“Great hotel”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in St Andrews
Peterhead, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

One of our favourite hotels in Scotland, from the friendliness of the staff to the excellent rooms, it is so relaxing. The pool area is beautiful kept well although disappointed the sauna was out of order the whole time we were there
breakfast again was very nice with very attentive service
Definitely will stay again

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a reply on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us at Fairmont St Andrews.

It is disappointing that you were unable to enjoy the Sauna during your visit; I can confirm that this matter has since been rectified.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and we look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in 2014!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Good rooms, good food, great staff (sometimes they are little distracted to respond to you), lovely spot.

Alcohol is expensive in the main bar.

The main sports bar was closed but the facilities were open (?). So, you had to go to the bar (expensive, plenty of staff) and get a drink so you could sit in the sports bar

They are almost there. Almost.

Nice place to visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience with us at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you have an enjoyable time with us and that you found our staff and surrounding to be so welcoming.

Depending on the demand, we do close service in Rock & Spindle, creating a more welcoming atmosphere for guests in Kittocks Den, however to ensure we continue to offer the same facilities, we do also keep the Rock & Spindle open at such times.

Whilst I do believe that our prices are comparable to other five star hotels within the area, I shall certainly ask the relevant team to continuously monitor this.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Had a brilliant time -great hotel amazingly friendly staff, especially Tam thanks very much for everything. Breakfast and dinner both great, rooms lovely very spacious. Nice that shuttles into town provided. Would recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review following your visit to Fairmont St Andrews and for your generous words with regards to our staff. I shall look forward to passing this on to them, especially to Tam!

I am delighted that you enjoyed our surroundings and had such a wonderful time with us and that you found our rooms and breakfast to be everything you had anticipated!

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and we look forward to welcoming you all back to Fairmont St Andrews in 2014!
Airdrie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

My husband and I had a short break in this hotel and found the rooms to be clean, comfortable and stylishly tasteful. The breakfasts were fabulous, with everything we were expecting and more. The staff were excellent and although the hotel is very large, there are many places therein that give the feeling of intimacy as well as comfort.

Room Tip: We just booked a standard room and could find absolutely no fault with it or its level of comfort.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience whilst staying with us and post a reply on Trip Advisor.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations and you had such an enjoyable time with us!

It is without doubt thanks to our staff’s commitment and professionalism that we are able to offer our guests such an experience and I look forward to sharing your comments with them.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

As a hotel it is nice, as a 5 *hotel it is maybe just OK. The concierge and reception were friendly, pleasant and helpful; our room was a very good size, bathroom very also spacious. On entering the room I could seen drink stains on the glass sideboard top, ok things gets missed! I then noticed dust around the chrome base of the table lamp.

We were too late for the transfer bus, which leaves on the hour, so we took a taxi (£9) into St Andrews for the afternoon/evening. There are some lovely restaurants, bars and independent shops/boutiques in the town.

The breakfast in the hotel was very good, waiting staff attentive, clearing plates quickly, offering more tea, coffee and toast. The buffet breakfast selection was pretty good. My wife and I chose to have poaches eggs, so I went off to the “egg station” and orders 3 poached eggs, “3 poaches eggs” the cook exclaimed! I thought for a moment I was being quizzed by my father, who went through rationing during the 40s.

Is this the customer service of a 5* hotel or a Seaside B & B?

One other gripe while I’m at it, there were a number of guests wearing Onsies at breakfast, now I can understand the little kids wearing them, but adults - at breakfast – in a hotel??

My wife and I were on a “deal” and had paid a reasonable price for BB, I think if we’d paid full price I would have been pretty disappointed, but as a weekend away, with my wife and the location of St Andrews it was excellent.

If the hotel were to run a similar deal I would return, other than that I will try elsewhere next time in St Andrews.

After recently returning from 5* hotels in the Far East, I have to state this hotel falls pretty short of the mark as a 5 star experience, and can see why it is Trip advisor rated No. 6 in St Andrews hotels

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Colin_B58
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Trip Advisor page following your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I was sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations.

To allow us to look into your experience further, I would be grateful if you would contact us at the following address standrews.scotland@fairmont.com to ensure we are able to respond appropriately to the issues you have raised on this site.
West Linton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Having been a regular visitor since the hotel opened I was a bit wary of returning in light of some of the more recent reviews. Abs no worries this time as the staff excelled themselves in every department. From the brilliant front of house team (Dave, Kevin, Bob and Tam) to reception & bar & restaurant, every body went that extra mile to ensure our stay was a success. At no point over our three night break did we feel the hotel staff were under any pressure despite being fully booked on the Friday/Saturday....... they were cheery, smiling & unflappable!
Five Star.....In every department.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are an added bonus.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Your comments are very much appreciated and certainly motivating as we strive to ensure that our guests enjoy their time with us. I shall certainly look forward to passing on your complimentary comments to the team, especially to those you mention in person!

Thank you for your loyalty over the years we look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont Ss Andrews in 2014!

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and New Year
Perth, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

What a gorgeous hotel, in a lovely setting overlooking to town of St Andrews which is only ten minutes away from town in a complimentary shuttle bus (running hourly for the morning and afternoon - would have been nice to have it in the evening too right enough) or under £10 in a taxi. Lobby/atrium is lovely. Visiting when we did the huge Christmas tree was lovely to see. Staff very friendly and rooms (standard double) were spacious, well decorated and cosy. As a pervious reviewer had mentioned they do still charge for the Wifi which is just not expected these days.
The TV had terrible sound, but we were there to watch TV anyway. We went out to the bar in the evening thinking that we would spend the evening there, however, it was rather quiet to start with and the cocktail menu (although nice and exotic) didn't do any of the old favourites, so we decided to head into town for a few. Popped back to the bar again later that night and it was more lively. Not a real hot spot for night life though.

We didn't eat in any of the restaurants, but the all look lovely and I would very much like to try Esperante at some point in the future.

A comfortable sleep (brilliant blackout curtains...had no idea it was as late as it was when I woke up!) and a lovely bath and shower. Breakfast was lovely too, though more choices of bread would be nice (just my preference).

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to Fairmont St Andrews and for your kind words across all of our departments!

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time and I look forward to sharing you generous words with the team; I believe that it is down to their commitment and professionalism that allows our guests to receive such a warm and friendly welcome whilst staying with us.

Should you wish, you can enrol as a Fairmont President Club Member via our website. This is free and entitles you to various complimentary benefits throughout Fairmont, of which you can enjoy complimentary internet usage.

Should a guest wish to enjoy a cocktail that is not on the cocktail menu, we will always do our upmost to meet our guests request where possible. I shall certainly pass your additional comments on with regards to the ambience of Kittock Den on to the relevant colleagues.