“Great Hotel!”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Charleston, West Virginia
“Great Hotel!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My son and I stayed at the Fairmont while on a golf trip. It is a fantastic place! Very nice rooms, several excellent dining options and great service by all the staff. The breakfast buffet was very good and the restaurant at the golf clubhouse has fantastic views to create a great dining experience. We didn't use the spa, but it appeared to be first class. It is a few miles from the town, but they provide a shuttle service, if needed. This was our second visit and would definitely return, if I am able to return to St. Andrews.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip advisor following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you and your son had such an enjoyable time with us and that you got some quality time together whilst enjoying our various facilities and soaking up a magnificent views from our Clubhouse. I am guessing a few rounds of golf were involved whilse you were here and I hope that you enjoyed these too!

Thank you for your loyalty; we very much look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
Scotland
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is a lovely hotel which will ensure you have the best stay you can. Perfect for visiting St. Andrews, and obviously perfect if you are a golfer. Definitely worth a visit for any kind of trip with family or friends.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future!
Arvada, Colorado
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Excellent location and golf courses are great too! Nice restaurants and bar areas to relax in. Friendly staff all the way around. Would recommend to others for sure, thanks everyone for a pleasant stay!

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable time and I will look forward to sharing your kind words with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I really don't understand two of the recent reviews that are so negative but guess everyone can have an off-day.
My second stay here (same time last year) and both were excellent. Every member of staff that we met were courteous and friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. The guys at front of house provided the valet parking and the FREE wifi worked throughout the hotel. We didn't try either restaurant so cannot comment but breakfast is fresh with extensive choice. Bar service can be a bit slow when it is busy but not bad.
It is a beautiful location and until six in the evening their is a regular free shuttle bus to the club-house and to and from St Andrews centre. For me is the THE place to stay if visiting St Andrews and certainly much better than that other famous golf hotel in the town where the staff didn't seem so well looked after which reflects in their manner.

Room Tip: Sign up for the Fairmont Presidents Club before you arrive as this guarantees wifi and is flagged up...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for posting such a positive review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to the Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that once again you had such a wonderful time with us; it’s just a shame it was only for one night! Your comments are so encouraging and motivating and it is without a doubt thanks to our staff’s commitment and professionalism that we can offer our guests such a warm and welcoming service and I look forward to sharing your feedback with the team.

I am pleased that you have joined our Fairmont Presidents Club and that you are enjoying the loyalty scheme along with the complimentary benefits that it includes.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews for another enjoyable stay in the future!
Belton
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel was a touch of class on a much anticipated trip for my me and my wife. It's beautiful grounds and setting is second only to the extremely helpful and friendly staff. We loved every minute of our stay and hope to be able to repeat this experience someday.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Fairmont St Andrews.

I was so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience and may I thank you for your generous words. It without a doubt thanks to our staffs high level of dedication and professionalism and I shall certainly look forward to passing your kind words onto the team;

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.
Strachur
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Spent one night as a family at this hotel. While it was alright, I don't consider it a 5* experience. Check in was fine, staff polite and informative. Our room on the ground floor has all we required although it had not had a thorough clean in a long while. Thick dust on top of bed side table lamps, felt tip pens from previous guests under the bed, dirt gathering in sink overflow holes. The beds were comfortable and room service brought fresh milk for tea very promptly. Would have expected free Wi-Fi though.
The building is quite utilitarian, at breakfast I felt like we were in an airport or new school rather than a hotel. Breakfast had lots of choice, but again, cleanliness was an issue. Chairs marked, carpets stained, lots of scuff marks on bases of buffet tables and dirty cutlery.

We went for a swim in the pool, which was large and warm. Changing rooms were well equipped, with great showers that had good quality shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion. The pool area itself again was a little basic in design and décor.

We had dinner in the Club House. Staff were very nice, service attentive without being overbearing and the views over St Andrews and the sea were lovely, especially in the evening sunshine. We all had sirloin steaks, which were cooked well, but the peppercorn sauce accompanying mine was completely flavourless. Deserts however were outstanding, they had a nice wine list and the meal was fairly priced.

On checkout the receptionist asked if we enjoyed our stay, I said it was fine but there was some house keeping issues that could be improved upon. She seemed genuinely concerned about this, noting what I had reported and apologising if this had resulted in any disappointment.

Would not rush back, but we did enjoy our night and it was half the price of the other two hotels in St Andrews that I had enquired about.

1 Thank TassTog
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

It is most disappointing to read your review and I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is most helpful to us as we continuously look to improve our guests experience and I shall certainly discuss your comments with the relevant colleagues.

Whilst I thank you for highlighting areas of improvement, may I also thank you for your complementary observations with regards to the rest of your experience.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.
Brighton
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Staff were blunt and ambivalent in the hotel which was a slightly dated conference centre style building. No valet parking or wifi included. Staff in club house were great but food was average. Beautiful location but certainly not a five star hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

It is most disappointing to read your review and I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is most helpful to us as we continuously look to improve our guests experience and I shall follow your comments up with the relevant colleagues.