“excellent fresh fish 'n chips”
Review of Cromars

Cromars
Ranked #18 of 150 Restaurants in St Andrews
Cuisines: Scottish, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Table for 6 inside - mixture of grilled and fried fish chosen - all enjoyed including additions of home made coleslaw and tartar sauce. Chips very tasty too. Followed up by various coffees and another homemade speciality tart. Service was prompt and efficient. Food fresh and well cooked. Pleasant background music. Will definitely return to sample something else off the menu. Loved the new décor. Bright, spacious loos. Many of the best fish and chips have a bit of a wait at peak times - Southwold, Troon but this is perfectly acceptable compared to pre cooked, piled high venues - more than worth any wait in my opinion!

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Have been to this chip shop on several occasions and never let's you down awesome fresh and crispy fish and chips it fantastic we now don't have to travel down to anstruther just for a decent chippy. I do agree the wait time is sometimes a little to long even if it's worth it I do think it's something they need to look at but none the less this will not put me off and I can't wait until my next visit soon

CromarsRestaurants, Manager at Cromars, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant and letting us deal with the issue at the time - it is very helpful for us when speaking with staff members to remind them that when mistakes happen it is still an opportunity to shine. We hope you will come and see us again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

4 of us sat inside, had fish and chicken. Everyone had clean plates. High quality, non greasy, tasty food with locally sourced options.

You can always set a place apart by how its staff deals with mistakes. They had missed out an order for one of us and even though the take away part was really busy got it out within 5 minutes once they realised their mistake and kindly never charged us, when it was definitely worth paying for and only really a small amount of time.

There was also a guy who was very kind at the end even though he was clearly on a break from working through the front (not to mention easy on the eyes too which always helps and is very unusual for a chippy). Overall a different class of fish and chips, Glasgow really needs somewhere more like this.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

It was likely over an hour but a table for 4 it was an awful wait.
Around 30+ minutes we got our drinks.
No apology.
No hint of time to wait.
Then I asked the waitress how long it would be, she went off to check, came back and carried on with her job not giving the answer.
An hour+ later we were about to pay for our drinks and walk out the door but sadly the meals were then ready.
The waitress served 3 of us our side order and the 4th person waited over 10 minutes.
We felt it shocking and tight fisted that they weigh the fish!!!
The food is good but NOT worth the wait.
The best part to show how tight fisted they are - the waitress came over and appologised for the time it took and offered a complimentary tartar sauce! I must admit it made me laugh.

N.B
We don't fault the waitress it's not her fault at all. Just very badly run.
I do find it interesting they store the cutlery in a syrup tin on the tables EXACTLY like Mitchells Deli in St. Andrews - I gave them the same review as this but worded different as did many many others.

Not the place to go if you're hungry unless you can handle the wait.
I for one won't be going back.

4  Thank IMM12197612
CromarsRestaurants, Manager at Cromars, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

We are so sorry your experience was not as expected. We have opened the seating area for our take-away customers but have yet to set it up as a functioning table service restaurant. We apologise for your experience and hope that you will give us an opportunity to rectify it - If you can come in again please make yourself known to Colin Cromar or Lewis our manager and they will look after you.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Colin Cromar has successfully transferred his skills learned years ago at Anstruther Fish Bar to his new restaurant in St Andrews. For the price of £6.50p for haddock and chips served on lovely crockery was superb, but added to this was the excellently cooked fayre made this meal truly unbeatable. The restaurant although small, was very clean, with very cheery staff. There is also a carry out part to the premises. There were 5 in my party who all enjoyed their excellent meals. Cost us less than £40 for our meals plus tea.
Will definitely return here again.
Well done Colin.