“I would like to have been able to recommend this hotel but the uncooked chicken episode won't let me - shame”

Fairmont St Andrews
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Lancashire
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Just come back form a 10 day stay at The Fairmont. Excellent welcome at the hotel - great service at reception - they kept breakfast open for us even though it was supposed to finish at 10 am. The most awful ambient music in the massive breakfast room - felt like you should be having a massage not haggis and eggs!! Breakfast was amazing - freshly cooked and loads of choice but this is the only positive thing I can say about the food. We were served raw chicken one evening and the kids who were masquerading as staff could not deal with the complaint. Eventually someone in an ill fitting suit - he never claimed to be a manager - so we weren't sure of his actual role - came out - said the chef was sorry and we didn't have to pay for the chicken starter although we had to pay for the rest of the meal and glibly offered us a drink on the house - which by this time we didnt want. I am actually appalled that a hotel at this level did not have an english speaking manager who could deal with a situation like this. We were not happy with how the situation was dealt with and he could see that, but he just walked off. Now The Open was due to start in a few days after this and I wonder how Justin Rose or one of the golfers we saw in the restaurant that very evening would have felt if he had been served uncooked bloody chicken - and then offered a drink to say sorry......
Apart from the overpriced and very bland food on offer and the most awful architecture - the glass atrium covering the centre of the hotel resembled an airport and the layout of the restaurants looked like an american shopping mall - the rooms and front desk service (great concierges!) were brilliant. I would like to have been able to recommend this hotel but the uncooked chicken episode wont let me........shame.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Jools66Lancashire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
SCOTLAND
Reviewed 11 July 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a 1 night stay at this hotel wih our 7 year old daughter and 2 year old son. We have stayed there several times before and once again the hotel has been wonderful.

The staff are lovely. They are so helpful and friendly and go out of their way to speak to our children who love the attention! The rooms are lovely also and very spacious. We had a room with 2 double beds and although there were 4 of us it didn't feel cramped at all.

We didn't dine at the hotel but instead made use of the courtesy bus which took us into Zizzi's in St Andrews and then came and picked us up when we were finished, a great service! (Would recommend Zizzi's for anyone with young children as the staff are great and the food is good aswell)

We used the valet parking service for our car and there were no problems at all. The concierges were lovely (again!!) and they even took our children outside to let them see a helicopter taking off !

We have used the kids club in the past but didn't have time this weekend. Our daughter was very disappionted as she loves it! Instead we used the pool which was very nice.

We have just joined the Presidents club and we will definetly be back!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Just returned from our second visit to the hotel. Had a lovely time. Rooms are great, service was amazing. I love how much space there is. My toddler son loved it. We liked it much better than the old course hotel. My only complaint would be the food at the Squire could be better. The mini bus into St Andrews was great and the driver was such a character :)

Also treated myself to a facial this time and it was very good quality.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Scotland
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I've stayed at the St Andrews Bay many, many times of the last few years and can honestly say it is one of the best I have stayed in. I too travel a lot for business and have stayed in many supposed 5* hotels that are not a patch on this one. Don't get me wrong, nothing in life is perfect and there have been some minor issues, but these are always dealt with efficiently by the staff. On the subject of the staff, from Reception to back of house, they are friendly and always attentive. In particular the club house bar / restaurant staff are fantastic. As are the concierges....the comment re looking out for the big tippers is absolutely not true. I'm a fairly ordinary type of person and always receive a fabulous service. Though, having sometimes heard how some visitors talk to staff, I can understand perhaps why they don't get the same level of service. Some times, other guests and their uncontrollable children can be a nuisance, but the resort is so large you can usually find a quiet space. The food is first class, the rooms superb and the facilities second to none.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Had a great stay at this hotel, a very warm and friendly welcome. We went for one night and had a spa package. The spa treatments were fantastic, very professional staff, and the facilities were in top condition, and included a sauna, steam room and jaccuzi next to the pool. My husband played a game of golf on a very well maintained golf course.
Our room was very spacious and the bathroom had both a bath and shower. The whole experience was very luxurious and had a fantastic sleep on a very comfy bed!
Breakfast was great, and there were plenty of very friendly and helpful staff around to serve.
The hotel is a short journey away from the main town of st andrews. There was a shuttle bus service available however we just drove ourselves. This had a positive point as you are more into the country and allows for great scenery.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 1 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Fairmont in St Andrews for one night. I found the receptionists, both at check in and check out very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and very comfortable. The seperate bath and shower were great and the bath products smelled really nice..The breakfast was excellent, the young lady who brought our tea/coffee and toast was lovely and afterwards we sat for a while in the Atrium and read the paper.
The grounds are beautifully kept. Overall, the hotel has a very relaxed feel. I thought, before we arrived, that it was going to be quite formal but this wasn't the case. The courtesy bus was great as we went into St Andrews for a meal and a drink and we called the number we were given by the driver, who came and picked us up. Excellent service.
We would love to return and try the spa treatments next time.
The only thing I would say was that there is no free wifi and it was quite expensive at £6 for a wee while. Most of the hotels provide this free. Perhaps the Fairmont will do this in the future. Overall I give it 5 stars.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2010

This was my 4th visit to this hotel in the past 5 years, used to be called the St Andrews Bay Hotel.

From the moment you drive up the very impressive long drive & are greeted by extremely friendly staff, one of whom unloads your car & then parks it for you, this hotel impresses.

The rooms are spacious, very well designed & equipped & have the most wonderful bathroom, complete with under floor heating, large bath & walk in large shower. The rooms are very clean & kept that way during your stay.

We ate in the bar and it was quite reasonable for a 5 star hotel & I'm rather a fussy vegetarian & there wasn't a lot on the menu for me but they said that I only had to ask & they would do their best to give me the food I wanted - and they did.

The gym is a good size for the hotel as is the swimming pool. Didn't use the spa facilities this time but have in the past & enjoyed my relaxing massage.

Buffet breakfast is plentiful & there is also an egg station so you can get any type of egg you wish.

Really great hotel with friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family