“Superb New Year Jazz Brunch”

Road Hole Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 149 Restaurants in St Andrews
Price range: US$25 - US$73
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish, Contemporary, British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: With an award-winning team, the very best of Scotland’s larder and a passion and flare for the delicious and delectable. This is the Road Hole Restaurant at the Old Course Hotel - The Home of Scottish Cuisine in the Home of Golf.
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Once again, we thoroughly enjoyed the New Year Jazz Brunch on the top floor of the Old Course Hotel. Fantastic views across the golf courses and St Andrews Bay. Polite and cheerful welcome. Top level friendly and professional service. Amazing range of high quality hot and cold foods. All in all, a memorable and enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I spent a very happy evening at the Road Hole restaurant with my family. The food was fantastic and the service very good. The lobster gratin was one of the best things I have ever eaten! The steak was cooked to perfection and the desserts were also superb - especially the pistachio creme brulee and marzipan ice cream. The atmosphere was lovely and we enjoyed sitting in a cozy corner listening to the live piano music. The only complaint we had was that a couple of people in our group order Flat White coffees and were served bitter cappuccinos instead, but we were all so happily full of delicious food that it didn't really affect our enjoyment of the evening at all! I would certainly recommend this restaurant for special occasions and very much hope I will have the opportunity to eat here again.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have been here quite a few times but only ever for lunch so can't comment on dinner. The lunch is incredible value at £16.50 for 3 courses. There is only 3 choices per course but I have never struggled to find something to tempt me, quite the opposite in fact. The starters & desserts don't change very often but the mains seem to change every week. The standard of cooking & presentation is exactly what you would expect from such a high-end hotel but without the high-end prices. There is often local produce on the menu especially delicious fish & seafood. The views over the Old Course are spectacular & it's great to watch the golfers going past. Make sure you reserve a table at the window. The only reason I haven't given this 5 stars is the service doesn't quite match up to everything else. There is always that feeling of being served by hotel staff as opposed to waiting staff dedicated to that restaurant. Still you will not find a better lunch for this price anywhere.
NB In the winter lunch is only served at weekends.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We visited the Road Hole Restaurant for our anniversary dinner and had high expectations of food and service.
We both ordered off the a la Carte menu and had the East Neuk crab, orange and fennel salad as a starter and the Porkbelly with lobster for the main course.
The service was very good with waiters being rather attentive and the location of our table was also very pleasing with a nice view of the Old Course and West Sands.

While the food was indeed of high quality and tasted good, it was a little too expensive for what it was.

It's definitely a place to visit again, however,only for a very special occasion.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Once again my wife and I went to the Road hole for Sunday lunch, with big expectations as usual. The starters were wonderful, my wife had the beef and she found it tasteless. I had the risotto and it was terrible, it was like mush and tasteless. The waitress offered to change my dish, but I wasn't in the mood anymore. The desserts and wine were terrific. This hasn't put us of going as we love it, but I think it only fair to pass on all comments, for the benefit of the chefs too. My risotto should not have got passed the pass.