We selected this hotel as a special birthday celebration, based on good reviews and recommendation from friends. Initial impressions were very good, from the warm reception (including a glass of Proseco for the birthday boy!) to the large well-appointed room with a view over one of the hotel's two golf courses and the quite impressive spa and pool. The concierge service is friendly and efficient (with local staff). However, most of the other staff we came into contact with were not local but, although very efficient, seemed to be East European.
We were staying on a B&B basis and had intended to sample restaurants in St Andrews but because the hotel's shuttle bus did not run after 6.00pm (the hotel is about 3 miles outside the town) we decided to eat in the hotel. It is here that I feel the hotel is lacking. The hotel is very much designed on the American model and within the hotel there is only one place to dine. This is an Italian restaurant which we found to be of average quality. Surprisingly, to us, the only other place to dine was in the Golf Clubhouse which is located about a half-mile away. We walked but a shuttle is available if required. The views over the sea and St Andrews Bay are stunning but the ambience of the room is unattractive and dining experience is very ordinary (cost for set three course meal for two, £73 including a glass of wine). Breakfast, however, is excellent and strongly recommended.
Overall, I would recommend the hotel for golfers. Indeed, many of the guests were American on golf package holidays. There was a further disappointment at check-out as the bill was inaccurate. We were being charged for an expensive bottle of wine in the clubhouse which we did not have and had not signed for but somehow had found its way onto the print-out after the check was signed. The error, of course, was rectified but did not leave a good impression.
Will we go back - perhaps not as there are better hotels around in this price-bracket .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on a 520 acre estate with a unique coastal setting, Fairmont St Andrews has something for everyone. From lavish rooms to a luxurious spa, championship golf to exquisite dining, our five star attention to detail is unsurpassed. Enjoy the views overlooking the medieval St Andrews and the North Sea. Play golf on The Torrance and The Kittocks or wind down in our Fairmont Spa with locally themed treatments using the finest Ishga Skin Care products. Indulge in delicate pastries and cakes in our Savoy Afternoon Tea experience served in the Atrium Lounge with a rich colour scheme and nautical elements that reflect the surrounding landscape including a lighting installation by renowned artist George Singer. We guarantee your stay will become a treasured memory! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Fairmont Hotels, Odigeo, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, LateRooms, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Fairmont St Andrews reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont St Andrews Hotel St. Andrews
- St Andrews Fairmont
- Fairmont St Andrews Scotland