“Not up to scratch for a five star hotel”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in St Andrews
“Not up to scratch for a five star hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

We were really looking forward to returning to St Andrews and this was the first time we had stayed at the Fairmont, having met at an event at the Fairmont many years earlier, whilst students at the University.

Hotel and grounds: The hotel is a 10 minute drive to St Andrews, but definitely not walkable. There is a hotel Shuttle for visitors, and although we did not use this, I would imagine that it would be slightly awkward for guests to coordinate their timetable with the Shuttle times (I'm also not sure if there is a timetable for guests for the times, nor whether the Shuttle operates in the evening). The one huge downside to the extensive grounds is that the hotel car park is quite a distance from the reception doors - not everyone will want to use the valet parking option! It must be said that the front-of-house staff were faultless and very welcoming, and a real credit to the hotel.

The room: On arrival to our room, however, the temperature was set too cold, due to over-zealous air conditioning. There was a 'Nespresso' machine, however four pods with the machine, which were unlabelled, and which Reception were unable to tell if caffeinated or decaffeinated. The lack of complimentary wi-fi anywhere in the hotel was also disappointing in this day and age.

Facilities: We were disappointed that although there were robes in the bathroom, there were no slippers, to go down to the spa in. We had to ask for these to be brought up. In addition, there were very very tiny bottles of shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion, which were only suitable for a single person, not two people. The water pressure in the shower was truly appalling, despite the presence of an 'override' button - something that I think the hotel really needs to work on.

Spa: It was slightly disconcerting that there wasn't anyone to welcome us at the reception desk at the spa, and that anyone could have walked in to use the facilities/ products in the area. The jacuzzi is on a 10 minutes on/ 10 minutes off timer, which is not ideal for anyone wishing to stay in longer than 10 minutes, or wanting to control the bubbles themselves. In addition, the steam room was out of order when we were visiting - something that I always enjoy using, so this was disappointing. The pool was a bit chaotic - there were a few people doing lengths, but no lanes marked off for this. There are dedicated child-friendly 'Splash times', which are good for families, as well as those who want to avoid children.

Summary: This is an impressive hotel but one that I don't think quite reflects its five star rating. There is the opportunity to provide feedback on your stay, which I have filled in, however the majority of the survey focuses on Fairmont as a brand and there is little opportunity to provide 'free text' answers. I have requested a reply from the hotel regarding the little niggles we had during our stay, and I hope to hear back from them.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Trip Advisor page following your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I was sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

To allow us to look into your experience further, I would be grateful if you would contact us at the following address standrews.scotland@fairmont.com to ensure we are able to respond appropriately to the issues you have raised on this site.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Overall I was very unimpressed with our recent stay, it was the first time my wife and I had taken our young kids to the hotel and following our stay I would be unlikely to return.

During our stay we encountered numerous issues, from arriving 15mins before check-in at 3pm and not getting into our room until 4:15pm. Along with the fact we have young children with one at 18 months, amusing them for 90mins can be very difficult. We had promised to take the kids swimming but due to the delay, by the time we could go to the swimming pool there was a wait time of 30mins, therefore not getting into the pool until 4:50pm after arriving at 2:45pm and being constantly told to wait is very poor service.

I don’t believe the staff did anything to help and other issues were not dealt with during our stay… memorable for all the wrong reasons. I thought that we would benefit from a cot for my youngest daughter, after speaking with the front desk in person they said they would look into it. After coming back to the room in the evening there was no cot and no message to at least apologise is lacking of any service standards.

When I called to book dinner reservations I had asked if there was a kids menu however this only extended to a ‘make your own pizza’. All deserts were charged at around £7 and in the end they didn’t eat even half as the portions were too big.

I’ve stayed at the hotel numerous times after our recent visit; I will likely use the Old Course from now on as the alternative 5 star accommodation when visiting the city.

1 Thank Scott M

Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Great location and views and very courteous and helpful staff. But it could be so much better with some tender loving care and warmer finishes. And I really do resent paying for internet in this day and age when one is already paying a handsome price per night.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 6 May 2014

I am so pleased that overall you had a lovely time with us and you found our staff to be so friendly and welcoming and I shall look forward to sharing your kind words with them.

I was however sorry that you felt the hotel was looking tired; whilst we do continuously refresh the decor throughout the hotel, I shall certainly pass your comments onto the relevant colleagues.

Thank you for your comments in relation to the Wi-fi service we offer; for any future visits should you wish, you can sign up to the Fairmont Presidents Club via our website that entitles you to various complimentary benefits throughout Fairmont, including complimentary internet usage.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed in April with Freinds on a golfing trip the Hotel was outstanding and the staff were amazing going above and beyond what I would have expected to ensure we enjoyed and made the most of our stay. If you are looking for a hotel in the area then look no further. You will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Many thanks for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us at The Fairmont St Andrews.

I was delighted to read your review reflecting so kindly on us and that you and your friends had such and enjoyable time whilst on your golfing trip – where else could be better to do this other that St Andrews, The Home of Golf....

It is without doubt thanks to our staff’s commitment and professionalism that we are able to offer our guests such a friendly and welcoming experience and I look forward to sharing your feedback them.

We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Fairmont St Andrews for another memorable stay!
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

What a wonderful weekend, the staff were amazing and the hotel is beautiful, excellent facilities, great children's play room with free table tennis, air hockey, connect four etc, the hotel also put on movies and Easter activities were great, we had breakfast included and this was super - felt completely full until late afternoon. St Andrews is only a short drive or the hotel offer an complimentary bus service which runs hourly at this time of year ! Wonderful stay !

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

I am delighted to hear that you and your family had such a wonderful time with us over Easter and you enjoyed many of our facilities, leaving with such a positive impression! I shall look forward to sharing your kind words with the team as I so believe that it is with thanks to their commitment and dedication that helps our guests to feel so welcome.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We came for an overninght spa Sunday/Monday and had an excellent time. The location is restful and picturesque just outside St Andrews with golf courses to look out on and sea. The valet parking and welcome on arrival is very cheering and you are instantly a welcome guest. We had fab treatments by lovely therapists. Our room was spacious including a very decent bathroom with sep shower. Our dinner and breakfast were also great. The fillet steak was cooked perfectly to ea person's requirements. All the staff throughout the hotel are very attentive including housekeeping. Would definately come again.
I do agree with another writer regarding the atrium it is a very big space but I guess if they run conferences this is maybe needed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us hear of your recent visit to Fairmont St Andrews and for your kind words. I am delighted to hear that you had such a relaxing time and you were able to enjoy everything about your experience with us.

It imperative to us that we do everything possible to ensure our guests have such a memorable experience with us, from the friendliness of our staff to the accommodation and setting. It is so encouraging to have such feedback and I shall look forward to passing your kind words onto the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Sevenoaks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is a fabulous hotel run but polite, helpful and enthusiastic staff. The facilities are superb and if you like golf you don't even have to go into St Andrews to be able to enjoy links golf of the highest quality. Everyone at the resort was extremely friendly. If you only have a few days, the sort of help provided by the staff to help you find your way around the area is invaluable.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful time with us and you left with such a positive impression! I shall look forward to sharing your kind words with the team as I truly believe that it is with thanks to their commitment and dedication that our guests are made to feel so welcome.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.