“Viva la View!”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 8 May 2014

And it was a spectacular view of St.Andrew's and the sea from our hotel. In the evening we dined at a restaurant nearby which is ran and owned by the hotel and once fog obstructed the view, we felt like we were atop of a mountain nestled on a fluffy cloud. In a standard sized room we had to pay for the Wi-Fi which in today’s time and age is simply odd. Even some remote bed and breakfast places in Laddakh in India offer it free of charge let alone the crown of St. Andrew’s. I could not resist the feeling that things were simply average in this hotel, service and facilities except for breakfast, which offered a wonderful array of local specialities, the best Scottish salmon, breads and all.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I was thrilled that you found the views and settings from the Clubhouse to be so breathtaking and enjoyed your meal. We are proud that much of our produce is sourced locally and I am pleased that likewise that you enjoyed your experience at breakfast. I shall look forward to sharing your kind words with the team.

May I thank you for your additional comments; these are most helpful as we look to continuously look at ways to improve our guests experience with us.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

From the minute we walked in we felt special. All staff couldn't have been anymore friendly and helpful. We had a suite which was a home away from home with lovely views of the golf course. The food in all restaurants was amazing, breakfast was especially nice.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time with us and enjoyed everything from the friendliness of our team to our beautiful surroundings and luxurious suites! Likewise, I am delighted that you in enjoyed your culinary experience and I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed on the May Day Holiday weekend & the hotel is in a beautiful setting, it's clean enough and the staff were helpful/friendly.

However, there's a few minor gripes:

We were staying in a suite and we had to pay for the Wi-Fi......I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for business last week and got free Wi-Fi!!

The food in Kittocks Den was nice, however we ordered room service for our toddler before going out, and got a very bland fishcake and some potato & leek soup which was a bland grey water i.e. no visible signs of veg. Room service adds a £3 delivery charge and a 15% "service charge" which brought the bill to £19 for a small fishcake and watery soup. Not good value.

The Clubhouse is touted as "cliff top setting with magnificent views over the bay of St Andrews" which turns "formal" dining in the evening. Yes, the setting is fantastic but at the end of the day it is just a clubhouse with a gastro pub menu, the prices did reflect this though but if there was a menu available online I doubt we would have went there.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am so pleased that overall you enjoyed your time with us. I do believe that it is with thanks to our staffs commitment and professionalism that allows our guests to feel so welcome and I shall certainly look forward to passing on your kind words to the team.

With regards to your comments relating to Wi-Fi, should you wish, you can sign up to the Fairmont Presidents Club on our website which entitles you to various complimentary benefits, including complimentary internet usage.

May I thank you for your additional observations it is disappointing that we did not meet with your expectations in all areas. I shall certainly pass this on to the relevant colleagues and ask them to take your comments into consideration when making any changes.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

My other half and I booked a very last minute break to the hotel in St Andrews - I was due to start a new job and fancied a weekend away before I started. Having booked 2 nights over a weekend, we headed down. We had booked a Fairmont King room and it was beautiful - big bed, nice bathroom and a well presented room. However, on closer inspection, I was disappointed to see plenty of dust on the bedside lamps, desk and the TV. After laying down on the bed, the pillows were quite hard and not very comfortable. Unperturbed, we headed out for dinner into St Andrews - the courtesy bus from the hotel into the town is a nice touch. After dinner, we headed to the bar in the hotel for a couple of drinks. The bar staff were great - polit and helpful. The pint of Heineken I ordered was a little 'eggy' but you often find this in hotel where the beer taps are perhaps not used often. After a difficult sleep (due to the uncomfy pillows), we went for breakfast. It was OK - not great but not awful. The bacon and sausages were extremely greasy, the eggs undercooked and we weren't offered any toast. The fruit was good though. The milk for coffee/tea was also off, and we had to have it replaced after it poured lumpy. We had a massage in the afternoon in the spa which was great and we headed for the pool after. I appreciate its a pool for use by all guests but perhaps calling it 'part of the spa' is a bit of an exaggeration as it was anything but relaxed. There were at least 8 kids in the pool, chucking balls at each other. We went for dinner at the Clubhouse at night which was nothing short of spectacular. The food was fantastic and the views at amazing. We soon retired to the main bar and although there was a wedding going on in the function room, you wouldn't have known - something which other hotels sometimes fail to do. After another relatively sleepless night, we went for breakfast which was an exact carbon copy of the first morning - grease, off milk and no toast - a real shame. All in all, the Fairmont is set in a spectacular location, with lovely rooms and the Clubhouse is a credit to the hotel. The more intrinsic details are however not up to scratch for the price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark S

