“Great hotel, great staff, good location”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed in October 2013 for two nights and thought the hotel was lovely. Very attentive staff and good check in/out processes made everything so easy, valet parking also! The room was spacious, spotlessly clean and had a great sea view, worth the extra. Dinner in the main restaurant was very good, with excellent service and lovely food, breakfast was similarly excellent with huge choice and a chef to cook eggs any way you like, although it was very busy one morning and, along with many others, we had to wait for 10 minutes to be seated. A little distance out of St Andrews but it is an easy drive into town. Would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wortonmiller

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed for overnight. Staff very helpful and friendly. Room was sea view and was a great size lovely bathroom. Had dinner in the Squire restaurant. Food was of good quality speed of service not the fastest I have had. Lovely touch with pianist. Breakfast was ample. Plenty of fresh fruit and yogurts. Croissants in oven...lovely. Cooked breakfast great choice and eggs cooked perfectly. One down side the disabled parking. Usually disabled parking is as close to the entrance you can get. At the Fairmont it is at the back of the hotel so if you do not have a wheelchair there is quite a long path to get into the hotel and reception is round the corner. My husband uses a mobility scooter but didn't really require it in the hotel which is very disabled friendly. On the walk out of the hotel to the car we spoke with an elderly gent who also commented on the long walk after parking. For able bodied this may seem close but for people with heart, chest or lung problems it seems to be a marathon. The valet service is at the front why not disabled parking? Would return to the Fairmont though, had a lovely stay with lovely staff and beautiful ambience.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is invaluable to us as we look to grow and improve our service.

I am delighted to hear that overall you enjoyed your time with us, enjoying your meal whilst listening to the pianist and that you found our staff to be so friendly and welcoming. I shall certainly share your kind words with the team.

I was sorry to read your comments with regards to the location of our disabled parking spaces. We do offer a complimentary valet parking service to our guests and are happy to park and collect cars at your convenience, avoiding such situations. I am sorry that you may not have been made aware of this service whilst you were here. I shall be sure to pass your comments onto the relevant teams to allow our guests a more comfortable stay.

Once again thank you for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

We attended the Courier Awards at this hotel the other week and a fantastic night was had. Great company, fantastic food and friendly and attentive service. It's a wee bit out of St Andrews but once you get there you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelBug1004
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My wife and I stayed in a Junior Suite for two nights and loved. Room service dinner and breakfast were excellent, while cocktails at the bar were great. The hotel was very quiet when we stayed, but we preferred that. Buffet breakfast was also excellent. We were also impressed by all staff who were very friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Andrew K

Congratulations on your recent marriage!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us so much and that we were able to help make your honeymoon so memorable!

We look forward to welcoming you both back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Spent two nights at the hotel on a DBB deal and was very impressed. Very friendly hotel, easy check in, valet car parking, beautiful large bedrooms and bathrooms with lovely toiletries and an abundance of towels and not a spec of dust to be seen. Our first room on the ground floor was not serviced when we arrived and when we returned to reception to advise them they quickly and politely got us another room on the 3rd floor. We were more than adequately recompensed for the mistake. We ate in Esparante on the first night and the food was excellent. Drinks are surprisingly reasonably priced. On our second night we ate at The Clubhouse. Again the food was excellent but the tables did not have tablecloths, your wine wasn't poured for you and I would think its a more suitable setting for lunch or a snack type meal. The night time views were excellent from there tho' and as it was a pleasant evening it was a nice short stroll back to the main part of the hotel. There are shuttle buses available to take you to The Clubhouse and also into town (hourly) and back again. I read reviews about breakfast being a nightmare but we had no problem at all. I would say the egg station is a bit of a fuss but that's more down to other guests than the hotel or it's staff. There are many beautiful little villages a short drive from the hotel, all worth a visit if you have time. We also used the spa which is beautiful but vastly over priced. All in all a fab hotel where every member of staff does everything theycan to make sure you enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheJimmyFamily

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to Fairmont St Andrews.

I shall be delighted to share you generous words with the team; I believe that it is down to their commitment and professionalism that allows our guests to receive such a warm and friendly welcome whilst staying with us.

I am so pleased that you managed to tour around the many beautiful villages that surround St Andrews, whilst finding time to relax in our Spa!

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Stayed her for a weekend with a friend. Dinner, bed, breakfast, 2 nights. Most of the staff were extremely helpful and friendly and were only too pleased to assist. Huge room with a lovely big bathroom, spotlessly clean and comfortable air conditioning, that we could adjust easily. Ate in the Esperante the first night, and the Clubhouse the second night. The meals on both nights were excellent, as was the service. Preferred the Esperante only because the restaurant was more tastefully decorated and formal. The Clubhouse is more casual and on the night we ate there there were more families with children, so it was a bit noisy and busy. I would eat there again but at lunchtime. The views were fabulous. I had read some of the reviews about the hotel before we went and was disappointed to hear about the disorganisation at breakfast, and of the queues. But in our experience there was no queuing, we were shown straight to a table. There is a fabulous choice of food, all self service, except for tea/coffee/toast which is served to your table. I would prefer the breakfast not to be self service only because the hot food doesn't keep hot in the turins it's kept in. The blueberry muffins were the best I've ever had. Overall we had a few minor hiccups i.e. the first room we had was not ready for us, clearly hadn't been serviced before we were given the key. This was rectified immediately, we were given another room and compensated for the inconvenience. I would recommend the Fairmont, it is 5 star luxury, and would go back again, if the same special offer is available. My friend and I had a manicure in the spa which we were very pleased with.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JaneR0ss
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I have just returned from a 2 night break and can't praise this hotel enough. I loved the room and it had amazing views over the sea and golf course. The room itself was spotless and I couldn't fault it in any way.

we were there for my boyfriends birthday and the hotel staff could not have done anymore for us. My boyfriend received a birthday card and a plate of chocolates decorated with happy birthday was left in the room for us.

Our room was not ready when we arrived although we did arrive early. We had a drink and lunch in the bar while we waited any by the time we went to get our key our bags had already been taken to our room for us. The concierge was fantastic and very helpful about the shuttle bus and places to visit in town.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and can't wait to book my next trip there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gayle76

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you and your boyfriend had such a fantastic time with us and we were able to help make his birthday special!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future