“Few negatives on a special day”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Having decided to stay at the Fairmont overnight on a BBD package on my partners birthday, we came away disappointed with a few negative experiences.On arrival to our room we found required dusting in parts, there was lack of an iron, later we found we had lack of a hairdryer, reception were quick to rectify all points, but a poor show for a deluxe room at a 5 star resort, the website does say the menu for dinner is subject to change (not shrinkage) evening meal in the squire had a choice of four starters/mains/desserts, one main reason for staying was the evening menu, extremely disappointing, a supplement was paid for a steak main, eventually we had to ask for steak cutlery before the main course became cold, apologies again were given.Staff in the hotel are exceptional, with the hotel and grounds superb. Would we stay again? We did contact both Fairmont main website and St. Andrews, without response from either, again disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us at Fairmont St Andrews and likewise for your kind words with regards our staff along with our grounds and location; I shall certainly look forward to sharing this with the team.

I was disappointed to hear of your concerns in relation to your guestroom and our menus and for the impact that this had on you experience with us.

Our guests feedback is taken very seriously and to allow us to carry out a full investigation we do speak to all colleagues involved to ensure the accuracy in the response and allow us to take the appropriate actions. Within a hotel, many of the staff do work shifts and sadly can therefore lead to a short delay in a response.

I do believe that following an email that you send directly to Fairmont St Andrews your concerns were investigated and a reply has since been sent to you and the appropriate measures have been put in place to avoid any further disappointment in the future.

We very much hope to welcome you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future to demonstrate the levels of service that we wish our guest to experience.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Staff service first class, room very spacious and comfortable end of......meals mediocre served in a large,draughty barn-like structure. Bar prices excessive, however service from staff excellent. Won't be rushing back.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that locks. Problem with swipe card. Housekeeping made one attempt to remedy the...
1  Thank Delighted39

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Trip Advisor page following your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I was sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

To allow us to look into your experience further, I would be grateful if you would contact us at the following address standrews.scotland@fairmont.com to ensure we are able to respond appropriately to the issues you have raised on this site.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

This is a nice hotel for a luxury break close to St Andrews. It's modern, spacious and with lovely rooms. It is also spotless in fact probably one of the cleanest hotel I've stayed in. However it has a problem, a problem that is echoed in many of the reviews on here and that's customer service and communication. We nearly stayed here for Christmas but I got so fed up with the service I was receiving trying to book christmas dinner we cancelled and went else where, however we thought we'd give it another try for my birthday but experienced the same online communication issues. We made it though and were pleasantly surprised with the reception and door staff and therefore thinking our first impression might have been wrong.... However we then experienced what I can only say is the slowest service ever in the Kittocks Den (so much so we ended up with free drinks and a short night from being so fed up) and a unorganised shambles the next morning for breakfast. So why am I typing this message, mostly just to say, stay here but don't take any bookings or orders as a certain if you think you should have heard or had your food/drink by now then ask! Bad service is seriously letting down this hotel, it won't ruin your stay but like us it will make people think twice about returning.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Trip Advisor page following your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I was sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

This was our first time staying at the Fairmont in St Andrews and we had a very nice time and enjoyed our stay. It's in a really nice location with good views. The room we stayed in was nice and clean. The staff were good however slightly slow with the drinks orders, The food was lovely had dinner in the Squire restaurant. The breakfast was very good with a great selection.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and likewise that you enjoyed your evening meal in the Squire along with the wide variety that we offer at breakfast. I shall certainly look forward to passing your kind words on to the team.

It is disappointing that you found the service for drinks to be slow; I shall certainly follow this up with the relevant team to ensure that this is addressed and the appropriate measures are put in place to prevent such issues arising in the future.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future

Reviewed 12 January 2014

This was my first stay at the Fairmont in St Andrews and I did have a very nice time and enjoyed my stay. It's in a really nice location with good views. I would prefer to give this hotel a 3.5 mark as I thought it was better than average.

The room I stayed in was excellent - a good size and nicely furnished.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful; however, I found the service to be somewhat slow.

I visited the Kittocks Den bar 3 times and thought the staff were not attentive enough and service was very slow. The food; however (I ate lunch there one day) was excellent and I liked the atmosphere in general.

The restaurant, the Squire, provided good value at £25 for 3 courses. I was pleased with the menu and the quality of the food. The service was good and staff were attentive.

