“kinross/milnathort golf trip”

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Kinross, United Kingdom
“kinross/milnathort golf trip”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I thought that the service from the staff was excellent particularly in the restaurant. I thought the dinner was of a very high standard as was breakfast.. The staff generated an atmosphere which was both very welcoming and very efficient. The Ardgowan experience in my view put many of the so-called luxury hotels to shame.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
ArdgowanHotel, Reservations and Marketing Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear Alistair,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. It is wonderful to receive such a great comment from one of our guests, and I will also pass your kind words onto the staff in Playfair’s.

We hope that you enjoyed your golf trip and that you has a safe trip home. We would be delighted to see you if you return to St Andrews in the future!

Mairi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The room was very good the only problem there was no view,was very clean and everything worked in the room.I ate three nights in the restaurant and the food was fantastic and the breakfasts were very good and all the staff were really helpful and friendly.I found the hotel to be in a excellent location as i was playing golf in the fife and angus therefore i would recommend your hotel to anyone,if i visit St Andrews again i would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ArdgowanHotel, Reservations and Marketing Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you very much for your review, and I’m delighted to hear that you were so happy with your stay here. I will also pass your kind feedback on to the staff in the kitchen and restaurant.

We would be delighted to welcome you back in the future. Perhaps we could even accommodate you in one of the rooms at the top of the hotel, from which it is possible to see the Old Course?

I hope that you enjoyed your golf trip and had a safe journey home.

columbia
Reviewed 5 September 2013

"Location, location location" is best description for this property. If you are a golf enthusiast and require no frills, you should be satisfied at the Ardgowan Hotel. This historic property offers rooms that are substantial for its age but may not be large enough for modern traveller. The room darkening curtains are helpful. Problems include a front desk that closes at 9pm although the staff in Playfairs restaurant will answer the phone. Soap must be taken from the sink to be used in your shower---and back to sink. Toilet paper doubles for tissue for sneezes. Although decorated in Victorian style to partner with the historic property, the decor and lighting is much too dark for any reading prior to sleeping. As mentioned by others, there is no elevator but that didn't pose a problem. However, only street parking is available and that seemed it might be problematic until we noticed others temporarily using front curb in front of hotel to unload clubs and luggage and then moving to find street parking.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
ArdgowanHotel, Reservations and Marketing manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you found the hotel so convenient your golfing trip, and hope that you enjoyed your time on the courses in and around St Andrews.

I am particularly glad that you have brought the issues you had with the lighting in your room to our attention, and we will certainly be able to look into this for our future guests.

I hope that you had a safe journey home.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Not great from the sleep quality point of view.

A minus with the bedrooms is that the walls a quite thin so the person snoring in the next room can be heard quite clearly! Worse than that though is the design of the bedroom doors which swing shut quite sharply with the inevitable consequence that you wake up if one of your neighbour comes in as happened to me a few times.

The breakfast is nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the house are quite noisy in terms of the traffic
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
ArdgowanHotel, Reservations and Marketing Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your feedback.

I am happy to hear that you were impressed with our location, the cleanliness of the hotel, and the service which you received. Obviously, however, your sleep quality is one of the most important elements of your stay and I can only apologise that you were disturbed. For health and safety reasons we need to have fire doors on all of the corridors, which may explain the banging which woke you, but all of these are fitted so that they close as softly as possible.

We have plenty of rooms available at the back of the hotel if guests are concerned by the noise from the road, and these can be specifically allocated at the time of booking. Perhaps if you find yourself in St Andrews again we might be able to welcome you back to the hotel and accommodate you in one of these quieter rooms.

I hope that you had a safe journey back.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

The room was ok, however I wasn't prepared for amount of stairs to climb to our room, think elderly and infirm would struggle as there would appear to be no lifts. The room itself was nice enough, although shower cubicle was a bit of a tight squeeze and I'm a size 12!
Overall a pleasant enough stay but a bit pricey.

• Stayed August 2013
ArdgowanHotel, Reservations and Marketing Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
As always, we are very grateful to our guests who leave feedback.

Being a listed Georgian building, the hotel does not have lifts, and I am sorry that you were taken aback by the stairs. Regarding your concern for elderly guests, we do have several rooms on the same level as reception, and others only half a flight of stairs up or down, and we would always do our best to allocate a room on a low level if necessary. I am also sorry to hear that you found your shower to be a tight squeeze. Again, we have a range of rooms in different sizes to try to accommodate the needs of all our guests, so I am sorry that you were disappointed.

I hope that we might be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Best regards,
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Just spent a long weekend staying in the Ardgowan and was a little disappointed having eaten in their Playfairs Restaurant last year thought the Hotel would be as good but that is not the case. I know it is the centre of St Andrews but felt it was overpriced for the size and quality of the accomodation. The room we were allocated was very small and the shower room/toilet even smaller. The service was good and the staff friendly but the breakfast disappointing although adequate. Playfairs is still a fabulous restaurant though.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a large room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
GaryFoster, Reservations and Marketing Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Ardgowan. I am glad to hear that you found our staff so friendly and that you consider Playfair’s an excellent restaurant, but I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the other aspects of your stay. Because people stay at the hotel for so many different reasons, we try to offer a range of room sizes to suit their needs, and I am sorry that you found your room too small for your needs on your long weekend.

I hope that we might be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future, when perhaps we could accommodate you in one of our refurbished standard rooms?

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your holiday.

Kind regards

Scotland
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband and I went to St Andrews for a day trip last year. Loved the place so much decided to go back the same time this year. Took an overnight bag incase we decided to stay as I was off work the next day. This was the first hotel we tried and by luck they had a room. It was on second floor room no. 24. Thought it was very pricey at £143 per night . Room had twin beds but when we came in later on they had made them into a king size for us. Bed was really comfy,room and bathroom were spotless. Glad of the big fluffy towels and shower gel etc as we travelled light. My husband had the cooked breakfast and said it was fab. The only negative I have is that our room was dimly lit. There were a few lights in it but none bright enough to do hair and makeup in. Big full length mirror but you couldn't really see much in it. Bathroom was really bright though I wasn't keen on the type of shower. Shower head fixed to ceiling so it was quite hard to wash without getting your hair wet. Other than that it was a really lovely hotel in fab location. Thanks to staff.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
ArdgowanHotel, Reservations and Marketing Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your time with us at the Ardgowan. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were so happy with the cleanliness of the room and the helpfulness of our team. We also take on board yoru feedback abotu the lighting in your room and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel in the future shoudl you find yourselves in the St Andrews area again.