“Very Poor Indeed”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in St Andrews
Stirling
“Very Poor Indeed”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Following a period of illness, my wife treated me to what was supposed to be a relaxing 5 star luxury night away in a 5 star hotel. Little did we know just how wrong our hopes and wishes for this stay were going to be.

Firstly we booked into the hotel which looked stunning. The staff were very helpful and polite and shortly thereafter we decided to use the spa facilities.

As we were resident, you simply slip into your swimwear, put on the complimentary white bath robe and then walk to the spa area. There were two pure white quality bath robes hanging up in our bathroom so my wife took one and I took the other.

On opening mine up to put on, I was absolutely disgusted to find a large BROWN stain on the inside of my robe at the back which was clearly body matter. This was dealt with quickly by housekeeping.

That night we booked into the La Cucina restaurant within the hotel. After ordering our starter we waited around 20 minutes for it to arrive. After consuming the starter, our table was cleared and so began the wait for our main meal. 20 minutes past with no sign, 40 minutes past with still no sign and unbelievably an hour passed with no sign. Other residents were complaining and threatening to walk out. Just after that my three tubes of cannelloni arrived which didn't take long to eat. Needless to say, our deserts arrived very quickly but unfortunately my wife, who loves her deserts, had to leave her Panna Cotta as it tasted as though the cream had turned.

Having had enough, I went to reception to voice my concerns. My concerns were duly noted and apologies were aplenty. We were offered a complimentary drink and were informed that a manager would speak with us in the morning.

I accepted the offer of the drink and so my wife had a cocktail and I a pint of lager.

In the morning, looking forward to a longer lie, I was enraged to be woken up by a barking dog in the adjoining room. This went on constantly for over half an hour before I phoned reception again.

On leaving our room to go for breakfast, there was an envelope lying on the floor outside our room which turned out to be our express checkout information. You will understand my anger as I scrutinised the bill to find our complimentary drinks of £14 for the previous evening had been added to the bill.

This really was the icing on the cake so to speak. We cleared our room and then went to check out. I again voiced my concerns re our stay and was able to speak with one of the managers. He was very sympathetic and initially taken back with the bath robe issue.

We were eventually offered a 20% discount off our £260 one night stay which we initially accepted. With time to reflect, I contacted the hotel and intimated that this simply wasn't acceptable to which they offered a further 30% discount meaning a total discount of 50%.

I emailed back stating that it would have been our preference to have been invited back to the hotel for a complimentary stay on the same basis as we had booked in order that they could demonstrate exactly what they say they provide but this was declined.

Sadly, in light of this decision, the only review I can offer any future guests of this hotel is a frank but very honest and accurate account of our stay at the Fairmont, St. Andrews which was nothing other than disgraceful.

I appreciate that a financial gesture was made by the hotel however our stay was spoiled and the money refunded certainly wouldn't buy me and my wife another night in a 5 star hotel so we have definitely lost out due to the incompetency of the hotel and it's staff during our stay.

This review is not intended to discredit the Farmont Hotels and Resort group but is a truly accurate review and is provided as information for other people so they they are aware of my experience and to help them make informative decisions in relation to their wish to reside at the Fairmont Hotel, St. Andrews.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank K13RAC
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us at The Fairmont St Andrews on Trip Advisor.

Our guests feedback is invaluable to us and it is disappointing to read of the isolated and unfortunate experiences that you encountered whist you were with us and I am sorry for the impact that this had on your overall stay.

Following the email that you sent directly to the hotel, I can confirm that your experience was fully investigated and by way of apology the compensation was offered following our findings; I am sorry that you feel this did not meet with your expectation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel isn't in the centre of St Andrews, but that really doesn't matter, thanks to the shuttle bus to town and back. The staff are genuinely friendly and we had a great chat with the concierge. Without fail, each Fairmont employee we met was charming,

The hotel itself is lovely, with a number of places to drink and eat. The rooms are spacious and the bathroom in our room had a corner bath and separate shower - more than enough room in which to completely relax.

