“Lost its shine”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Fairmont has been my favourite hotel in Scotland for some time now and we've stayed several times over the last few years, so it was the obvious choice to take my wife's parents to celebrate their golden wedding anniversary. Although we enjoyed our stay we definitely felt that the hotel has lost its shine with a few small but noticeable things that made us feel that way.

Interestingly another reviewer mentions that they were offered a complementary glass of Prosecco on arrival as they were celebrating an anniversary. We had hoped for a token acknowledgement for the golden anniversary but unfortunately this didn't happen which made us feel that the hotel lacks the personal touch that would make it truly 5 star. For example on a recent stay in Gleneagles we received a personal letter from the manager welcoming us back to the hotel. Small thing but very effective.

Another reviewer also mentions having to top-up his own wine at dinner. This was also our experience and definitely not 5 star. Dinner was initially very rushed and it felt like there was a lack of staff albeit everyone who served us was very friendly and professional. However, at the end, there was confusion over the bill. All 3 of our rooms were on the same DBB package but this was not noted in the system and my wife therefore had to go to reception to sort it out when she should have been enjoying an after-dinner coffee while a member of staff sorted it. I must point out that the meal was very good and everyone enjoyed theirs.

The live music in the Atrium is a welcome addition and we enjoyed a couple of drinks there after dinner. That was where we had our last "niggle" when the drinks were wrong (a whiskey was brought instead of an amaretto). We also had Port served to us in a whiskey glass with what appeared to be a 25ml measure at best. I'd expect a trained barman to know which glass to use, or a trained waiter to recognise the error when uplifting the drinks. To the waiter's credit he did apologise and rectify the issue right away.

As ever, our room was excellent and comfortable. I still believe that the Fairmont breakfast is the best you will get anywhere in terms of variety and quality.

Overall we did have a great time, and I would recommend the Fairmont to others, but the minor niggles left us feeling it wasn't as good as previous visits. We had booked with an offer from Itison and we wondered if the service levels go down when such offers are on as we have noticed this in other hotels when staying with an offer.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Trip Advisor page following your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I was sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

To allow us to look into your experience further, I would be grateful if you would contact us at the following address standrews.scotland@fairmont.com to ensure we are able to respond appropriately to the issues you have raised on this site.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,500)

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Have stayed many many times at this hotel since it was opened in 2001. It was previously called St Andrews Bay hotel and owned by Don Panos. The hotel is still a lovely place and has been kept looking great and bedrooms re furnished etc. It really is still a class hotel but definately lost the wee things that used to make it 5 starr. I would still give it 4.5 now. It may sound pandantic but its just noticible as I have stayed many times previously. Things like handing you your napkin on sittng down for a meal, topping up your galss from the bottle of wine. I suppose it sounds silly but it is just because that used to be done that you notice when its not. Only a couple of wee things that were a bit disappointing, the first being at the pool, there was a party of 4 adults and 2 teenagers who were really spoiling the peace of the pool area. They were very loud jumping about everywhere and throughing a ball all over the shop which spoiled it for the remaining people. No attendant present to let him know what was happening. It was a bit like a 2 starr pool in Spain, not a 5 starr pool in St Andrews.The other small point was my final bill was not correct. On checking it was confirmed I was on a B&B and Dinner package and our info with our room keys stated the same. At the dining room it was confirmed once more that Dinner was included in our package, but final biil charged us for dinner. This was a mistake and was sorted out quickly so really no prob, but still a 5 starr hotel should make sure the bill is correct.That said a lovely time was had. We had great value for the cost of the package as it was an Itison promotion, but would certainly not have paid the full price of approx £240.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed time with us, however was disappointed to read that you felt we had ‘lost a tiny bit of polish’ over the years.

Our guests feedback is invaluable to us and I shall certainly address your comments with the relevant teams allowing them to consider your comments and review/adapt where possible.

Likewise it is disappointing to learn of your experience upon check-out; this is most unfortunate and whist this is not a regular experience of our guests, I shall address this to ensure that the correct training is provided to prevent this from reoccurring in the future.

In the meantime may I thank you for your loyalty to Fairmont St Andrews; we very much look forward to welcoming you back to soon!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

My partner and I stayed here for our anniversary/30th birthday on Saturday 1st February on a DBB package and were very impressed with the hotel. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left the service was truly first class!

