“Luxury at St. Andrews” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in St Andrews
San Francisco, California
“Luxury at St. Andrews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is the place to stay while in St. Andrews. A short 5 minute ride from town. Incredible facilities with excellent service. The staff goes out of their way to make sure you are happy. I'll be back next time I am in St. Andrews.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted to learn that you had such a wonderful time with us and you found our staff to be so friendly and helpful. I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews next time you are visiting!.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Collierville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was not my first choice in St Andrews and I did not know what to expect. The site is lovely with a seaside view. Our room was fine and the staff were very nice aside from the bar staff who seemed to pointedly ignore me. The shuttle to take guests to town is a nice touch, but I still needed a taxi for after 5 pm.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience with us.

I am so pleased that overall you enjoyed your experience with us and found our setting and staff to be so welcoming. , I was however sorry to read your comments with regards to your experience in our bar. Whilst it would be uncommon for a guest to experience this, I shall certainly follow this up with the relevant Director to address.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed here with my partner last week as what I considered a treat.
The hotel itself is very nice, clean and the staff which I came across were very attentive.
A number of things let the hotel down though - small things but important all the less as attention to detail is important.
A few things to note:
The desk phone was not working, no tone therefore couldn't directly dial any services. There were other basic phones i.e. in the bathroom and by the bed which you could dial 0 on but to get directed. I would hope that this was a check that room services would do.
We had requested a double room however the matresses had not been zipped together, I could feel the zips on the outsides of the bed so they weren't on the right way - this resulted in a big gap in the middle of the bed which didn't make for the best night's sleep. Again attention to detail and taking the time to do a proper job.
The phone trilled (not properly rang) 3 times in the morning we were due to leave - this was annoying. I'm not sure why - there was no answer phone message, I can't help wondering if it was a hint to leave....
The belt loop on my robe was hanging off - perhaps damaged by a previous guest but could have been easily mended, another check that housekeeping should do?
There was no corkscrew available in the mini bar, and the card said more coffee and tea were available in the beverage centre but no more pods for coffee machine were present.
I ordered room service and this took a very long time to come however the waiter was very apologetic and gave me a complimentary glass of wine to make up for it. That was appreciated.
The cocktail bar was closed at night but the pub bar was open and busy with attentive staff. I didn't have breakfast so cannot comment on that.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

We strive to deliver unrivalled levels of guest comfort with particular emphasis on attention to detail and I am sorry that we have not met your expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is most helpful to us as we continuously look to enhance our guests experience and I shall certainly discuss your comments with the relevant colleagues.

Whilst I thank you for highlighting areas of improvement, may I also thank you for your complementary comments with regards to the rest of your experience with us
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Fairmont Hotel does not have a top class bar or restaurant and without these could never be genuinely considered a five star hotel. Out of 1224 reviews on Trip Advisor so far, 596 (49%) rated the hotel as excellent with the remaining 628 (51%) rating the hotel as very good, average, poor or terrible. If fewer than half my guests rated my hotel less than excellent when as a five star hotel I should be striving for excellence in all areas then as a hotelier I would not be happy. The reality is that the Fairmont is a very good four star hotel and if it were regraded as such then you would have many more satisfied customers and many more positive reviews.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank F B
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your observations on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at The Fairmont St Andrews.

Your feedback is very important to us and I was sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

To allow us to look into your experience further, please do contact us at the following address standrews.scotland@fairmont.com and we will be able to respond appropriately to your experience.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I went for a night in December with family and the room was very nice and clean . I went for a swim in the pool it was brilliant especially with the sauna. I enjoyed my stay at the fairmont also food was tasty and lots to choose from.

Room Tip: Just have what whatever you get all rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your stay with us at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you and your family had such a wonderful time with us and that you are still reminiscing such positive memories seven months on!

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Had stayed at the Fairmont before but first time golfing. Lovely course, great day out and the same amazing service I have come to expect from this hotel. Cannot wait to go back. Great hotel!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience with us at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that once again you had a wonderful time and found the service from our staff to be so exceptional; I will certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team. It’s great that on this occasion you were able to enjoy one our beautiful golf courses and I hope it will not be too long before we can welcome you back to Fairmont St Andrews for yet again another wonderful break, where maybe you could experience our other golf course!
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

The setting is spectacular. We did not even unpack our bags because we could not wait to take the walk along the shore.
The rooms are well appointed and very comfortable. There was a Nespresso machine in our suite and shortbread cookies were left daily.
The breakfast was excellent- huge variety and delicious. I ate in the bar for lunch and enjoyed both the salads and the soup. The dinner we had in the golf club bldg was the best during our stay in St Andrews. We wanted to try the restaurants in town, but if I had to do it again I would have booked more dinners at the Fairmont. (I am a huge fan of salmon, and the salmon dish served at the Fairmont was one of my all time favorites.)
The staff is probably the top reason why we will return to the Fairmont. From the greeting at the door to the concierge to the cordial farewell by the staff, we were impressed by their friendliness and genuine interest in making our stay wonderful.
There is only one very small inconvenience. The Old Course and the downtown area are not walking distance. The hotel provides a shuttle service that drops guests off at 2 locations in town. In the evening, after 6pm, we took taxis. They are readily available.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time with us and left looking forward to your return! I truly believe that it is without a doubt thanks to our staffs professionalism and commitment that allow our guests to enjoy such warm and welcoming experience with us and I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team; especially to those you mention!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future!