I am so pleased that overall you had a lovely time with us and you found our staff and room to be to be so welcoming and that you had such a wonderful experience in The Clubhouse. I shall look forward to sharing your kind words with the team.

We set high standards and expect guests to receive our best standards at all times and I concerned with regards to your experience at breakfast. I shall certainly ask that this is followed up by the relevant colleagues.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future where we shall demonstrate to you our usual high level of service.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Friendly warm welcome from the tartan clad door supervisors. All staff were exceptional. Seek out the Clubhouse Restaurant. Best of all The Kingdom of Fife Suite was an experience in itself. Loved it!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful time with us over Easter and found our staff to be so friendly whilst you soaked up the breathtaking views from The Clubhouse and enjoyed your experience in the luxurious Kingdom of Fife suite! I shall look forward to sharing your kind words with the team as I truly believe that it is with thanks to their commitment and dedication that helps our guests to enjoy their time with us.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Spend one night here checking in was smooth and professional. The room was nicely decorated, furthermore it was enormous with 2 double beds and a massive bathroom. We visited the spa where the treatment rooms look good but the pool area was dated and full of children, not relaxing to sit and lounge around. The main disappointment was dinner there was a lack of choice only Italian - which we went for, which as fine but nothing special or a bar meal. They display their 2 aa rosette plates on proud display in the foyer but the restaurant was not open, for a 5 star hotel this is not good enough I'm afraid and they are daft as we would have spent more money. However breakfast was excellent with lots of choice for everyone. Overall I would try another well known hotel in St. Andrews first before returning.

Stayed: May 2014
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

It is most disappointing to learn that we didn’t meet your expectations on this occasion;

Splash times do run throughout the holiday seasons when the volume of children increases dramatically, however I shall certainly pass on your comments from this weekend to the relevant Director to review.

Our new Italian restaurant La Cucina is open featuring fresh produce and offering a wide variety of antipasti, salads, pizza, pasta, main courses and desserts and is of a more casual dining experience. The Clubhouse is also open and is set on the cliff top with magnificent views over the bay of St Andrews. This features the golfers favorites during the day and changes setting to a more formal one for dinner where the menu is tailored around local produce available according to the season. In addition to these Kittocks Den and Rock and Spindle are open for service throughout the day.

May I thank you for your complementary comments; I am pleased that you found your room to be so spacious and comfortable and likewise that you enjoyed our breakfast banquet.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Booked through amazon local but ended up buying 3 vouchers. Originally booked golf voucher for Christmas present but then shortly after vouchers for spa day and overnight stay came up.

We paid the surcharge and stayed on the last Saturday in March, the men played golf on the Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it even though the weather wasn't good and we went to the spa.

1st class spa stunning, very clean and staff were very friendly wouldn't say it was the best massage I have ever had but was relaxing.

Our rooms were very luxurious and clean with a lovely view over the golf course.

Breakfast was huge with loads to choose from had something for everyone.

In all great service friendly staff lovely hotel will return

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank linsey770910

I am delighted to hear that you all had such a wonderful time with us, whether it was on the golf course or in the Spa and you left with such a positive impression! I shall look forward to sharing your kind words with the team as I truly believe that it is with thanks to their commitment and dedication that helps our guests to feel so welcome.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.