Breakfast was delicious with a really great selection. Again; here, I thought that the service was a bit slow (e.g. to clear tables and take tea/coffee orders). I had to ask for tea to be provided as no one came to take a tea/coffee order.

I visited the spa during my stay for spa treatments and I was very pleased with the spa - the staff were excellent and the facilities very good.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise_Bennet, Pa to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

I was delighted to hear that overall you enjoyed your with us and thank you for your kind words. I do believe that much of your experience is thanks to our professional and dedicated team and I shall look forward to sharing your kind words.

Likewise I was pleased that you enjoyed your Lunch in Kittocks Den and your breakfast in the Squire; it was however disappointing to learn this was let down by the speed of service. I shall certainly raise this with the relevant teams to ensure that that the appropriate measures are in place.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

First time stay at this hotel. All staff so welcoming. Room ready even though we arrived early.Bedroom very spacious with everything for a comfortable stay. Room and en suite immaculately clean in keeping with a five star hotel. All staff so friendly and interested in all we were doing.The fine dining Esperante restaurant was expensive but meal and presentation definitely had the WOW factor.Great breakfast choices also.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience whilst staying with us and post a review on Trip Advisor.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful time with us and that you left with such a positive impression!

The entire team will be thrilled with your comments; especially those in Experante and on Breakfast in the Squire and I shall look forward to sharing your kind words with them all as it is without doubt thanks to our staff’s commitment and professionalism that we are able to offer our guests such an fantastic experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future!

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Firstly we have stayed at the Fairmont a few times in the past pre joining trip advisor and these visits have always been five star so when we fancied a couple of nights away we thought we would come back. Firstly the concierge greeted us and offered to take our bags and even remembered us from previous visits which was great. Check in was speedy and friendly and we were in a room on the 1st floor which was ideal for my pregnant wife! The room itself was a good size but disappointingly was not as clean as we would expect. There were cobwebs complete with spider in one of the lamps, and every surface above eye level had a thick layer of dust on it (some of the picture frames cant have been dusted on top for months to get the thickness of dust that there was) The air outlet in the bathroom had a ring of dust around it too. We chose the Fairmont on this occasion as we wanted to quite literally relax for a couple of days after a hectic festive period and it is the last break we will have before our baby arrives so we were both looking forward to experiencing the super comfy beds that we have enjoyed on our previous visits! Unfortunately our bed was a good few customers past its shelf life, the mattress topper or memory foam had been worn into a ridge and it essentially felt like you were sleeping in a very uncomfortable hammock!! Couple this with the inability to change the room temperature (there was a control panel but it refused to change the temp up or down, I did overhear other customers complaining that the temperature didn't change too) meant two nights of poor sleep as when we arrived the room was on the cold side but at night when trying to sleep it was too hot! Not quite the relaxation we were hoping for there!!
We opted to have the dinner, bed and breakfast deal that they have on their website and have to say our two dinners were fantastic, everything cooked to perfection and brought in a timely fashion. Bizarrely though we could never get the dinner time that we wanted we were told both times we could eat either fifteen minutes before or after our preferred time of 2000hrs despite the restaurant only having two or three other tables in!! Breakfast on the other hand is a bit of a disappointment, the first morning we sampled all the cooked items and found most of them inedible, the pancakes could be bounced off the plate, the bacon was hard and fatty and the sausages tasted like they were poor quality whilst the scrambled eggs were rubbery. The second day was a bit better as we utilised the cooking station to get some freshly made poached eggs which were good. If I was to return I would definitely eat at night but would probably not have the breakfast again, which is a shame as being a five star hotel you would expect an excellent breakfast. I have to say though that the breakfast staff were welcoming and friendly. We also used the pool which was very nice and relaxing. Other irritations are the wifi or lack thereof without paying although I understand you can join their presidents club to get free wifi, most places do this for free now so surely the Fairmont should follow. In other five star hotels we have stayed in there has been an automatic turndown service but unfortunately here you have to actually ask them for it which is a bit poor. Also we were a bit disappointed not to be told on check in that the clubhouse was closed during the week as we were wanting to grab a snack down there and would have gone on Sunday if we had known, so we ended up not having lunch on the Monday! Upon checking out I was all set to explain some of the issues we had but unfortunately we were not asked how our stay was, so unfortunately our issues were unresolved. The Fairmont is one of my favourite hotels and I really hope this is a one off and not a sign of things to come.

Room Tip: We have stayed in rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor in the past and never had a problem, it seems the 1...
1  Thank Dundee1979