“Perfect - I'll be back!”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect - I'll be back!”
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

The Fairmont at St Andrews exceeded all my expectations. From the lovely and friendly staff to the incredible breakfast and beautiful bedrooms - it was perfect.

We were visiting with a large party for an important birthday and the hotel staff went above and beyond to make sure everybody had a fantastic time.

The bathroom was particularly luxurious - a huge bath tub, gorgeous products, underfloor heating and soft fluffy towels and robes.

I can't wait for my next trip to The Fairmont St Andrews!

• Stayed March 2014
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you had such a fantastic time with us and we exceeded your expectations, allowing you to enjoy the special birthday celebrations with your friends!

It so important to us that we do everything possible for our guests, ensuring their time with us is so memorable; I am delighted that we have demonstrated this to you and your friends on this occasion. I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned from an overnight stay at this hotel. We were given an Itison voucher as a gift for our 30th birthdays.

We arrived on a beautiful sunny day. The drive up to the hotel was gorgeous with a spectacular view of the sea.

We parked the car and headed in with our bags and our wee dog, Benji.

Check in was quick and easy. The receptionist was very pleasant and arranged some glasses of fizz for us as we were celebrating birthdays.

Our bags were taken from us and we made our way to our room. We stayed in a deluxe sea view room which was just lovely. A good size, great view and a spacious bathroom with separate bath and shower. Our bags were brought up after about 10 minutes.

We chilled out in the room until our dinner reservation at 7.45 so I can't comment on any of the facilities but the hotel was lovely and we were very happy with our room.

We ate dinner at Squire restaurant. I'd say the food was nice, but not the best I've ever had. Our starters were brought out very quickly so not freshly prepared. I had the pate which was very cold and obviously just out of the fridge. It was nice though, nevertheless. We both had filet steaks - perfectly cooked (medium rare) but I'd say it was quite fatty for a fillet. Again, not the best I've ever eaten, but it was fine.

We then headed across to one of the bars for an Amaretto Sour (off menu). It was delicious!

We had a reasonably early night and enjoyed a wonderful night's sleep in our comfy bed!

The next morning - after walking our dog round the grounds again - we headed for a quick breakfast before we left. Breakfast was as expected - continental selection, hot buffet, egg station, etc. We enjoyed it. And even took some scrambled egg back to the room
For our dog! The waitress did say this was ok though.

Check out was quick and easy - we just had to sign a slip that was delivered to our room, and post it along with the room keys on the way out.

All in all - the service was excellent, the hotel very nice and we would have loved to stay another night. The three of us thoroughly enjoyed our stay and can't wait to go back. And we definitely will.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that had such a wonderful time with us and that you left with such a fond memories and a positive impression. It is very encouraging and certainly motivating to receive such feedback as we strive towards exceeding our guests expectations.

I believe that it is thanks to our staff’s commitment and professionalism that we can offer our guests such a warm and welcoming service along with a memorable experience. I will certainly look forward to sharing your feedback with them.

We are very proud that much of our produce is locally sourced and delivered daily. All our dishes are prepared to order, however I shall certainly pass on your observations to Chef.

We very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future and maybe even for a little longer!
Grantown On spey Scotland
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Another great stay at this hotel. Had a junior suite 2002. Great views and superb room. Price of drinks in bar pretty high. Pint of lager and glass of white wine £14.60.

Breakfast excellent and the leisure facilities are superb. Had a great relaxation massage.

Pity they just have never managed to get the evening restaurant right and when we stayed unfortunately the golf club building was closed as it's a great place for a drink ect.

We will back again this year for sure.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the sea. Worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time with us whilst celebrating your 60th Birthday. I believe that it is with thanks to our staffs professionalism and dedication that assist our guests to having such an enjoyable time with us and I shall certainly look forward to passing on your kind words.

