“Wonderful Claremont”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Andrews
Castlemount Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 72 St Andrews B&B and Inns
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Claremont”
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a2night stay at the Claremont what can I say truly wonderful. The owner Jerry couldn't be more helpful, our room was lovely, clean and very comfortable with fabulous views. The breakfast what can I say it was truly fabulous, as was the staff who couldn't have been more friendly. I couldn't recommend this B&B more highly and I will certainly be returning. Helen

Stayed March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Excellent! From the moment we arrived and were greeted by Clair with a friendly Welcome and lot's of helpful local info to the over the top breakfasts and the most lovely and comfortable accommodations we loved it. Great location across from the North Sea and close to restaurants, shopping and everything we were hoping for.

Room Tip: The patio suite was great!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We have stayed here three times and it has always been excellent. The convenience, the view, the homely breakfast and warm welcome couldn't be better. Parking is right outside and you are in close proximity to the shops and restaurants. The hosts are always pleased to help you. The rooms are also homely, clean and tidy. Checking in and out is flexible - we even did some washing!

Room Tip: They only have a few as it is their home. Book early.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tim J
Edinburgh
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We have to concur with all the favourable reviews - we had a first class experience at Castlemount and couldn't fault it in any way. We received a warm welcome, had a beautiful room with a very comfortable bed and found the owners accommodating in the extreme. The service was efficient, friendly yet non-intrusive and the breakfast was well prepared and beautifully presented - just what we hope for at any B&B but rarely find. When we return to St Andrews, we will look no further for suitable accommodation.

Thank you Jerry & staff!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Hampden, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We spent 8 amazing days at this B&B. Our hosts were incredibly friendly & helpful. Although they were away when we arrived, we were greeted by their daughter, Claire, who was a lovely substitution. We couldn't have stayed in a better location, close to town, golf, with the North Sea out our windows. Breakfasts were delicious served in a lovely room overlooking a ruined castle and the sea. Our rooms were spacious and tastefully decorated with very comfortable beds. We plan on visiting St. Andrews again and when we do we wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed November 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

I have never written a review for Trip advisor but feel after the appalling two days I spent in Castlemount I feel compelled to share the awful experience of the staff working for the B and B.

We booked this venue due to the great reviews of the friendly service people had received. Unfortunately the couple who run the B and B were away and had left the running of the place to their somewhat incapable and rude daughter, Claire.

Our first encounter with her was the night before we arrived at the venue, she had called my partner and pretty much demanded to know where we were, we had originally booked for 3 nights but reduced our Stay to 2 nights, unfortunately the person who my fiancé spoke to regarding this matter 3 weeks earlier had not passed on the message that we would only be staying for the 2 nights therefore due to no fault of ours she hadn't been informed of our shortened stay.

When we eventually arrived at the B & B we were greeted by a man who had no clue as to what he was doing, this wasn't his fault, apparently Claire had gone out and had left this poor man to deal with the new arrivals. The b & b itself is nice, the setting is great, the rooms are comfortable and breakfast is nice with plenty of choice.

It was obvious Claire had a dislike for us, a member of staff even said, "oh you're the couple Claire was expecting yesterday" as if to insinuate that we were the talk of the b&b because we had shortened our stay to 2 nights.

On the morning of our departure whilst we and other residents of the venue were having breakfast in the dining area to my horror Claire entered the room with no shoes or socks on, this is not something I want to see whilst eating my breakfast and is certainly not hygienic, this however was only the first of 3 encounters with Claire that morning.

Shortly after she had entered the room barefoot she pretty much threw the bill at me for our stay, a great little touch whilst trying to enjoy a meal.

After loading up the car my fiancé went to settle the bill which was earlier shoved into our faces, now as we are in 2013 my fiancé did what any person would and reached for her credit card to pay for the room, she wouldn't accept a card payment. This must be the only b&b in Scotland that doesn't accept payment by plastic.

Claire offered no solution to this problem, all she could say was,
"We'll you'll just have to go to the cash machine". How helpful.

After drawing out cash from the bank I returned to Castlemount to pay the balance, as we had already checked out I no longer had a key so I waited at the front door for 5 minutes before I was let in by an elderly gentleman who I think was family of the owners.

I informed him that I needed to pay the balance, he politely told me that Claire had gone to get her nails done, I was confused by this as she knew we had to come back and pay for the room and we were only gone for about 10 minutes to withdraw the cash.

Luckily the cook was still in the dining area upstairs so I paid the bill with her.

We felt we had such a cold, inhospitable welcome at the b&b, I'm sure the owners are fantastic at what they do and this is apparent from previous reviews, I just hope they don't leave what is obviously their pride and joy with their incompetent daughter.

The stay was such a disappointment from what we were expecting, I'd advise that Claire goes on some form of customer service course as her skills in this area are non existent.

When you book this B&B please ensure the owners are there as I think your stay would be much more enjoyable.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Ashley B
Linda B, Owner at Castlemount Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
We are sorry you are very disappointed with your stay at Castlemount. Personality conflicts are never pretty nor one sided. Character assignation is never acceptable and creates more long term problems than solutions. Our staff are professionally trained to deal with difficult situations and unusual requests. They are also instructed to call guests who are late to see if they are lost, missed flights or have other difficulties. The only problem here is that, if the first night was cancelled, it was not entered in the registry with a cancellation code.

The fact that we do not take credit cards is well noted on our web site, on a notice board in all rooms and when the booking was made. The credit card details serve as the booking tracking number. It is a valid business decision which I made as to how I operate my payment procedures. If this is a problem, then one should stay where credit cards are accepted.

My daughter had to rush off un-expectantly to the airport to pick up her grandfather and not some frivolous jaunt as intimated in your TA entry. The gent left behind was the electrician who was helping us out and had instructions on which room you were assigned. This was so you did not have to wait for my daughter to return. As far as entering the dining room in her bare feet, I might add that they were clean bare feet just out of the shower - based on your commentary, I take it you would never allow anyone to enter the dining area at your home in their bare feet.

Bottom line is we are a private house which does Bed and Breakfast. We do not have a credit card machine or a receptionist and we have various commitments which require us to go out during the day. If we can not contact you by cell phone and you do not contact us regarding your arrival time, it is difficult to organise the day to day running of the house and our personal affairs

Jerry Beaulier.
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We felt that out of all the hotels we stayed in Scotland, six in all, this was by far the best experience. The owners of the Castlemount were very knowledgeable and kind.

Jerry let my husband borrow his clubs which was very generous. We had a wonderful view of the North Sea. Stay at the Castlemount you will not be sorry.

Pat and George Zeil