We got the last shuttle us at 6pm into town, had drinks and dinner in St Andrews, and got a taxi back to the hotel (about £8) before having a couple of drinks in the bar. Breakfast next morning was a huge buffet - the only slight niggle was that we couldn't catch anyone's attention to get tea or coffee, but we got there in the end, and the variety of food on offer was second to none.

It's clear that Fairmont take customer service seriously (despite the tiny breakfast hitch) and we have already recommended this hotel to several friends as a result.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable time with us and that you found our staff to be so welcoming and friendly!

My apologies for the hitch you mention at breakfast, your feedback is most helpful and I shall follow this up with the relevant Manager to ensure that this becomes a focus within the breakfasting team moving forward.

Thank you also for sharing your experience with your friends; this is most kind of you. We look forward to welcoming you and maybe some of your friends to Fairmont St Andrews in the future!
Fochabers, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The Fairmont in St Andrews provided an excellent all round relaxing experience to enjoy a special birthday with my daughter and my Mum. The staff were so welcoming and friendly - we will be back again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank KPJ54
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

I was so pleased to hear that you, your Mother and your daughter all enjoyed your time with us whilst celebrating a special birthday with us and may I thank you for your kind words. It without a doubt thanks to our staffs high level of dedication and professionalism and I shall certainly look forward to passing your kind words onto the team..

We very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Yes, the Fairmont is Huge and in an excellent spot. The staff are also great, but 5*, never!
It is in need of a total makeover. The room was a bit grubby and certainly had not seen a duster in a while, and the bathroom had discoloration around the bottom of the shower. Just not what you would ever expect from 5*. There is paper peeling off walls all over the hotel, as I said, just looks tired and a bit tatty. Food: The Italian was average but certainly nothing special, and breakfast although lots of it, was mostly cold. The lighting in the bar, is so dark that you could barely see who you were sitting next to, and I felt sorry for people who had chosed to eat there, as they really could not see what they were eating! The whole experience was one that we would not want to experience again. I felt the place lives on a reputation of how things used to be there and not how they are now.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

It is most disappointing to read your review and I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is most helpful to us as we continuously look to improve our guests experience and I shall certainly address your comments up with the relevant Directors.

Whilst thanking you for highlighting areas of concern, may I thank you for your compliments with regards to our surroundings and our Staff.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.
Altrincham
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Great hotel. Very helpful staff. We arrived before noon for a wedding in the area and were able to check in even though we were three hours too early. Lovely room and great breakfast. Would thoroughly recommend it if you are interested in golf or a luxury hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

I am delighted that you had a wonderful time with us and although you arrived prior to our guaranteed check-in time, on this occasion we were able to offer you an early check in allowing you to get ready for the wedding. I do hope you had a lovely time!

We look forward to welcoming you to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.
Wishaw, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Arrived at 14.30 hours , room should have been ready for15.00 hours entry (which I thought a tad late) we finally got to our room at 16.00 hours and only then by enquiring when and having to say that we were not happy with the delay. They did offer a free drink while waiting but as we were only there for the one night and tired from the journey it did take the shine off the visit. Our luggage was not in our room and after a small wait we had to phone reception to have it delivered. We planned to dine in the hotel so we opened the guest book to find the menus from the couple of dining option but to our surprise the book had no local information and was a generic list of facilities in the hotel group,the binder was tatty and pages were loose and torn from the ring binder. We asked reception how to access the menus we were told to go and visit each to see ourselves . As one of

the dining places was out with the hotel we just decided by this time to eat at one of the two bars but alas only one was opened , however the food was very good . I am afraid we were disappointed and will not revisit in the near future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vmod

We expect our guests to receive our best standards at all times and I am truly sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is most helpful as we continuously look to enhance our guests experience and I shall certainly follow your comments up with the relevant Directors.

Pitlochry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We returned to this hotel with our three kids... it was lovely. Food was amazing,swimming pool spot on and we could not leave without Scotty, the newly homed terrier in the room.Staff was excellent! Will be back soon!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

I am delighted to hear that you along with your family enjoyed your time with us and Scotty has a new home!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.