When we checked in we were greeted with 2 glasses of chilled prosecco - compliments of the hotel to celebrate our anniverary (a wonderful touch which was greatly appreciated). The room was spacious, beautifully decorated and absolutely spotless! The spa facilities were lovely - although could possibly do with a bit more seating. We ate in the Squire restaurant on the Saturday night, which was very busy but the service was fantastic - as was the food! The live pianist really added to the ambiance. We then enjoyed a drink in the lounge where there was more live music, which again was great.

Breakfast the next morning was delicious. Hats off to the chef at the egg counter - he was rushed off his feet and yet no one had to wait more than a few minutes. Again, the service was very good. Our waiter could not have been more attentive in bringing us fresh tea/coffee and toast. While my partner slept off his massive breakfast before checking out I enjoyed a bloody mary in Kittocks Den which was one of the best I've ever tasted!

A few very minor niggles - disappointing not to get free wifi in a 5* hotel and it would be nice to have free bottled water in the room. Other that that my only other complaint is that I didn't get to stay longer to experience all that the Fairmont has to offer.

We will definitely be back! Thank you for a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

I am thrilled that you had such a memorable time with us whilst celebrating your 30th Birthday and Anniversary and that you left with such a positive impression and I shall certainly enjoy sharing your feedback with the team!

I thought that you may be interested to know for any future visits that should you wish, you can sign up to the Fairmont Presidents Club via our website that entitles you to various complimentary benefits throughout Fairmont, including complimentary internet usage.

Thank you for your observations with regards to the seating in the Spa and complementary bottled water, I shall certainly pass these onto the relevant teams to review and consider.

In the meantime, we look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Although I was here for business, I've since visited the resort for leisure too.

The Fairmont at St Andrews has a great relaxed atmosphere for the level of hotel it is and I enjoyed the level of service and the clubhouse facilities at both lunch and dinner. The golf is good too, although will need to return in better weather.

I'll certainly return to the St Andrews Bay Resort in spring/summer this year.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

I am delighted that after visiting us on business you chose to return for a more leisurely experience and that you enjoyed your time with us once again!

We shall certainly look forward to welcoming you back, keeping our fingers crossed that the weather fairer, allowing you to enjoy a few holes on Kittocks or Torrance!

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Just spent a lovely weekend in the luxury of this hotel. From the lovely welcome at the door to checkout on the last day the staff were warm and friendly. The room was spacious , comfortable and spotlessly clean. Great facilities in the spa and gym. We ate in the lounge bar both nights and food was good . There was entertainment in the Atrium on both nights of our stay which was a nice touch. I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a little bit of luxury on a dreary winter weekend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and found our staff, hotel and surroundings to be so enjoyable! I shall certainly look forward to passing on your kind words onto the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the not too far future!

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed here a few times but decided to go away and stay here for Christmas this time. As ever the door staff just make you happy as soon as you arrive. Its always a pleasure to see Davie at the door to give you a warm welcome. Check in was a breeze and the room was big, clean and had a great view. Breakfast was a buffet and was excellent. Spa was great. Overall we had another great stay and will be back again in the very near future.

Room Tip: A room with a sea view is always nice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank craighannah76

I was delighted to hear that yet again you had a wonderful time with us and that you will be back again!

Thank you so much for your kind words; it is without a doubt thanks to our staff’s professionalism and dedication that our guests are able to enjoy such a welcoming and friendly experience and I shall look forward to sharing your feedback with them (especially Davie)!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 1 February 2014

This was my first visit to the Fairmont Hotel and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Check in was very quick even although a number of guests all arrived at the same time. The room allocated was very clean and a good size with a comfortable bed. We had dinner in the Squires restaurant which was pleasant, a pianist playing and then live music in the adjacent Atrium until 11pm. This made for a good atmosphere both during and after the meal. The service was good with all staff pleasant and mannerly and my only adverse comment would be that the cheeseboard was okay but not particularly large whilst the Brie was too cold.

The breakfast the following day was a very good selection of cereals, meats, cheese, fish etc. but as the hot food is buffet style I felt some of it was not as good as I expected. An example is the potato scone and pancakes had been sitting too long but maybe I was just unfortunate at the time I attended. However, a chef is present to cook eggs and omelettes fresh to your taste and the waitresses supplied endless tea and coffee. The service in clearing used plates was excellent and again all staff were pleasant.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and while my criticisms are minor, I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kengolf12

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us whilst soaking up the ambience of the live music!

I shall look forward to passing on you kind words onto the team; we very much look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrew in the future.