“Pleasantly surprised”

Price range: US$6 - US$90
Cuisines: European, Scottish, British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Doll's House is one of St Andrew's most recognisable spots to eat & drink- 2015 sees the restaurant celebrate its 20th anniversary. Specialising in hearty "good mood food", The Doll's House offers a diverse range of quality offers- from weekend brunch to value market menu dining. As well as an abundance of fresh scones and pastries, the main menu is packed full of lighter bites like big bowl salads and shellfish specials, along with a hearty mix of casseroles and roasts. We like to think there are some nice little touches too, like the "Eden Brewery Beer Battered Fish", and a new signature piece- a scrummy and slightly indulgent afternoon tea for two. Those joining us at The Dolls House for Sunday Roast every week can feel good about the splurge- we will donate 50p from the sale of each roast to Families First- a local charity based in the area. On the drinks list, you'll find a wonderful selection of gins to suit every palate, complimented by a range of carefully selected fresh garnishes and premium tonics. If you are looking for a spot of something sweeter, the Liquid Dessert range is exactly what it sounds like- a small but perfectly formed collection of cocktails that taste like their pudding namesake. Upstairs in the Eden Mill Private Dining Room, we can cater for cosy dinner parties and celebrations for groups of up to 12.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was my first visit to the Dolls House Restaurant and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by both the food and service provided. The latter was professional yet friendly and the food delicious. We arrived just in time for the early evening menu, which at £11.95 for two courses, offered good value for money and we all left feeling very satisfied and unfortunately unable to even consider dessert. All in all, I would happily recommend the Dolls House restaurant and I only wish that I had discovered it sooner!

• Visited June 2014
Lynn C, Manager at Dolls House Restaurant, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed the two course early evening menu. I am glad you found it to be good value and tasty. Our chef's work very hard to maintain menus that are varied and good value. This includes the two course lunch for £7.95 and the individually priced a la carte dinner menu also. We hope you'll visit us again soon.

Supervisor

• Greek first
Seattle, Washington
“Chaotic service, okay food”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My grandson and I were looking for a relaxed evening in a nice restaurant. We made a reservation the same day we planned to go so didn't complain when we were given a table practically in the doorway of the upstairs portion. Initially three waiters stopped by for a drink order so there was some confusion about who was assigned to us.
My grandson explained to each person that stopped by that he wanted a dish without mushrooms and asked for advice. Each offered helpful suggestions. We placed our order and received two slices of bread and some butter along with our drinks. Two additional people stopped by to discuss the "mushroom issue" but we received no more food for about an hour.
Waiters whizzed by (we were on their path up the stairs and to the other diners) but it was near impossible to get anyone's attention to inquire about our order although there seemed to be at least five different waiters working the small upstairs. My impression was that everyone was flying about, working hard, but in a poorly organized fashion. No one would make eye contact with us.
Finally, after an hour or so, we were able to get someone to stop and that person didn't know about our order but brought us two more slices of bread. About fifteen minutes later food arrived including a dish for my grandson topped with mushrooms! It was delivered by yet another server. We never did figure out who our assigned server was. My grandson scraped the mushrooms off and proceeded with his meal. We were both quite hungry by that time.
We explained to two different people that overall the food was enjoyable but we were disappointed about the mushrooms showing up. We tried to be polite and friendly about it. Both people commiserated about the problem and then rushed off. The mistake was never acknowledged although I am not sure the problem was ever communicated to the chef or anyone with any authority. I would have thought someone would have stopped by and said "sorry".
Overall, the atmosphere was a bit chaotic but the food was enjoyable even for my grandson after he scraped the mushrooms off. Waitstaff expended a lot of energy without providing much in the way of service. We never figured out if anyone was assigned to our table. I wondered if everyone was new and learning. Quite disappointed overall.

• Visited June 2014
Lynn C, Manager at Dolls House Restaurant, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear guest

I am very sorry to hear that you didn't have an enjoyable meal with us. We have recently gone through a period of hiring new employees and this may have contributed to the confusion you mentioned. I sincerely apologise that you and your grandson were kept waiting and your order wasn't managed effectively. Had this been brought to the duty manager's attention on the night, your concerns would have been addressed straight away. I am sorry this didn't happen. I hope, if you dine with us again, your next visit will be more positive.

Nantwich
“Fletcher's Northern Sojourn 2014”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a lunch here after a visit to the mecca of golf, the R & A. Simply lunch menu with interesting choices. Quiet & comfortable inside table, with some outdoor tables. Service was efficient with a young team, could do with a bit more atmosphere. The presentation & food quality was very good, with a nice little touch of bread & oil/balsamic. Definitely worth a visit.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am very pleased to hear you that you had an enjoyable lunch and found the food to be of a high standard and service efficient. We hope you'll visit us again soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“lovely menu”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

An excellent restaurant in the heart of beautiful St Andrews. We dined early so took advantage of the very reasonably priced pre-theatre menu. The food was delicious and I would recommend the poached salmon with curried mussels, artichoke and potatoes in a red pepper sauce followed by the citrus cheesecake which is the best I've ever had and so light and refreshing. As it was a warm evening we dined in their courtyard in the peaceful wee square and the staff and service were excellent.

Visited June 2014
Lynn C, Manager at Dolls House Restaurant, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for writing an excellent review. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed the two course early evening menu outside in the square, right in the heart of the town. As you say, it is excellent value and the salmon and cheesecake are very popular choices. Thank you for complimenting the friendly staff and service. We hope you will visit us again soon.

Supervisor
Troon, United Kingdom
“good value and friendly staff.”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

early evening supper was well cooked and served. we went without a reservation but they found a table for us.

Visited June 2014