Depending on the season, our restaurant and bar operating opening hours do vary and are available on our website. It would be usual practice to inform our guests at the time of booking and I am sorry if this was not demonstrated on this occasion.

We do as a matter of course monitor our prices to ensure that they are in line with other five star establishments within the area; however I will certainly pass your comments onto the relevant team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

So I feel the need to write a review after my husband wrote one previously & the response from management was less than adequate!
Our mini moon stay at the hotel certainly did not exceed expectations. I was looking forward to this for a long time, but after we arrived we soon realised that because we booked during the week - we got the hard end of the deal! There were NO other restaurants open apart from Squire at night. During the day there was only Kittocks offering bar snacks. The Clubhouse was shut also so that wasn't an option to us. It's such a shame as I feel like this place could have been such a better experience! Despite booking to stay on a Monday & Tuesday night (following our wedding) I don't think that should have affected what was available to us. We were still paying a lot of money - a bit unfair don't you think?
The staff were lovely especially the young Irish guy who does the room service! Very professional.
However I think we will be booking the Old Course next time..

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DLY25
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

It is most unfortunate that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion; I do believe your husband has been in contact with our General Manger with regards to your experience and has since received a reply.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

What a fantastic hotel! The property is beautiful and nicely situated a short distance from St Andrews. The staff are incredibly friendly and welcoming and the service was flawless. They run a shuttle service in to the town hourly and are extremely helpful regarding information on thing to do in the local area. The breakfast was of a considerable high standard especially for a buffet. Extremely impressed and look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Falkland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Looked forward to going to this "posh" hotel. Got dressed up and made the mistake of arriving early for check in and the bigger mistake of taking a walk down to the shore (in the wind and after much rain!) unfortunately I slipped down a bank and deposited myself in a muddy bog. I was covered in mud head to toe
After debating whether we should just go home my husband went to see if I could sneak in unobtrusively through a back entrance or suchlike. In short..No! But kilted Davie soothed my pride by telling me that they have muddy golfers all the time. I was escorted to the big roaring fire and a leather seat so that the mud wouldn't be a problem while I warmed up. Husband did the check in and eventually the refuge of the beautiful bathroom was sought. the bedroom was lovely too.

I would also mention that we had Bonnie, our border collie with us. She was made most welcome too and was provided with a bed and food bowls. Big leisure resort and a good ambience in the evening with live entertainment. Bar prices were a bit stiff.

Room Tip: I would think they are all good!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

This is the second time I have visited the fairmont the last time was two years ago. The staff were friendly and the room was spotless what let it down was the view which was of a plastic roof also when we went down for our evening meal there was only one place to eat( the most expensive) all the other bars and restaurants were closed so no choice!! Even though the book of information in your room said the bar would be serving food there was no one there :( The breakfast though was as lovely as the last visit.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at The Fairmont St Andrews on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted that you found our staff to be so friendly and your room to be so comfortable. I shall look forward to passing on your kind words to the team. It was however disappointing to hear that your guestroom on this occasion was not to your expectations. I am sorry.

Likewise, I was sorry to hear of your disappointment with regards to the availability of the restaurants as our restaurant opening times are highlighted on our website.

Due to the demand over the past couple of winters we chose to offer our guests a light brunch in the Clubhouse restaurant during the daytime (Friday to Sunday) and close during the evenings.

On a Sundays many of our guests enjoy ‘Roast on the Coast’ in the Clubhouse at lunchtime and Squire is open for evening meals seven days a week. We also have Kittocks Den offering a more relaxed ‘bar meal’ which is open 7 days a week, serving all day. Depending on the demand our Sports bar, Rock and Spindle is also available for guests to enjoy a light bite.

Esperante was our other dining outlet, which during winter months was open on a Thursday to Sunday during the winter months. This is currently closed for refurbishment as we are very excited to be opening La Cucina on 14th March. This will offer our guests some truly amazing ‘flavours from Italy’ during the evenings seven days a week!

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont St Andrews in the future