“Idyllic stay”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in St Andrews
Villanova, Pennsylvania
“Idyllic stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Our stay last week was one of our best hotel experiences ever. The property and its setting on the bay is spectacular, and its open spaces and windows give an airy feeling. We had a lovely room too. Best of all was the attention and genuine kindness of the staff to make our stay memorable. Kenny,in particular, went well beyond any expectation to make arrangements both within and outside the hotel. Also from the concierge team, Mauireen,Munim and Davie were great, and so was Charlene with transportation. At the front desk, Kayleigh could not have been nicer or more helpful. We enjoyed the Kittocks bar and had an excellent meal with a bay view at The Clubhouse with gracious service by Martin. We look forward to returning someday.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank Ticket to Fly G...
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time and found our colleagues so be so helpful and courteous. We strive to meet our guests expectations allowing their stay to be so memorable and it is very encouraging and motivating to receive such feedback. I believe that it is thanks to our staff’s commitment and professionalism that we can offer our guests such a warm and welcoming service, and I shall look forward to sharing your generous words with them.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful experience in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
Brighton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We wanted a relaxing spa weekend recently and chose Fairmont partly because of the location and partly because of the reviews.
I wheeled my bag and my boyfriends bag through the doors as he parked the car, although the staff smiled at me it would have been nice to have a hand! At check in the service was ok, from here. We could see the atrium, Italian restaurant and 'pub' as if we were in a huge American mall or theme park, it was very strange an impersonal, like the service.
The room was lovely and I couldn't fault it, huge with views across the beautiful course.
The spa was a let down, with a jacuzzi that operates 10 minutes on then 10 minutes off - and was full of kids so we only stayed half an hour or so.
We walked down to the club house for dinner where the staff were absolutely lovely, much warmer and more friendly. The food was ok, the gnocchi was nice but the medium rare steak that we ordered came cooked through, I'd call it we'll done - a faux pas indeed for a 5* establishment.
Breakfast was nice though served in the impersonal atrium - the coffee was awful though!
I still can't get over the fact that you have to pay for wifi but all in all it was ok. I would not have known I was in a luxury hotel once I'd left my room though.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 11978LM
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

It is most disappointing to read your review and I am sorry that we let you down on this occasion. Your feedback is most helpful to us as we continuously look to enhance our guests experience and I shall certainly discuss your comments with the relevant colleagues.

Whilst I thank you for highlighting areas of improvement, may I also thank you for your complementary comments with regards to your guest room and your our colleagues at The Clubhouse.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.
Brightlingsea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Just returned from a 4-day business trip to St Andrews.

All staff very pleasant, welcoming and helpful, especially concierge team with Davie (former Royal Engineer) a very charismatic character.

Event team were very helpful and Neil Ballingall, the golf courses superintendent, could not have been more accommodating.

Rooms as you would expect with a hotel of this class were excellent and cghoice at breakfasy overwhelming.

As an event venue, 10 out of 10.

Room Tip: Rooms on east and north sides have a view of St Andrews bay
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us whilst on business and you found everything to be so perfect! I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team; especially with those you mention in person!

Thank you once again for your encouraging and motivating words; whether it be for another conference or for a more leisurely experience with us we certainly hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future!
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Have been staying at this hotel at least 4-5 times per year ever since it opened - started visiting well before the current owners Fairmont took it over. I have also been a member of the Fairmont Presidents Club for many years - since they took over the hotel. Most of my visits over the years have been prompted by special prices / offers e-mailed to me as a member of the Presidents Club - but recently (last year or two) very few President Club offers come up for St Andrews Bay and when they do they usually offer the 3rd or 4th night free (even then the offers are hardly ever available to actually book). Not much use if you can only manage a weekend or a night away.Whatever happened to the reduced rate one night or weekend offers for President Club members at this hotel. Prices have certainly rocketed in the last year or so - all in all not making it as price competitive for a short weekened break as it once was. Love the hotel, great staff - but better weekend rates can be obtained elsewhere - which is a pity as this would always be my first choice.

Room Tip: Join the Presidents Club - it is free. This at least gives you free internet access.Ask for room at...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for posting a review on Trip advisor with regards to your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted to learn that you always have a wonderful time and that you find the level of service is of the same quality. I strongly believe that it is with thanks to our staff that our guests enjoy such a warm and welcoming experience, leaving on such a positive note.

To build up your Fairmont Presidents Club (FPC) membership, your loyalty category it is based on the amount of stays per calendar year at any Fairmont. As like many companies, we do have various promotions that run throughout the year. These too can be enjoyed by everyone, including FPC members. As a FPC member, you can benefit from staying on the promotional rate and in addition receive your rewards to enhance your loyalty category.

In addition to this Fairmont Presidents Club will also run promotional rates exclusively for its members and they feature on the newsletter sent to each member sent via email. These rates are subject to availability with a specific booking window and are offered on stays within a wide range of our properties.

May I thank you for your loyalty over the years and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed in the fairmont hotel on Thursday 29th may, the room I have to say was amazing, 2double beds , booked a double, but more than enough room, great bathroom and the bed was so comfortable , had a really good sleep. The breakfast ,well what can I say, overall fabulous, such a wide choice of fruit juices, cereals , breads, rolls, cakes. Hot plate all buffet style with an omelette station too. Would definitely return as the service was impeccable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to right a review following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews!

I was thrilled to read your review and so pleased that you found your room to be so spacious and comfortable and the breakfast to be so enjoyable and plentiful!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is where we stayed in St. Andrews, Scotland May 27-29/2014. It's beautiful; I would stay there again; I would recommend it & it's the resort hotel that the famous St. Andrews University Fashion Show took place when Kate Middleton (now the Duchess of Cambridge) wore the 2-piece see-thru dress that first caught HRH Prince William of Wales eye at Uni.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Jill L
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a reply on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable time wth us and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.
Dennyloanhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Beautiful hotel, stunning views. First time at this hotel. Had Afternoon Tea there for Aunt's birthday. Cannot fault the service from the staff. Very pleasant and polite. However, even although the Afternoon Tea was lovely, I've had better elsewhere and cheaper. Could've done with some more sandwiches. Afterwards we sat in the Atrium area which was also lovely. Surprisingly, however, the light shades on the lights between the seated areas were in need of complete replacement. They were very cheap and papery looking as some were burst and you could see the dead flies inside. Not what you would expect to see in a hotel of this calibre.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JacquelineH28
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience with us.

I am delighted that you and your Aunt enjoyed your Afternoon Tea and found the service to be faultless. I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team!

I was however disappointed and sorry to read your comments with regards to the condition of the lights in the Atrium. I shall certainly ask that this is addressed immediately.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andres in the future