Fairmont St Andrews
US$208
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
3,664 results
All reviewsla cucinakittocks denrock and spindlecourtesy busgolf coursebar and grillafternoon teabeautiful hotelchanging roomsspa treatmentsleisure facilitiesfront of housesea viewgreat golfspecial occasionjunior suitebirthday treat
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My family of four spent a night here at the end of a week of golfing that included stays at Gleneagles and The Renaissance Club. This is no Gleneagles.

The property is a monster situated on the seaside slopes about 5 miles east of St. Andrews. You are completely removed from the town and isolated from Scotland. We were warmly greeted by our parking attendant, Mark and Dave, who not only parked cars but brought luggage to the room and showcased the property. They are the highlight of this property.

The front desk was stern and directed. No warmth here. No upgrade for our two rooms. Nothing, just a credit card and keys.

The hotel is Disney-esque with large convention spaces and eating areas. It was not busy on our Thursday noontime arrival. The rooms looked like nice Starwood or Hilton rooms in the USA. Well appointed with a nice view of the golf course and distant sea.

We played golf on The Torrance Course. No caddies, no buggies... walk or trolley only. Now, that is not bad but for a resort course this 18 hole layout is an butt kicker. Long and nasty everywhere including burns that front at least 5 holes requiring total air carries... again this is a serious course for serious golfers.

All in all, I would not stay here again. I favor the Scotland experience if I am going to be in the country and not staying in St. Andrew's is simply shameful!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent experience at Fairmont St Andrews.

It is most disappointing that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. Our guests feedback is invaluable to us and I shall certainly discuss your comments with the relevant teams.

Whilst the Torrance Course is a walking course, with the exception of guests with a medical certificate, caddies are available upon request. However we do also have Kittocks where buggies are available for guests should they wish.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

The hotel is a little out of town but they have a free shuttle to St Andrews and back. The hotel itself is nice but the service at the bar was consistently bad. We ate at the bar twice and we very disappointed with the service both times.
The grounds are lovely and the golf course is brilliant.
Overall - Could take it or leave it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay with us; however I was disappointed to learn that the service in the bar did not meet with your expectations. Your comments are most helpful and I will discuss your these with the relevant colleagues to ensure our guests enjoy our usual high standard of service at all times.

Whilst I thank you for highlighting this, may I thank you for your kind words with regard to the hotel, our grounds and the golf courses; I shall certainly look forward to sharing this with the team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

This hotel is good value for the room rate. Our room was large and well furnished. Our bathroom spacious and well lit with both a big oval bath and walk in shower, and there was plenty of hot water. The sea view over the golf course and beyond was lovely. The staff were welcoming and friendly. Valets parked our car. Nothing was too much trouble.

The stone fireplace at the entrance is impressive. The spa, treatment rooms, swimming pool and gym are nicely done, well equipped and relaxing. But other common areas like the bar area and breakfast area aren't as special, and not well laid out. One of the best views of the sea is in an area that is hardly used because of the way the hotel is laid out. Shame. It should have been the entrance, or the primary dining area. It's just wasted space.

The hotel was hosting the Senior Scottish Open while we were there, but it didn't feel at all intrusive. It is only a short drive into St Andrews and to the Old Course.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at The Fairmont St Andrews.

I am delighted that you had such a wonderfully relaxing time with us and that everything about your stay was so enjoyable! I shall certainly look forward to sharing your kind words with the team!

Thank you for your additional observations, these are most helpful. I shall certainly share them with the relevant teams and ask that they consider these as we continue to look at ways to enhance our guests experience.

We look forward welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

This is a big American style resort hotel. We stayed in an executive suite which is lovely with great views. The Italian restaurant was good, but a bit limited and very noisy with lots of kids. Breakfast is fantastic. Staff are polite and helpful but maybe lacking the warmth of the concierge (Scottish) who really knows how to treat people. Just lacks character,warmth and the extra little touches you expect in a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Suites are on ground floor which is a bit unusual and a path does run quite close to the window in the sitting room of th one we were in.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall time with us and found your suite to be so comfortable whilst absorbing the picturesque views!

Our guests feedback is very helpful to us and I would like to thank you for your additional comments and observations. I shall share these with the relevant colleagues to ensure our guests experience our usual warm and professional high standards throughout the hotel at all times.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Fairmont St Andrews in the future!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We have just returned from a short stay at the Fairmont, This was our first experience of this chain of hotels, I often travel with my husband when he is away on business and the location is nice, we always stay in 5 star hotels throughout the UK, Europe and further afield.

We arrived at the Fairmont after a long fragmented 9 hour drive...initial impressions as you approach are splendid with it sitting in spectacular sculptured golf course surroundings with a beautiful view over the Town, Castle & bay of St Andrews...

The stay for us was disappointing, let down by poor service in a number of locations and miscommunication down at the reception desk...
On checking in, We asked to extend our stay by on an extra day in our nice quiet deluxe room we had booked and was told it was possible and to come back down after getting in the room, we quickly changed for a meal in the Italian...We went down stairs and was told by another member of staff on the desk, "to go get our meal and she would sort it" on return to her after a brief meal ( served the the wrong starter) she said she had not done anything about it, she then tapped a few keys on the PC and said "it was not possible" we told her that her colleague has said it was and she just shrugged her shoulders and dismissed us, at which point we decided to leave her to reflect on her poor service and went to bed after a very long tiresome day.

Next morning my Husband went off to meetings throughout Scotland & I went down to the desk to ask about keeping the room again...on this occasion I was told that the room was gone but they would upgrade me to a suite and to wait in the room for them to move me...Being only there for a couple of days I had planned to visit St Andrews for shopping, but they left me in the room for 6 hours before the original guy on reception called me, to ask if we still wanted to keep our room! He was blissfully unaware of what had happened and our poor treatment. Therefore my only chance to visit St Andrews was ruined by then telling me to wait for the room change...very disappointing.

The suite was not as nice as our Deluxe room, just had a bigger seating area and they placed us right over the drop off / concierge area, so we had noise & car, van doors being slammed throughout a sleepless night!

On a plus point, breakfast was nice and a young lady in the bar called Alice was superb whilst her two male colleagues looked on and appeared to be "tip hunting" the larger golfing parties whilst Alice raced round serving all the other guests with a smile and a chat (well done young lady)

On checkout the supervisor acknowledged our disappointment regards the lost time I had on our short stay and made a kind gesture...

My Husband is a regular visitor to this area, so I will give them benefit of the doubt, and hope for a better stay when we visit again next month...

In summary, wonderful hotel, but some staff are letting the Fairmont product down!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms above the entrance to the hotel if you want a quite pea full nights sleep.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank charzmum
Louise_Bennet, PA to General Manager at Fairmont St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Trip Advisor page following your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I was sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations.

To allow us to look into your experience further, I would be grateful if you would contact us at the following address standrews.scotland@fairmont.com to ensure we are able to respond appropriately to the issues you have raised on this site.