“Family Vacation”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Our stay was everything we could have hoped for. The concierge desk was extremely helpful and the hotel staff friendly and knowledgable. Definitely a fabulous place to stay. The food was wonderful and the hotel very clean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you had a wonderful time with us and that you found the service from our staff and your entire experience to be so exceptional; I will certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at the Fairmont on Friday 20th June as part of a charity golf day. The overall stay was exceptional. Breakfast in the morning was excellent with tremendous variety although perhaps the chef could have done with a little extra support during busy periods. The room, decor and overall ambience is great. The only negative I have is that the pool & changing rooms are looking a little tired and deserve a little makeover but this certainly did not have a negative impact on our overall stay. We will come again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you had a wonderful time with us and that you found our hotel, grounds and staff to be of such high quality! I strongly believe that it is without a doubt thanks to our staffs professionalism and commitment that allows our guests to enjoy such warm and welcoming experience with us and I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team.

May I thank you for your additional observations with regards to our Spa; this is most helpful as we look to enhance our guests experience and I shall certainly pass this on to the relevant Director to address.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews for another wonderful experience with us!

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We had a very nice stay here, however having stayed in several other Fairmont Resorts this was by far the poorest. The service wasn't as slick as we had received in North America, which is disappointing as we have always gone back to Fairmonts for this reason.

Each morning the staff ignored our request for Green Tea, having to ask constantly. Slow in cleaning up our dishes and the egg station wasn't manned for omelets etc.

Golf Courses were in excellent condition however and very enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

It is disappointing to learn of your experience at breakfast and that on this occasion we did not demonstrate our usual high standard of serivce. Your feedback is most helpful to us as we continuously look to enhance our guests experience and I shall certainly discuss your comments with the relevant colleagues.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Fairmont is a fine hotel chain, but when I am in Europe it is nice to feel like I'm out of the United States. The thing that bothered me most about this Fairmont, is that it could have been anywhere. It had no 'soul', no character, it could be much more if it would just embrace St. Andrews or even Scotland. So, if you like having a US hotel outside of the US, this is the place.

This hotel is WAY outside of town. It is isolated. It has a great location on the coast, but not in relation to St. Andrews. The view is really great though.

Anyway, check in went well, but they didn't have my President's Club member number. I stayed in a king deluxe room and the amenities included hairdryer, robe (no slippers), soap, shampoo, conditioner, body gel, body lotion, lighted makeup mirror, safe, coffee/tea service (mini bar is not complementary). The towels are good and the shower was nice. The internet is great and the TV had many channels, although I needed help getting the TV to turn on.

I had a spa appointment and it was really great. The spa is very nice and massive, and the pool is good for laps. I would book this hotel again just to use the spa! Breakfast was a fine buffet with ordering off the menu available and the service was fine.

I agree with other reviewers that this is not a 5 star hotel, but they worked very hard to meet all my requests. They printed out several emails for me at the front desk and sent them up to my room. Housekeeping did a good job bringing me extra items and the guest services woman was very helpful. The bed had a saggy side so I slept directly in the middle of a king bed! Pillows were fine.

Just know that this hotel is not in St. Andrews, so if you are not a golfer, you will need to get yourself into town to not be completely bored.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

It is most disappointing to learn that we failed to meet your expectations. We are set just outside of the main town of St Andrews, however for our guests travelling without their own transport or who may prefer to not have to think about parking we do offer a complimentary shuttle service that runs hourly between 9am and 6pm into and out of town and I am sorry if these timings didn’t work with your itinerary.

Whilst I thank you for highlighting areas of improvement, may I also thank you for your complementary comments with regards to the rest of your experience with us. I shall certainly look forward to sharing these with them.

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

The Fairmont would be a good place to stay if you are with a huge conference but otherwise it lacks all the charm and conveniences of staying in the most quaint little town of St.Andrews! Not the most accommodating or friendly environment compared to our lovely B&B in town. The golf courses here are fantastic and preferred the Torrance as closer to the sea! This hotel has no Scottish warmth so stay in town in one of the numerous friendly B&B's or little hotels!

Stayed: June 2014

It is most disappointing to read your review and I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. We are renowned for the friendly and welcoming service and I am sorry that we failed to demonstrate to you on this occasion. However, your feedback is most helpful to us as we continuously look to enhance our guests experience and I shall certainly discuss your comments with the relevant colleagues.

Whilst I thank you for highlighting areas of improvement, may I also thank you for your complementary comments with regards our golf courses.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Huge hotel that is out of Saint Andrews surrounded by golf courses. Rooms are very nice but be prepared for the price. It was a real treat to look out and watch the greenskeepers and their dogs prepare the course each day. The bar was very noisey and the food poor quality but the Italian and seafood resturantes wonderful! Enjoy!

Room Tip: Out of Saint Andrews but they have a shuttle to town. Be sure to ask for a sea view first.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear that overall you had a wonderful experience with us and enjoyed your meal in both La Cucina and The Clubhouse. I shall certainly look forward to sharing your comments with the team!

Our guests feedback is very important to us as we continuously strive to offer only the highest of standards and I was sorry that your dining experience was not replicated in our bar. I shall pass on your comments to our Director of Food and Beverage and ask him to address.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is the place to stay while in St. Andrews. A short 5 minute ride from town. Incredible facilities with excellent service. The staff goes out of their way to make sure you are happy. I'll be back next time I am in St. Andrews.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

I am delighted to learn that you had such a wonderful time with us and you found our staff to be so friendly and helpful. I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews next time you are visiting!.