“Average”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in St Andrews
“Average”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed on the May Day Holiday weekend & the hotel is in a beautiful setting, it's clean enough and the staff were helpful/friendly.

However, there's a few minor gripes:

We were staying in a suite and we had to pay for the Wi-Fi......I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for business last week and got free Wi-Fi!!

The food in Kittocks Den was nice, however we ordered room service for our toddler before going out, and got a very bland fishcake and some potato & leek soup which was a bland grey water i.e. no visible signs of veg. Room service adds a £3 delivery charge and a 15% "service charge" which brought the bill to £19 for a small fishcake and watery soup. Not good value.

The Clubhouse is touted as "cliff top setting with magnificent views over the bay of St Andrews" which turns "formal" dining in the evening. Yes, the setting is fantastic but at the end of the day it is just a clubhouse with a gastro pub menu, the prices did reflect this though but if there was a menu available online I doubt we would have went there.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am so pleased that overall you enjoyed your time with us. I do believe that it is with thanks to our staffs commitment and professionalism that allows our guests to feel so welcome and I shall certainly look forward to passing on your kind words to the team.

With regards to your comments relating to Wi-Fi, should you wish, you can sign up to the Fairmont Presidents Club on our website which entitles you to various complimentary benefits, including complimentary internet usage.

May I thank you for your additional observations it is disappointing that we did not meet with your expectations in all areas. I shall certainly pass this on to the relevant colleagues and ask them to take your comments into consideration when making any changes.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My other half and I booked a very last minute break to the hotel in St Andrews - I was due to start a new job and fancied a weekend away before I started. Having booked 2 nights over a weekend, we headed down. We had booked a Fairmont King room and it was beautiful - big bed, nice bathroom and a well presented room. However, on closer inspection, I was disappointed to see plenty of dust on the bedside lamps, desk and the TV. After laying down on the bed, the pillows were quite hard and not very comfortable. Unperturbed, we headed out for dinner into St Andrews - the courtesy bus from the hotel into the town is a nice touch. After dinner, we headed to the bar in the hotel for a couple of drinks. The bar staff were great - polit and helpful. The pint of Heineken I ordered was a little 'eggy' but you often find this in hotel where the beer taps are perhaps not used often. After a difficult sleep (due to the uncomfy pillows), we went for breakfast. It was OK - not great but not awful. The bacon and sausages were extremely greasy, the eggs undercooked and we weren't offered any toast. The fruit was good though. The milk for coffee/tea was also off, and we had to have it replaced after it poured lumpy. We had a massage in the afternoon in the spa which was great and we headed for the pool after. I appreciate its a pool for use by all guests but perhaps calling it 'part of the spa' is a bit of an exaggeration as it was anything but relaxed. There were at least 8 kids in the pool, chucking balls at each other. We went for dinner at the Clubhouse at night which was nothing short of spectacular. The food was fantastic and the views at amazing. We soon retired to the main bar and although there was a wedding going on in the function room, you wouldn't have known - something which other hotels sometimes fail to do. After another relatively sleepless night, we went for breakfast which was an exact carbon copy of the first morning - grease, off milk and no toast - a real shame. All in all, the Fairmont is set in a spectacular location, with lovely rooms and the Clubhouse is a credit to the hotel. The more intrinsic details are however not up to scratch for the price.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark S
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am so pleased that overall you had a lovely time with us and you found our staff and room to be to be so welcoming and that you had such a wonderful experience in The Clubhouse. I shall look forward to sharing your kind words with the team.

We set high standards and expect guests to receive our best standards at all times and I concerned with regards to your experience at breakfast. I shall certainly ask that this is followed up by the relevant colleagues.

May I thank you for your additional comments; these are most helpful as we look to continuously look at ways to improve our guests experience with us.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future where we shall demonstrate to you our usual high level of service.
Jarrow
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Friendly warm welcome from the tartan clad door supervisors. All staff were exceptional. Seek out the Clubhouse Restaurant. Best of all The Kingdom of Fife Suite was an experience in itself. Loved it!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful time with us over Easter and found our staff to be so friendly whilst you soaked up the breathtaking views from The Clubhouse and enjoyed your experience in the luxurious Kingdom of Fife suite! I shall look forward to sharing your kind words with the team as I truly believe that it is with thanks to their commitment and dedication that helps our guests to enjoy their time with us.
England
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Spend one night here checking in was smooth and professional. The room was nicely decorated, furthermore it was enormous with 2 double beds and a massive bathroom. We visited the spa where the treatment rooms look good but the pool area was dated and full of children, not relaxing to sit and lounge around. The main disappointment was dinner there was a lack of choice only Italian - which we went for, which as fine but nothing special or a bar meal. They display their 2 aa rosette plates on proud display in the foyer but the restaurant was not open, for a 5 star hotel this is not good enough I'm afraid and they are daft as we would have spent more money. However breakfast was excellent with lots of choice for everyone. Overall I would try another well known hotel in St. Andrews first before returning.

Stayed May 2014
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 6 May 2014

It is most disappointing to learn that we didn’t meet your expectations on this occasion;

Splash times do run throughout the holiday seasons when the volume of children increases dramatically, however I shall certainly pass on your comments from this weekend to the relevant Director to review.

