“Large rooms, delicious and huge breakfast”
Review of Greyfriars Hotel

Greyfriars Hotel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in St Andrews
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The best things in this hotel are its really large rooms - very, very large! - and its breakfast, simply DELICIOUS and... huge :) I advise to select the Scottish breakfast at least once. I would disagree with Brandon's review as the service is really friendly (as everything in this little town). As I now work in St Andrews I had occasional lunches at Greyfriars with visiting friends and they thought they were great! The hotel is located in the heart of the town - however note St Andrews is VERY SMALL, so location does not really matter as much as everything is handy.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I just spent four nights at this hotel and I was truly sorry to leave. From the minute I walked in and got a warm greeting from the innkeepers, I felt like it was my home away from home in St. Andrews. It's charming, clean, and the food in the restaurant is fantastic. (I would rate it as the best breakfast I had in all of Scotland!) Greyfriars is conveniently located in the heart of town, so an easy walk to the Castle and Cathedral ruins and shopping. And if you're playing golf, it's just two blocks to the first tee at the Old Course. so you can walk there. Best of all, there was a free parking lot right next door, so easy parking every day. I would stay here again in a heartbeat! Super friendly, super value.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed here for a visit to the university , very pleasant welcome on arrival , large family room, which was great for our visit. Breakfast was good. Staff very friendly albeit very busy. Great location for our purpose , managed to park our car near by and then we were able to walk everywhere we needed to be.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Was visiting a friend in St Andrews a month ago. Went to the restaurant here seeking a halfway decent meal. I'd have done better to drink from the Scottish sewers. The food was bland, lacked flavor, and was clearly reheated from a previous day (or who knows, maybe even month). The waitress glared at us the entire stay, made snide homophobic remarks, told us we were not welcome to return, and overcharged us. Management was nowhere to be found. I was expecting better service in a nice, cozy, college town.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brandon E
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stayed the night at this hotel at the end of January. The bedroom was lovely, and good value for money.the only downside to it was that everything squeeked. The floorboards, the chair, the bed,even the toilet. They really need to do something about the floorboards. Breakfast was very good, and the staff, very nice.

Room Tip: We were at the back of the hotel,so nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jfrd
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Once again a superb reception, lovely cosy room with everything you could need. Staff very helpful. Bar very well stocked for those keen on a tipple. Good food and service. Delicious breakfast selection to set up you're day. Very central in St Andrews where you can have a coastal walk or trawl the varied shops. A 5 minute walk to the old course for the golfing fans. Jinty and the team know how to deliver excellent customer service. We will be back

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2014

When I write this review, I haven't check out yet. It shows that how much I want to give credit to the hotel staff for a job well done during my 7 days stay here. The main thing for the team here is that they serve you from the bottom of their heart whether they are from the reception , house keeping or the kitchen. They treat you as you are their family members. They offer their assistance in all situation whether it is in the wee hour of the morning or even late into the night.
The team is so detail that they prearranged thing in advance. They are ever so ready for us and my family. Special mention has to give to ms. Jinty. She is one of the most helpful persons I ever met. The weather in st Andrews now is cold but our heart is warm because of the wonderful team of this hotel. Will definite come back to this hotel again in my next visit. Review by sim, Malaysia

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family