“Great situation”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in St Andrews
London
“Great situation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

My son age 10 and I visited this hotel in March this year. The situation near St Andrews is perfect and the views, if the East Coast haar had lifted, would have been dramatic. The most delightful part of the stay was the warm welcome by the kilted gentleman at the door who always arranged for parking of our car in an efficient and delightful way. He went out of his way to make us feel welcome and did the hotel proud. This made up for the dispiriting experience at breakfast, both the queuing, and the rather surly girl who eventual waited at our table and who said she didn't enjoy working there, as well as the interminable wait at the buffet for very average breakfast fare. If you are used to a 5 star experience, which we are, then this fell short of the mark by a fairly long distance. However, the situation is perfect and with some thought around staffing and attitudes, I am sure that the management would nit find it hard to make this a personally delightful experience.

Room Tip: Always choose a room looking out to the sea even if the fog is down.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on following your recent stay at The Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted to hear that you had such a fantastic experience with us and that you found the warm welcome and friendliness of our colleagues to be so delightful! I shall look forward to sharing your kind words with the team; especially the one you mention!

It is most concerning however to learn of your experience at breakfast. I have since shared this with the relevant colleagues and asked that this matter is addressed immediately to ensure that our guests can enjoy our usual high level of service at all times.

We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
Medina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Beautiful views, great amenities, and a helpful and friendly staff. If you are in St. Andrews, this is the place to stay. It is a rare thing to find such outstanding service no matter which staff member you are dealing with.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am thrilled to read your review and am delighted that you had such a wonderful experience with us and I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team!

We look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful stay in the future!
Ayr, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Previously stayed here and as always the welcome was very warm and friendly. Staff couldn't be friendlier. Room very comfortable and as always was very clean. Despite hotel seeming busy it was very quiet. Breakfast excellent with good choice of buffet, staff would go out of their way to make sure you had enough coffee and toast. Only criticism was bar prices at £6 for a pint of Pieroni a bit over the top but I suppose that's hotel prices for you. Biggest disappointment was La Cuccina restaurant we had never eaten in it on previous trips and though we would give it a try. We were asked if we wanted water and before we could ask for tap water ( which we noticed later everyone else had) we were given a bottle of still water which ended up costing £4.50, we chose soup of the day but if you wanted bread with it you had to order it as a side order. One if the main dishes was want to be tagliatelle with an Italian sausage and mushroom sauce, asked for no mushrooms which was fine but dish looked totally unappetising and sauce was just minced sausage and very little pasta. Wouldn't recommend this restaurant and would recommend eating in the bar as the burgers looked delicious, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at The Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable time with us and may I thank you for your kind words. I believe it is with thanks to our teams friendliness and professionalism that allow our guests to feel so welcome and I shall certainly look forward to sharing your review with them.

We set high standards for our cuisine and as a matter of course monitor our prices throughout the hotel to ensure that they are in line with other five star establishments within Scotland. It is most disappointing that your meal in La Cucina did not meet with your expectations on this occasion. I will certainly pass your comments onto the La Cucina team to ensure that our guests dining experience are of the highest order at all times and that our prices continue to be closely monitored.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just spent three days at this amazing hotel, from the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome, Davy the concierge greeted us as if we were long lost friends. We had two Fairmont View Rooms, a must if you book as you get great views of St Andrews Bay and the town. The first evening we went to Cucina an authentic Italian, the staff even greeted you in Italian, a nice little touch.

Our 11 year old enjoyed splash time and had a great time as there were many other families here with plenty to keep the children happy. For the second evening we booked the Clubhouse where we tucked into lobster and scallops which were only caught the same morning in St Andrews Bay, so no food miles as it was about 500m away

What would I fault, - we had to leave.

Room Tip: The Fairmont View room is a must if you want the best view of St Andrews Bay
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and experienced some flavours from Italy in La Cucina along with a some more local ‘delights’ in The Clubhouse! I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team; especially to Davie!

We look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable experience!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely stay at this hotel .The standard of accommodation is excellent with large bedrooms and en suite . The staff are friendly and professional , helping to make our stay enjoyable . We also used the spa and enjoyed hot stones massage , well worth the money . We had two meals in the golf clubhouse and would recommend that for stunning views as well as excellent food, however we had 1 meal in the newly opened La Cucina and were very disappointed in the standard of food there, however it may be it was a one off and will not stop us returning to The Fairmont.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stathnairn
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at The Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time with us and that you left with such positive memories.

La Cucina whilst this is proving to be very popular with our guests and I would like to thank you for highlighting your experience. I shall share your comments with our team to ensure we offer our usual high standard of cuisine at all times.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Agawam, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

When you drive up the long winding driveway, you are greeted with a sprawling green golf course, beautiful hotel, and stunning beach. Those working the reception desk are friendly and accommodating. One of the bartenders, Tdiersk (I think), was constantly smiling, and came back to my friends and i every so often to check up on us. He told us that if we needed anything at all, he would get it for us. Another bartender, Ross, was constantly refilling our drinks, knowing and remembering each of our orders every time. He even served us some of his favorite drinks, and explained everything he served us to a tee. A third bartender, Madeline, was very sweet, and always served us with a smile. A waitress, I believe she was called Ellen, had curly red hair, was serving us late at night, and early at breakfast. She told us about her self, and asked us about how we all met, where we've traveled, etc. We talked to her for a long time, and she was very nice. My one complaint is about a bartender called Nick. Everytime we passed the bar he would follow us with his eyes, then throw his head back and laugh. It made us quite uncomfortable, and I took it upon myself to ask a man at the desk opposite the concierge, called Vincent, to show me another way to my room. He ended up walking us there, and was our bartender that night. He was so nice! Also, a housekeeper who was young and with glasses, noticed me trying to find the lobby, and walked me all the way there. My last waiter, at dinner my final night, was tall and had his hair slicked back, joked with my table all throughout dinner. Id go back in a heartbeat just for the view and the staff. Lovely hotel that id recomend to everyone going for any reason.

Room Tip: The thick walls mean all rooms are quiet, but rooms on the same floor as the lobby are the best, as...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

I am thrilled that you had such and wonderful time from the moment drove up our sweeping driveway to the moment you left and may I thank you for your kind words; I shall certainly look forward to sharing your review with the team!

It is however disappointing to learn of you experience with one of the bartenders and whilst I am confident that it was not intentional I am sorry. I shall ensure that this is addressed and our usual high level of professional service is demonstrated at all times.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.
Owosso
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Service from the staff was outstanding on all levels. The room was beautiful & spacious. I loved the location of the hotel as it looked over St Andrews and we had beautiful sunsets! I can’t think of anything negative to say about our stay

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Kathryn E
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this review, 31 July 2014

We look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful stay in the future!