“Ardgowan Hotel”

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in St Andrews
glasgow
“Ardgowan Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

We were very impressed by the greeting we recieved at check-in.
Our room was clean tidy and very comfortable.
Breakfast was superb.
Staff were very friendly and helpful. would certainly return for another visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank thomas m
ArdgowanHotel, Reservations and Marketing Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
We were delighted to read your review of the Ardgowan. Thank you very much for your kind feedback. Should you make the journey to St Andrews again please do not hesitate to get in touch to arrange a reservation.

Mairi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Graz, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

The place is lovely, the staff very welcoming. We had room 38, a huge one right under the roof with an amazing view. One minute walking from the city center, there is no private parking, but finding a place where to leave the car is not an issue. The only problem was the breakfast: the "continental" one was terrible. The rest of the food was not spectacular but ok. Overall we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vv89793
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. I was sorry to see that you did not enjoy your breakfast. This is an area on which we rarely receive poor feedback, and we really appreciate your comments as they will allow us to improve the experience of our future guests. On the other hand, it is lovely to see that you were so comfortable in your room. Room 38 is one of our favourites, so we were glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay there.

If you make the journey to St Andrews again please do not hesitate to contact us to arrange a reservation. We would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back and give you a better experience at breakfast.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Firstly I found a hair in the sink, not a good start ! The room itself was adaquate, being an old town house. Location was ideal as everything was within walking distance. I must say I was REALLY disappointed with the FULL Scottish breakfast. I think I had the half with 2 skinny wee sausages, tomato, 1 mushroom & 2 bacon - no black pudding, potato scone or beans although I was told later if I had asked for them I could have got them - are you kidding !!!
Bar in basement was nice for a drink and looked nice for meals, overall, it was OK but I would not stay there again.

1 Thank Strac1
Dear Petrichor11,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your breakfast. It is not something which we often get poor feedback about so obviously we are taking your comments very seriously. The extra breakfast items are advertised in the menu, but I am sorry that this was not pointed out to you before service and understand that it must have been frustrating to be told afterwards.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your time in St Andrews and that you had a safe journey home.

Kind regards

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel, reception staff couldn't have been more helpful, room immaculate. Had a huge comfy bed and was very clean with loads of hanging space. However service at breakfast let this stay down. Despite us saying that were heading out to work & had limited time service was dead slow. I wouldn't have minded but we had to wait 20 mins for even a cup of tea/coffee & despite opting for continental it took over 30 mins to arrive. No apology was given by staff and I feel that our order was forgotten as others were served first. This left a bit of a bad taste in the mouth despite the rest of the hotel being fab! Sharpen up your serving staff & you'll get full marks.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
ArdgowanHotel, Reservations and Marketing Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. We take all feedback extremely seriously, as it helps us to improve the experience of our future guests.

It is great to hear that you were so happy with the hotel, your room, and your experience with our reception staff, and I hope that we were able to help you make the most of your trip to St Andrews. It is upsetting to hear, however, that you felt let down by your experience at breakfast. This is not a typical experience for guests at our hotel and I will pass your comments on to all staff to ensure that this does not happen again.

If you have to travel to St Andrews on business again, or for any other reason, please let me know. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the Ardgowan and give you the full five star experience.

Medford, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Remiss in not writing sooner, we had a great five days at your hotel several weeks ago. Had wonderful rooms with large windows over looking the street. Bath was recently renovated beds comfortable. The hotel food was the best we had on our trip, the guys loved the variety and quality. Enjoyed talking to the helpful staff and found them very responsive to our requests.

This was my second stay and certainly not my last.

Many Thanks from New Jersey

Room Tip: Three bed rooms are great for two guys. Plenty of room for clubs and clothes.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Francis M
ArdgowanHotel, Reservations and Marketing Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Francis M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. It is always great for us to hear such lovely feedback, and I will certainly pass your comments on to the rest of the staff.

It sounds as though you stayed in one of our recently renovated large rooms. We love the look and feel of these rooms, and I’m glad to hear that you found it so comfortable and spacious. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant, Playfair’s.

I hope that you had a safe journey home, and we would be delighted to welcome you back if you do make the journey from New Jersey to St Andrews again!

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I am here on business and went for the DB&B deal which looked decent value. This place has a quirky layout, which I like. The room is fine, not huge, but adequate.
The restaurant bar is excellent. Friendly knowledgeable staff and many of the dishes have interesting twists and were nicely presented and tasted superb, I have to say it surpassed my expectations. One to return to!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
GaryFoster, Reservations and Marketing Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Mark S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a kind review. I am delighted that you wished to share your thoughts on Tripadvisor. I will make sure to pass your comments on to the kitchen and restaurant staff also. We are quite proud of our new a la carte menu so it is great to hear that you enjoyed it too!

If you ever make the journey to St Andrews again, for business or for a holiday, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.

I hope that you have a safe trip home.

United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed recently for four nights on a golfing break. The room was clean and tidy and breakfast was good. Good location for the golf, however as previously mentioned by another reviewer it is expensive for what you get.

Stayed October 2013
ArdgowanHotel, Reservations and Marketing Manager at Ardgowan Hotel, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear Givey,

Thank you for the time you have taken to write your review.

I am sorry that you were disappointed and felt that your room was expensive. We certainly take your feedback on board for the benefit of our future guests, and if you would like to further discuss any aspect of your stay please feel free to contact me at the Ardgowan.

I hope that you enjoyed your golf and had a safe trip home.