Our new Italian restaurant La Cucina is open featuring fresh produce and offering a wide variety of antipasti, salads, pizza, pasta, main courses and desserts and is of a more casual dining experience. The Clubhouse is also open and is set on the cliff top with magnificent views over the bay of St Andrews. This features the golfers favorites during the day and changes setting to a more formal one for dinner where the menu is tailored around local produce available according to the season. In addition to these Kittocks Den and Rock and Spindle are open for service throughout the day.

May I thank you for your complementary comments; I am pleased that you found your room to be so spacious and comfortable and likewise that you enjoyed our breakfast banquet.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Booked through amazon local but ended up buying 3 vouchers. Originally booked golf voucher for Christmas present but then shortly after vouchers for spa day and overnight stay came up.

We paid the surcharge and stayed on the last Saturday in March, the men played golf on the Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it even though the weather wasn't good and we went to the spa.

1st class spa stunning, very clean and staff were very friendly wouldn't say it was the best massage I have ever had but was relaxing.

Our rooms were very luxurious and clean with a lovely view over the golf course.

Breakfast was huge with loads to choose from had something for everyone.

In all great service friendly staff lovely hotel will return

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank linsey770910

I am delighted to hear that you all had such a wonderful time with us, whether it was on the golf course or in the Spa and you left with such a positive impression! I shall look forward to sharing your kind words with the team as I truly believe that it is with thanks to their commitment and dedication that helps our guests to feel so welcome.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We were really looking forward to returning to St Andrews and this was the first time we had stayed at the Fairmont, having met at an event at the Fairmont many years earlier, whilst students at the University.

Hotel and grounds: The hotel is a 10 minute drive to St Andrews, but definitely not walkable. There is a hotel Shuttle for visitors, and although we did not use this, I would imagine that it would be slightly awkward for guests to coordinate their timetable with the Shuttle times (I'm also not sure if there is a timetable for guests for the times, nor whether the Shuttle operates in the evening). The one huge downside to the extensive grounds is that the hotel car park is quite a distance from the reception doors - not everyone will want to use the valet parking option! It must be said that the front-of-house staff were faultless and very welcoming, and a real credit to the hotel.

The room: On arrival to our room, however, the temperature was set too cold, due to over-zealous air conditioning. There was a 'Nespresso' machine, however four pods with the machine, which were unlabelled, and which Reception were unable to tell if caffeinated or decaffeinated. The lack of complimentary wi-fi anywhere in the hotel was also disappointing in this day and age.

Facilities: We were disappointed that although there were robes in the bathroom, there were no slippers, to go down to the spa in. We had to ask for these to be brought up. In addition, there were very very tiny bottles of shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion, which were only suitable for a single person, not two people. The water pressure in the shower was truly appalling, despite the presence of an 'override' button - something that I think the hotel really needs to work on.

Spa: It was slightly disconcerting that there wasn't anyone to welcome us at the reception desk at the spa, and that anyone could have walked in to use the facilities/ products in the area. The jacuzzi is on a 10 minutes on/ 10 minutes off timer, which is not ideal for anyone wishing to stay in longer than 10 minutes, or wanting to control the bubbles themselves. In addition, the steam room was out of order when we were visiting - something that I always enjoy using, so this was disappointing. The pool was a bit chaotic - there were a few people doing lengths, but no lanes marked off for this. There are dedicated child-friendly 'Splash times', which are good for families, as well as those who want to avoid children.

Summary: This is an impressive hotel but one that I don't think quite reflects its five star rating. There is the opportunity to provide feedback on your stay, which I have filled in, however the majority of the survey focuses on Fairmont as a brand and there is little opportunity to provide 'free text' answers. I have requested a reply from the hotel regarding the little niggles we had during our stay, and I hope to hear back from them.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Trip Advisor page following your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I was sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

To allow us to look into your experience further, I would be grateful if you would contact us at the following address standrews.scotland@fairmont.com to ensure we are able to respond appropriately to the issues you have raised on this site.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Overall I was very unimpressed with our recent stay, it was the first time my wife and I had taken our young kids to the hotel and following our stay I would be unlikely to return.

During our stay we encountered numerous issues, from arriving 15mins before check-in at 3pm and not getting into our room until 4:15pm. Along with the fact we have young children with one at 18 months, amusing them for 90mins can be very difficult. We had promised to take the kids swimming but due to the delay, by the time we could go to the swimming pool there was a wait time of 30mins, therefore not getting into the pool until 4:50pm after arriving at 2:45pm and being constantly told to wait is very poor service.

I don’t believe the staff did anything to help and other issues were not dealt with during our stay… memorable for all the wrong reasons. I thought that we would benefit from a cot for my youngest daughter, after speaking with the front desk in person they said they would look into it. After coming back to the room in the evening there was no cot and no message to at least apologise is lacking of any service standards.

When I called to book dinner reservations I had asked if there was a kids menu however this only extended to a ‘make your own pizza’. All deserts were charged at around £7 and in the end they didn’t eat even half as the portions were too big.

I’ve stayed at the hotel numerous times after our recent visit; I will likely use the Old Course from now on as the alternative 5 star accommodation when visiting the city.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family