams Hame again soon!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were visiting St Andrews for the day and found this place which we hadn't seen before so must have been fairly new. Was dark inside and quite "rustic". The staff weren't particularly friendly and there were five tv screens all showing different football and sports. This hadn't looked like a sports bar or we would never have gone in. Also crowds of men kept arriving making a loud noise and going through the bar to another room. Turned out there was a poker tournament on!
Don't go here if you want a quiet drink, a comfortable seat or a pleasant meal. We left quite quickly as this was not our scene. I believe it's run by the Old Course so was not quite what we expected.

Jamie A, Manager at Hams Hame, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Jaybe1804,

Firstly, I’d like to thank you for taking the time to review the Hams Hame. It’s only with feedback like yours that we’re able to maintain, and where necessary, improve, our services.

I’m very disappointed to read about your experience at you felt the staff were not friendly and I’d like to sincerely apologise. We pride ourselves on our service and we’ll ensure the points you mentioned are addressed with the staff involved. The 5 tvs we have are not to give a sports bar feel but are purely on in background for Golf events on sky or football. Rarely we have commentary on. Vast majority of our guests are golfers in St Andrews who we know enjoy viewing this. The student poker event we had on was a mixed event in our function room that was a one off event. We were unaware or noticed any interuptions to our guests in main bar but again apologise for any inconvenience.

Again, please accept my apology and I hope this won’t deter you from coming to Hams Hamein the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2018

Visited here with my partner after seeing that they had recently updated the menu through the facebook and Instagram pages.

Staff were very friendly from when when we walked through the door up to when we left. Drinks order taken promptly and brought to our table. Even though the pub was very busy for lunch! Pint of Guinness was one of the best I've had.

For food, my partner went for the Gammon Steak and I had the Steak Sandwich. Food arrived around 10 minutes later. the steak sandwich was massive, and cooked perfectly.
My partners gammon steak came with a Ham Hock dauphonoise potato, which sounded a bit too heavy, but, tasted amazing, creamy, cheesy and the flavor of ham matched the rest of the dish perfectly.

For deserts we both had a Peanut Butter sundae which came with I am told peanut brittle that the chefs made themselves!
Would definitely recommend visiting if you're on this corner in St Andrews.

Jamie A, Manager at Hams Hame, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear travelinscot8791,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! It’s so nice to hear you’ve had a good time and I’m particularly delighted to hear you enjoyed the food and drinks so much.

We’ll be sure to pass on your feedback and hope to see you at the [add outlet] again soon.

Hams Hame Manager

Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

My friend and I ate here in the late afternoon. He had the fish & chips (average) and I had a burger (very good). It wasn’t busy, there was lots of staff and the food came out quick and hot. The service was pretty good from the young waiter. The booth was comfortable and the drinks were cold. We’d come here again. If you’re American and want a pretty traditional American menu, this is a safe stop in St Andrews.

Jamie A, Manager at Hams Hame, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2018

Dear Brian,

Thank you so much for sharing the experience you had at Hams Hame with your fellow TripAdvisor users – we really appreciate it. It means a lot to us that you mentioned the burger was very good and we’ll be sure to pass on your positive review to our . Sorry to see your score was lower than our average but will pass on the Fish and Chips thoughts to our chef.

Please do come back soon!

Best wishes,